Sorry, this is kind of long but please bear with me.

Like the title says, I just traded my storm for this 8330. I am new to the BB thing, having moved up from a vx8300 flip phone. I like all the features the BB has, but the storm was just too much. The touch screen phone was more of a PITA to use than it was worth, battery life sucked, and the OS was full of bugs. It left me stranded where it wouldn't make a call because of an error 3 times. I need a phone that is reliable and this curve seems to be working out better. Not taking anything away from the storm, I just think it wasn't really suited for me.

I have a couple of questions about this new curve. I noticed that the browser is a lot different. I think it may be because it isn't full html like the storm was. It said something about java on a page I went to and then when I tried to enable it told me that my device wansn't capable or something. If it isn't, that's ok, I just want to know what this phone's limitations are.

I notice that when I load pages, I have to scroll down through like a mile of links and stuff before I actually get to what I requested. Is this normal? What can I do to speed this process up if I have to scroll through every time?

I also would like to know if it is possible for me to get a live weather loop on here. I have been able to get a pic of a radar, but nothing that actually moves. Is this related to the html issue above that I asked about?

And finally, is it possible for me to get the little weather bug icon that has the current temp on this phone like I had on my storm?

Thank you for reading, thanks for your responses.
    12-10-08 07:37 AM
    Did you upgrade to 4.5 Verizon's .77 or u can use .89 from Alltel this will give u HTML email and DocsToGo theirs a stickie at the top of the forum
    12-10-08 07:49 AM
    I'm a newb to BB but I'll answer what I can and help someone else comes along with the answers for the rest for you.

First, for weather, I'm using accuweather.com. They have a WAP app that puts a icon on your BB and if you hovor over it, it gives the temps and an forecast icon (cloud, sunny, rain, etc) which is a nice at a glance basic info I need most of the time. If you actually click the icon, it takes you to a 5 dat forecast for your city (that you selected by zipcode previously). It has icons on that main page for Current, Hourly, Alerts, 10 day forecast and radar. the radar has a static display or animated over the last few hours.

Weather bug is available but I have have not researched if it is free as I really liked accuweather once I stumbled across it. Also, your local news channels often have a mobile app for both news and weather and many of them have great radar. You know how those guys love their color triple dopplers, lol.

As far as the webpages that have a ton of links to scroll through, what I have found is that those mostly are webpages that are not optimized for handhelds. If you look closely at a page your familar with on a PC, most of those links are pointing to the links a lot of pages have at the top of their banner. I've found that a lot of websites have "mobile apps" or mobile optimized pages and have tried to use those to minimize what you are speaking of. I just did a google on my favorite sites (i.e. "Mobile ESPN", Mobile FOXNEWS, etc) and if there was either an app or special site, it usually popped up as the first link or two.

Gonna leave the java/html question for someone more in the know but I think I read something about the 4.5 and above OS support HTML. Might be for HTML email or may have something to do with your question. Someone educates us on that one please.
    12-10-08 08:09 AM
    That will give you html email, not full html browser like the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 08:11 AM
    I use Opera 4.2 Minibrowser for surfing and I like it alot better than the BB browser. It will load full web pages and then there is a zoom area that you can move around and press the trackball to see that part of the page in a readable size. Clicking the trackball zooms back out.

Hope that helps!
    12-10-08 08:16 AM
    Good to hear that you switched phones. I hear rumors about people having issues about their phone of the Storm users. I figured much to have it be waited on before you get it so they can work out the little bugs in it.

Yes when you load up a page you do have to scroll down, not really good design when you want to surf the net.
    12-10-08 08:51 AM
    I have found using the space key to scroll down to what you are looking for works better than using the track ball. Hope that helps.
    12-10-08 09:00 AM
    I have found using the space key to scroll down to what you are looking for works better than using the track ball. Hope that helps.
    That does work a whole lot better. Thanks!
    12-10-08 09:10 AM
    I also switched from the storm to a curve, previously had a pearl. The storm was cumbersome to me and bow I love the curve.

12-10-08 10:38 AM
    I also switched as well. I did have a Pearl before the Storm....

Anyway, about web browsing....Hit the B button to go to the bottom of the page and the T to go to the Top....

I am still learning shortcuts, but I use that the most!
    12-10-08 11:34 AM
    B to go to the bottom of a web page
    T to go to the top

SPACE to scroll down a page at a time
    Left SHIFT key to scroll up a page at a time

you have come to the right place to ask questions I still learn new shortcuts. you will pick up many tips and tricks within the forum posts.

also try Operamini. I am using 4.2

my OS is 4.5.0.97

Accuweather app for mine too
    12-10-08 12:07 PM
    http://blackberry.weatherbug.com/rel...ugDirect45.jad
    WeatherBug Direct latest version will work on an 8330.

http://www.berryreview.com/
    From this site click on OTA at the top of the page and there is a lot of OTA links for free and pay Apps and links to mobile websites.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/
    This is also a good thread with OTA links and mobile website links.

JerryD's Mini Version Tracker - PinStack.com Forums
    A lot of OTA links and mobile websites here too.

12-10-08 12:23 PM
    I hear people are switching due to the fact the storm os was not ready. Don't you just hate when they release something that is not ready yet?
    12-10-08 02:57 PM
    Had the STORM for a week...had a pearl before, now on a pink curve. Glad to have my trackball back and yes the STORM was a two-handed device and not functional, but it was really pretty.
    12-10-08 04:06 PM
    I also agree... The storm was "cool" but that's about it. The typing/navigation was just too difficult for me. Not that it was all that hard, but by comparison to 8830/8330/etc... I am happy to be back on a keyboard/ball. I gave the storm 2 weeks, but couldn't deal with it any more. Now, I am waiting for the new ver of the curve/bold to come to vzw... :-p
    12-10-08 06:47 PM
    What is the link to get the accuweather icon???
    12-10-08 09:15 PM
    OP - you're crazy!!!
    12-10-08 09:41 PM
    I must be crazy because I'm going from a curve to a storm

12-10-08 09:46 PM
    B to go to the bottom of a web page
    T to go to the top

SPACE to scroll down a page at a time
    Left SHIFT key to scroll up a page at a time

you have come to the right place to ask questions I still learn new shortcuts. you will pick up many tips and tricks within the forum posts.

also try Operamini. I am using 4.2

my OS is 4.5.0.97

Accuweather app for mine too

Where did you get the O.S. 4.5.0.97 from? It says you are with verizon so did you get it from the verizon website or are you using another carriers O.S.? If so can you please send me the link?
    12-10-08 09:57 PM
    3 out 4 curve owners prefer the curve over the storm, because it is faster and easier to navigate with the trackball. In comparison, there are 3 things about the storm that are very good. There's a laundry list of things that are better on the curve. I'm sure the storm is a decent device (it's a BB), but the widespread preference is for the curve over the storm. Perhaps in the future this won't be true. I would love to have a BB touch screen that is as capable as my curve. My .02
    12-10-08 11:30 PM
    Try skweezer.com to view non mobile websites it'll remove a lot of junk and format pages for your screen

12-11-08 03:49 AM
    For weather, I like Weather Underground. You can get animated radar from the site.

http://m.wund.com/
    12-11-08 10:27 AM
    I just did the same thing (switched from storm to curve). Love this thing. Gotta have my keyboard back! I simply could not stand how often the storm crashed on me (4-5 times a day). Loving the new Curve!!
    12-11-08 10:31 AM
    I just switched back for good from a storm. I gave it a valiant effort. I really liked a lot of things about the storm but the curve is just faster(to use) more reliable, and much better battery life. For me the storm will be a future device but right now it wasn't a good fit. Love my curve. I would be stoked if verizon got the bold or the curve 8900.

12-11-08 12:03 PM
    I just switched as well. Had two storms. Both with bad click screens. The curve while lacking in screen resolution and OS4.7, still MUCH faster and more stable.

12-11-08 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD