Hello. I installed google maps like a week or two ago. Today i was doing some research and came across that goggle has discontinued the one touch dialing where you search the map and call out directly.. How true is this? I need to know if i will be charged to call out directly. And how would google know to charge??? Is it possible that they can see the calls that's being made? I love this app and i really dont wanna lose it. I also do not wanna have any surprises on my next bill not that i make calls frm g maps on the regular!
    04-22-09 08:17 AM
    Google has discontinued its Click-to-Call feature for Google Maps which the company says was a long running experiment.
    This feature was a long-running experiment, and in the end it was decided to discontinue it.
    There are however lots of other features we’re adding to maps in the hope of making it even more useful. And if you are in the United States and liked click-to-call, check out a different experiment we’re doing:
    1-800-GOOG-411
    Some users in the Google Groups thread seem highly disappointed that Google Click-to-Call was discontinued and note that Microsoft and Yahoo still offer these features.
    Personally, I’m a big fan of Yahoo OneSearch’s quick call feature for mobile phones. Although it does not use a central operator like Google, the quick local search to call functionality is a favorite and I find myself using it almost daily.
    04-22-09 09:23 AM
    Does google maps have turn by turn voice navigation?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 09:35 AM
    Does google maps have turn by turn voice navigation?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Google Maps still doesn’t support automated navigation with turn-by-turn voice instructions. While passive navigation mode with the indication of the current position along the calculated route and the display of a written instruction for the next turn is very well implemented, it does not cater for safe in-car navigation as both moving the map and displaying the next instruction involve pressing buttons on the phone. At a minimum, the next turn instruction and the displayed map view should be aligned with and follow the current position.

Interestingly, the reasons for the lack of automated navigation have been the subject of much debate and speculation. Several explanations have been advanced. Some believe the higher digital map licensing fees required for turn-by-turn navigation cannot (yet) be off-set by advertising revenues – whereas the lower fees for manual navigation can. Others mention the high degree of technical complexity involved in the design of fully automated navigation software. The positioning of Google Maps for pedestrian navigation – where manual navigation is much less of an issue - has also been alluded too.

While the above explanations make sense, they all suggest that Google Maps will support fully automated navigation at some point in the future. However, this might not be the case as the real reasons for the positioning of Google Maps can be traced back to Google’s overall strategy and business model. Google’s search and advertising business model is aimed at working together with as many ICT players as possible, avoiding getting involved in hardware or software development and looking for maximum advertising leverage from enriching navigation solutions with search functionality. With this in mind it becomes easy to understand why Google wants to work with the LBS and navigation industry, not compete against it. Being the future search partner of as many navigation and LBS players such as carriers, PND vendors, OEMs and handset manufacturers as possible seems to be more important than trying to take a piece of a navigation market which is subject to increasing commoditization and price erosion.
    04-22-09 09:44 AM
    Does anyone know if there is an updated version of BB maps?
    04-22-09 09:51 AM
    I have version 3.0.2.

Also, I guess this is different from Click-to-Call - as it seems to have been discontinued years ago, but when I am searching Gmaps, say for Walmart, for example, and I click on the nearest one, the first option is "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx." Is this very different from what you guys are talking about?
    04-22-09 09:57 AM
    I have version 3.0.2.

Also, I guess this is different from Click-to-Call - as it seems to have been discontinued years ago, but when I am searching Gmaps, say for Walmart, for example, and I click on the nearest one, the first option is "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx." Is this very different from what you guys are talking about?
    I'm also curious about this. I am running 2.3.2 and I like having the phone number show up that I can call.

EDIT: OK, I believe that I found that "click-to-call" was discontinued in 2007 and it was an online offering separate from its mobile maps.
    Last edited by illwood; 04-22-09 at 11:36 AM.
    04-22-09 11:34 AM
    I have version 3.0.2.

This is the exact one.
    04-22-09 12:41 PM
    I couldnt make calls directly from g maps. I thought it stopped because it was dicontinued. I just had to go under applications modules and change g maps setting to default. :-D... So if it's discontinued, it still works!!! I shouldnt get charged for this right??
    04-22-09 12:45 PM
    I couldnt make calls directly from g maps. I thought it stopped because it was dicontinued. I just had to go under applications modules and change g maps setting to default. :-D... So if it's discontinued, it still works!!! I shouldnt get charged for this right??
    This feature is entirely different from Click-to-Call, I found out. Click-to-Call would basically have google have the business call you or something to that effect. You would enter your phone number and then your phone would ring with the business on the line. So, no you shouldn't get charged for anything like that. As far as I know, Google never charges for anything.
    04-22-09 12:57 PM
    This feature is entirely different from Click-to-Call, I found out. Click-to-Call would basically have google have the business call you or something to that effect. You would enter your phone number and then your phone would ring with the business on the line. So, no you shouldn't get charged for anything like that. As far as I know, Google never charges for anything.
    Oooh this makes a lot of sense now Thanx for tha info!!!
    04-22-09 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD