I know that there are similar threads out there, but I gave up looking through nearly all of them at this point.

My keys for the most part do not work and are unresponsive, same with the 'select' in the trackball. Right now it has begun to sporadically work, but it generally pushes keys it wants (d and e, it seems).

This has never been exposed to moisture.
    It has never been dropped.

I have taken the face off and cleaned the keyboard with isoproyl alcohol very gently, but to little avail.

I considered re-installing the OS, which is the only other solution I saw posted, but I have a flashed phone, and from what I understand this would destroy the flashed OS and I would have to have it re-done.

Any help? It would be greatly appreciated. This phone isn't even a week old yet!
    04-28-10 12:45 AM
    Strangely enough, that is exactly why I am on the forum! My phone was working just fine one minute and now none of the buttons work! The trackball will scroll, but when I push it, it doesnt respond either. None of the side buttons work either.

I havent dropped it, nor has it gotten wet. I did a battery pull, but that didnt work either. I was able to back it up and sync it so that was a good thing. It still rings and I can receive text messages, but cant read them

Mine is AT&T branded on AT&T network but it is a little old......(3 yrs) but it has been perfectly fine till right now.

I sure hope someone has a solution!
    Last edited by moodyk13; 04-28-10 at 04:57 PM.
    04-28-10 04:54 PM
    Have you tried opening it up and cleaning it? It sort of eventually helped with my buttons.
    04-28-10 07:49 PM
    no I havent tried that. Since it is all the buttons and trackball I figured it has to be something internal? The trackball scrolls, but cant select.
    04-28-10 07:52 PM
    I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! only the enter key works on my BB 8300. I have never dropped it or exposed it to water, I just live in really humid conditions.

I dont know what to do, and I no longer have a warrantee with my carrier.
    04-29-10 07:51 AM
    I posted this same thread on Pinstack and here was a response that I am trying:

"it's possible that you have moisture build up in your phone if that is the case you could TRY putting it in a ziplock bag full of rice. This will dry out your phone. If if was water causing the incorrect contact that might solve the problem. If not then you might be screwed and fyi just because it didn't feel wet does NOT mean that it was not. Sometimes leaving a bb in a warm damp plcae can cause water vapor to form on the circuits. Hope this helps. "

I had washed my dogs yesterday and my phone was on a shelf behind me. I have done this many times before. It was not exposed to water, but there was moisture in the air from the steam. I can only guess that it got moisture build up. Anyway, removed the face plate and left the sides open, put it in a ziploc back last night w/some rice. I pray when I get home tonight and put it all back together that it will work.....................
    04-29-10 10:32 AM
    My dilema is that I cannot get another smart phone unless I purchase the data plan. YES I know that most people get a smart phone for that purpose, but I didnt. I need a smart phone for all the other features it has to run my business, I dont need internet access b/c I am always with my laptop. I rely on Calendar, calendar reminders, address book, Tasks, Memo Pad, Password Keeper, Docs to Go, 2 dictionaries, thesaurus, bible, etc that you just cant have on a regular phone.

I was able to get AT&T to "grandfather" me in but they said if I ever replaced one of the 4 smart phones on my account, that they would automatically add the data plan. I already pay $230 for these phones, I cant afford another $30 especially for something I would NEVER use.
    04-29-10 10:46 AM
    Good news for me... My BB is working!

I am not sure what/which did the trick but here is what I did:

I took the battery, sim, and mem card out. Removed faceplate and keypad (buttons) and left the side trims sticking out. I put about 1/3 cup of rice in a ziploc bag and placed my phone in the bag with it (beside the rice, keeping the rice from getting in the phone) and sealed it up. I left it that way about 24 hours. Took the phone out and "blasted" the keyboard with compressed air (like what you use to clean a computer keyboard). I also sprayed into the sides to rid any rice "dust". Anyway, re-assembled everything and it works.

Keeping fingers crossed that it doesnt do it again.
    Last edited by moodyk13; 04-29-10 at 09:24 PM. Reason: correct terminology
    04-29-10 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD