I have the Sprint 8330 Curve. I want to lock it with a password but only when it will be left unattended. I enabled a password but it automatically locks after a cetain period of time which is annoying. I just want it to lock when go to "Lock Keyboard". Anybody know if this is possible?
    08-08-08 05:44 AM
    I don't think you can do that but I don't really know.Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 06:09 AM
    Welcome to CB. Go back to option>password and under security timeout set it to one hour which is maximum allowed. Hope this solves your problem.
    08-08-08 06:11 AM
    No, not possible.

Setting the timeout to 60 minutes is the only thing you can do, and if you what to leave it unattended before that time expires, set it maunually.

You will iust have to get into the habit of pressing one of the keys when the expiration time is getting close if you do not want it to lock automatically in your presence.
    08-08-08 06:18 AM
    Like Mobiman suggested, set the timeout to the highest possible and then turn on the "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering" and keep it in the holster when unattended. Not exactly convienent all the time, but it will provide you with some measure of security. Also try a third party software called Auto Lock. It is available via OTA download. Here is a link:

geek and proud - BlackBerry Software

Hope this helps!
    08-08-08 06:30 AM
    Thanks everybody for the responses. Oh well. I guess it's not a big deal b/c whenever I am carrying it around I check for messages and stuff pretty often so it shouldn't time out too much.
    08-08-08 07:28 AM
    If you use your BlackBerry in GPS mode, is it also switching automatically to protected mode after N minutes?
    The BBs in our company are set to 30 minutes max unattended mode by Corporate policy and people complain that they lock up also when in GPS mode. So every half hour they have to unlock the device. Is this correct?

What happens if they have someone on the phone for more than 30 minutes? Is the call interrupted?

G.

(I don't have a BB myself but I'll get the model number from my boss' one and download the manual on Monday)
    10-25-08 08:14 AM
    This al depends how IT sets the policy. I would think the phone would not lock up if you are on a call. if the deivce is idol for the 30 minutes, per the IT policy the device will lock. No way around an IT policy.
    10-25-08 08:21 AM
    Keyboard lock and password lock cannot exist together.

If you read the help file on your bb, you will realise that you can only have either one choice. Meaning to say, if you disable password lock, keyboard lock is active. But if you enable password lock, the keyboard lock option disappears and the maximum timeout for the pw lock is 1 hour.

Guess it's just a security feature having password lock enabled, for those times when someone loses his phone. The added protection is you can customise how many times you may enter a wrong password. Once that limit is up, the phone AUTO erases itself.
    10-25-08 10:14 AM
    (Just got the 8310 manual, that will keep the printer busy for a while ...)

Our Security people are trying to align the SmartPhone policy on that of the PC policy. Initial setting was to lock itself up after being 15 minutes unattended but after tons of complaints, Security granted an exception to this and allow 30 minutes now.

Personally, I believe the background message we have to send to our people is to use the BB for mail & phone only, and use something else for the other functionality (like a real GPS if you need a GPS). I presume the RIM people wont like this statement but they should come up with a beter security solution, like allowing to enforce a password when leaving GPS mode. I'm using GPS as an example here but this is of course valid for other applications as well were an auto-lock is not desireable.

G.
    10-27-08 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD