I was given a BB Curve 8310 to attempt a repair. When I attach the USB cable to the BB the system tray does not pop up with a notification that says "found new hardware" like it normally does when you plug a BB in. When the phone boots up it displays error msg " JVM Error 513". I attempted to looking into the device by using "cracmem" and "JL_Cmder" and no data is to be found and thus there is nothing to wipe.

I suspect that the device has already been wiped thus the no data. I have pulled the battery from the phone and reinstalled; unplugged the usb cable during the BB boot process and nothing is happening. The DM application loader will not allow me to procede due to computer not recognizing the BB device thus it is not generating the "USB:UNKNOWN".

Any suggeston on how to get the computer to recognize the USB connection to the BB? I believe that if I can get past this problem then I can get the Application Manager in DM to work.

Thanks
    05-04-10 09:58 PM
    Just carry on with the DM option even though it's reading it as an unknown USB. Once you get the OS loaded, all will be well again. I just revived my 8330 a few nights back under the same circumstances. Noticed you said it's not proceeding tho. If the continue button isn't available, try hooking up the phone without the battery installed. Then when you get to that point, install the battery and see if the button is available to continue with the process. That, or a battery pull and reinstall at that moment usually does the trick.
    05-04-10 11:59 PM
    That is the problem, I cannot get the device/DM to generate the "USB:UNKNOWN".
    05-05-10 07:47 AM
    Restart computer. Open DM, plug in BB. It'll probably fail. With DM still open and BB still plugged in, remove battery. DM should read the USB port itself (as unknown USB) since the phone is no longer there to read. As soon as it reads as unknown, reinstall battery quickly and continue. Did that work?
    05-05-10 08:09 AM
    If not, open device manager and then USB Controllers. In each instance of USB Root Hub, right click, properties, Power Management tab, click box for "allow computer to turn off this device to save power". Then retry the steps in the above post.
    05-05-10 08:20 AM
    Also, what version of DM are you running?
    05-05-10 08:21 AM
    I tried this "Restart computer. Open DM, plug in BB.' Last night and it didn't work.

I am running the most current version of DM; I'll try "open device manager and then USB Controllers" tonight to see if that will work.

I know that the USB connection to the device is good, when I plug in the USB cable the LCD in the top right corner flashes 4 times then I get the battery icon with the slash through telling me to install the battery.
    05-05-10 10:07 AM
    Save yourself the effort. JVM 513 means there was an IT policy in place when the password security was violated.

View Document 0 475429276

The only way it can be recoved is with the correct password. Clearly the thief that "gave you" the device did not know the password.
    05-05-10 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD