Hey all,

I was just wondering if it would be bad to leave my Blackberry on the charging dock? I am on the computer most of the day so my Blackberry would be on the charger during that time. I'm using it as a stand too. So am I damaging it?

Thanks
    10-08-09 10:22 PM
    No because once its charge, it just becomes a pretty holder LOL

I have one in my bedroom for thru the night and one in my kitchen on the counter, so its usually on one or the other.. you cant overcharge on a dock
    10-08-09 10:25 PM
    No, it won't hurt to leave your BlackBerry on the charger most of the day. It will stop charging when fully charged, you can't over-charge it, and the lithium-ion battery does not have the memory effect that older battery technologies had, so frequent recharges won't hurt it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 10:26 PM
    I keep mine in the dock over night with no ill effects.
    10-09-09 06:55 AM
    Sorry to hijack
    So I don't have to wait til the battery is almost dead to charge it? I was always told to run it down to about nothing before I charge it and make sure it charges completly.
    10-09-09 09:33 AM
    No keep it charged up if you can, the battery does not have a memory like the old ones used to have...
    10-09-09 10:18 AM
    Sorry to hijack
    So I don't have to wait til the battery is almost dead to charge it? I was always told to run it down to about nothing before I charge it and make sure it charges completly.
    It's actually bad for Li-ION batteries to be drained completely before recharging. It actually affects the chemistry within the battery causing it to not hold a charge as long. The old Ni-CAD batteries needed to be completely drained before recharging due to a memory effect. Ni-MH batteries also do not suffer from "memory".
    10-09-09 10:25 AM
    I have had 2 batteries die in my bb after I let them drain to nothing... Very bad on them imho... Keep it charged.

10-09-09 12:35 PM
    I have had 2 batteries die in my bb after I let them drain to nothing... Very bad on them imho... Keep it charged.

That's correct. Discharging a Li-Ion battery completely will significantly shorten its life. Recharge them often and before they get low. That's the opposite of older battery technologies, which occasionally needed to be fully discharged to eliminate the memory effect.
    10-09-09 12:48 PM
    thanks all!!!
    10-09-09 01:38 PM
    Good info to know
    12-09-09 08:05 AM
    Correct you can leave a Li-Ion battery on the charger and when its done charging it will stop accepting a chare. Li-Ion batteries DO NOT hold any memory therefore it CANNOT damage the device if leaving it on the charger overnight. And like what was stated above.....you dont want to let your battery die all the time as it weakens the life expectency of the battery. I usually let my battery drain to a quarter at the lowest and then give it a full charge.
    12-09-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD