Hey guys,

I got my new black housing in the mail today and installed it with no real problems other than having to disassemble again because I didn't take the plastic off the inside of the screen.

Problem #1 - The housing doesn't fit quit like it should above the trackball. When I scroll up, I can feel that the bottom of the screen is pushed out a bit and my thumb scrapes on the edge, which it didn't do with the original housing.

Problem #2 - The new trackball doesn't work. When I put it in it will scroll random ways, but I don't have much control over it.. it's strange. I had to go back to the white ball.

Any idea how to fix either of these problems? I'm mostly concerned with #1.
    04-02-09 01:19 AM
    Both of your problems could be caused by...

The faceplate may not be completely snapped into the midplate, especially in the central area near the bottom of the screen/tracball area.

Other ppl have also had problems with their trackballs because the magnetic rollers were installed incorrectly in the TB assembly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 01:23 AM
    This dude had the same problem with his trackball. http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/add...ousing-194940/

And I bet when I get mine next week I'll have that problem too cuz I ordered from the same guy lol
    04-02-09 01:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's snapped in as far as it's gonna go.... I can't seem to push it in any farther... It just isn't fitting as tightly as it should.

I wonder if I might have warped the plate while prying it off.

I'm now wishing I hadn't tried this :/
    04-02-09 01:30 AM
    I feel like crying.
    04-02-09 01:56 AM
    lol take it apart and try again homie

watch some youtube videos on re-assembling
    04-02-09 02:15 AM
    I have.... Maybe I'll try reassembling again tomorrow with the OG housing to see what its like.

I'm thinking the Zagg shield I installed today might be contributing to the feeling of resistance.
    04-02-09 02:20 AM
    The housing takes a while to jiggle into place, be very careful and don't force anything though.

I recently installed an 8330 black housing purchased from gsm4world on ebay on my 8320 curve. Everything fit very snugly and functions flawlessly. I've also included some mods in it, including the dust filter in the microphone which is not included with the housing.

I had the same problem with the trackball, it seems that when you roll left, it goes right, when you roll right, it goes left, when you roll down it goes up, but it doesn't move down at all even if you roll upwards. This is because all the rollers were installed in reverse. This is a simple fix, just open up the trackball assembly (the metal ring) and turn the rollers around, making them face the opposite direction. You'll realize then that everything will work fine again. Please note though, the trackball from gsm4world at least, i'm not sure with other sellers, had very low quality rollers. This resulted in a very unresponsive movement. The fix for this would be to use your OEM white trackball's rollers in the new trackball's assembly. The rollers from gsm4world were actually maybe half a millimeter difference in size (smaller), which made a huge difference in the overall response of the trackball and movement on screen.

Just a note: Be very very careful when you open up the trackball assembly not to apply too much force on the metal ring, this may result in the bending of the ring which may lead to further complications. Just lightly pop off the metal ring and that should do the job. Also, take note of the specific assembly of the ring making sure how and where every part is lined up.

Finally, good luck on your repairs! I'll post up a full tutorial explaining every step that I took to build up my custom curve. My camera was taken away with all the pictures for the tutorial in it because it's exam time. Keep your heads up for the tutorial thread.

Hope this helps.
    04-02-09 02:28 AM
    I've got same housing, and I had to do exactly what vtsang did in regards to the trackball. I had to use my old magnet rollers and flip their orientation. Not a big deal, a little annoying, and I'm really glad I still had the OEM rollers to use.

In regards to your housing, here are a couple things to consider...When you installed the lens, what did you use for adhesive. Mine came with adhesive tape on the case already and also came with two pieces of 3m double-sided tape laser cut to fit my berry. IF this is the case for you, peel off the pre-loaded tape. It's crap. Use the 3M stuff. clean the insid of your lens and the housing (where it meets the lens) with rubbing alcohol. This will clean off any finger oil, dirt, or other residue that might interfere with the stick of the tape. I even lightly sanded around the inside of the case for even better adhesion.

If your lens does not stay stuck down, it will peel up and it will stick up from your berry and will allow dust into the housing. This was probably the trickiest part, honestly.

I just put my factory housing back on my berry to compare,and yes the new black housing sticks up a little bit above the ball, and I can press it in and out. Not so with the old housing. My best guess is, the new lens that came with my housing is more convex-shaped, where the factory one is flatter. Its an acceptable difference for me, because it is not that noticeable.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps!
    04-02-09 03:04 AM
    Some ppl have said the lens sticks up or bulges out due to the foam gasket being thicker than the one on the OEM housing.

04-02-09 03:12 AM
    Some ppl have said the lens sticks up or bulges out due to the foam gasket being thicker than the one on the OEM housing.

Yeah i've heard about that, interestingly I haven't come across this problem. I have the foam gasket as well. Everything fits very will with my assembly. I did have to remove the rubber piece in the microphone but thats about it.
    04-02-09 05:34 AM
    thanks for the all this input, my black housing from gsm4world will be here next week so i'm sure this info will come in handy
    04-03-09 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD