*UPDATE BELOW*

Hi all,

I had my phone in my pocket all day today, and I did some sweating (played some games with my work.. fun day) and when I went to look at my phone it was off. Then it wouldn't turn on right - I had to pull the battery, and when it got to "Verifying Security" and showed a %, the screen would just shut off. I took it to Verizon, they looked at it and couldn't offer me anything other than "call customer service for a replacement."

Then I came home and kind of mashed the keys and it turns out the screen was just going dead at startup. The phone WAS on, but the keyboard was unresponsive. Then - get this - it started responding just fine. Then, a few minutes later, only the trackball would work. Then nothing works... then everything works fine, then nothing works... etc. etc. It just works and then doesn't work... and then works.

What gives? Could it have been moisture from me sweating? Could it be a stuck key? (I've popped out the trackball and cleaned it and all that). Is this a software issue?

HELP!!
    Last edited by moomoomoo; 07-12-08 at 01:25 PM.
    07-11-08 10:03 PM
    It very well could be from you sweating. It's not unheard of.
    07-11-08 10:13 PM
    Hmm. Sounds like the phone is suffering from water - errr - moisture damage.

Check your water damage indicator to be sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 10:16 PM
    Wouldn't the Verizon people see the indicator and say something? The only one I see, on the battery, is pink. The battery works fine. When the phone is on, and the screen is off (like I haven't used it in a while) and I plug in the USB cable from my computer to the phone, the screen lights right up.

I had a protective case on the phone as well.

If this is from sweat then this is ridiculous.
    07-11-08 10:19 PM
    The entire sticker is pink?
    07-11-08 10:25 PM
    The sticker is a light pink and the X's are a darker pink.
    07-11-08 10:26 PM
    I just did some reading, and it looks like, at least for Sprint Curves, the little sticker with "XXX" on it on the battery is NOT a water/moisture indicator. Where is the water indicator on the Verizon curve?
    07-11-08 10:33 PM
    OK, did more reading... found the sticker on the phone (not on the battery), and it's pure white - no water damage at all.

What the heck?
    07-11-08 10:34 PM
    Well, the keyboard works on and off... much more off though. I put the phone into some instant rice to sit overnight. If it doesn't help, I'll have to raise **** at a Verizon store tomorrow as this is ridiculous.
    07-11-08 10:55 PM
    Word of advice: don't raise **** with verizon. They are generally awesome, very willing to help. Especially with defective devices. If you come at them with a bad attitude, they won't help you. Trust me.

07-11-08 11:01 PM
    Word of advice: don't raise **** with verizon. They are generally awesome, very willing to help. Especially with defective devices. If you come at them with a bad attitude, they won't help you. Trust me.

Well, I meant it as "take it up with Verizon." I actually wrote a very positive Yelp.com review of a local Verizon store - the one I am going to.
    07-11-08 11:09 PM
    By the way, what are the chances Verizon can replace the phone on the spot, in the store?
    07-11-08 11:10 PM
    UPDATE:

I put the phone and battery into some rice overnight, and it looks like it did the trick. Still, for some reason when I do a battery pull, the phone still goes dim at the "Verifying Security... 23%" screen, but it comes back to life if I tap any key or the trackball, which wasn't the case before. I guess this is as good as it's going to get...
    07-12-08 01:24 PM
    Put it back in the rice tonight; can't hurt, & might help!

07-12-08 01:47 PM
    By the way, what are the chances Verizon can replace the phone on the spot, in the store?
    99.9% likely they will do an on-the-spot replacement. Especially if you request a manager. I have had to do this several times... With other phones, of course, not my Blackberries.
    07-12-08 01:49 PM
    I'm a newbie and I also had my blackberry 3810 in my pocket. When I turned it on it says "Enter PIN code (3 left)", but my keyboard doesn't seem to work. Won't let me type anything. Thoughts?
    07-12-08 04:49 PM
    similar problem - keyboard died, then came back partially with trackball-only, then eventually all came back except for the P key, and enter key....
    02-18-09 08:59 PM
    similar problem - keyboard died, then came back partially with trackball-only, then eventually all came back except for the P key, and enter key....
    02-18-09 08:59 PM
    Try pressing
    ALT, RIGHT SHIFT and DEL at the same time and hold till powers off.
    Did it a couple times and pulled the battery and all OK
    08-29-09 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD