I put my AT&T 8310 in an aftermarket hard shell case, trying to protect the keyboard. When I pulled it out some of the keys weren't working. Gradually some are coming back, but the delete/backspace key doesn't work (sometimes it kicks in and does a Pac Man) and the Alt Back combination to bring up switch applications isn't working even though both keys work independently. What have I done and how can I fix it?
    08-22-10 09:39 AM
    Have you rebooted by removing the battery while the device is on? I don't know why your device is behaving as it is, but a battery pull will fix it if it's a transient problem. It seems unlikely a hard case could cause a problem. If it depressed a key continuously, that might overflow an input buffer. Maybe. But I'm just guessing.
    08-22-10 09:42 AM
    Yeah, I've rebooted numerous times. I've used the same cases before without a problem. I was using a broken one that allowed a looser fit, then bought a new one. I was putting it in face down. When I first removed from the new one a bunch of keys weren't working. It was acting the same as when I put a little too much alcohol on the roller ball and kicking out multiple letters. I removed the battery and most of it went away. Now just the delete key and the Alt/Return combination won't work. I use these two a bunch. When it first happened, any key pushed would go to the phone number entry mode.
    Have I crushed something behind the keyboard or could this be a result of dirt behind the keyboard that finally caught up to me?
    08-22-10 10:37 AM
    ...Have I crushed something behind the keyboard or could this be a result of dirt behind the keyboard that finally caught up to me?
    That's possible, especially if you've had the device for long time. It may be time to consider a new one.
    08-22-10 11:08 AM
    Know you can clean trackball externally with IPA and have used paint thinner successfully as suggested from another source. Can the same be done with the keyboard, pulling the battery then using a qtip and IPA wiping around the whole keyboard?
    As far as getting a new Blackberry, to tell the truth I'm not satisfied with RIM in general and their "you have to buy this new model that has software that works" attitude. The internet application on this 8310 is horrible and there have been no upgrades so I use Bolt Browser. Since these things cost as much as a laptop and the $30/month access charge is similar to a wireless laptop fee, if this thing craps out I'll either get a laptop and go back to my old Motorola or get an Ipad. RIM's lack of support for older models is rude and I'm not signing another contract with a $95/month bill.
    08-22-10 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD