Yes I have read most of the "nuked berry" threads on CB and none of them helped because the bb only shows a black screen and my DM does not recognize the bb at all. And I have tried numerous battery pulls with no results. Only sign of life on the bb is a red flashing led light.

I have the 4.2 os and DM 4.5. Before the bb died, I had about 26 bytes free.

So I received a replacement curve today because my old one is acting up. I put in my battery and sim card and deleted sample video through the DM. The DM had no problem recognizing the bb and the bb was charging. 10 min later, the bb is dead with a black screen, no response after I pushed all the keys, there is no charging happening, a message on the pc pops up saying there is something wrong with the port or connected device, and the DM no longer recognizes the bb. I have no idea what happened because I was elsewhere during the 10 min.

I also do not get any response from the bb when I tried to charge through the outlet.

I removed the battery and sim card, place them back into my old bb and the DM recognized the bb. I am also able to charge through the same usb on the pc. I waited 45 minutes to see if there would be any issues and all is still working fine.

Whew! So basically my question is: Are there any other alternatives to fix this dead bb or do I have to return it for another one?

I would love to keep my old bb but there is an error issue that randomly resets my bb so I need a replacement.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!
    07-07-08 09:05 PM
    Hmmm. Odd. Sounds like maybe your dm is the common denominator here. Could this be messing up your devices somehow? Do you have an older version of your dm to experiment with?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 09:10 PM
    I would package it up and send that one back too.
    Not working out of the box is not something YOU
    should have to worry about fixing.
    07-07-08 09:10 PM
    Hmmm. Odd. Sounds like maybe your dm is the common denominator here. Could this be messing up your devices somehow? Do you have an older version of your dm to experiment with?

Well my error message on the old bb started while I had the old DM. So I reinstalled the os. The error kept occuring so I upgraded the DM and reinstalled os again. No change
    07-07-08 09:12 PM
    I would return it for another one. The one you got is probably a refurb, which means there's always the possibilty that something could go wrong.

07-07-08 09:13 PM
    I would package it up and send that one back too.
    Not working out of the box is not something YOU
    should have to worry about fixing.
    Sigh...yea....thats what I'm thinking but then I'm just gonna get another refurbished Is there a limit to how many refurbished bb's you can try out lol ?
    07-07-08 09:14 PM
    Hmm. So its not your dm. I can't imagine two bbs in a row having the same issue. Seems to me there must be something happening when you hook it up to your pc..

07-07-08 09:14 PM
    I know it is a long shot but since I have a degree in electronics I will throw this out there.

Another possibility is an improper voltage/current coming from your computer's USB port. If your computer is somehow malfunctioning and/or shorting out the USB port you could get some problems or even cook your BB. Your "Port error" message could possibly be pointing to a problem with your computer and not necessarily your BB. I only mention because your computer is also a common denominator. Possibly try using a different computer or at least a different USB port on the one you have.

Just my nickles worth.

(didn't have any pennies)
    07-07-08 09:15 PM
    Hmm. So its not your dm. I can't imagine two bbs in a row having the same issue. Seems to me there must be something happening when you hook it up to your pc..

I was thinking the same since both issue are identical and the common denominator is the PC.
    07-07-08 09:16 PM

No no, sorry, it's two different issues. My old bb gets an error message and resets. The phone still works and some of my info is still there. I think its cuz I tried the os beta and I paid the price.

For the replacement bb, I think I just got a crappy device.
    07-07-08 09:18 PM
    I know it is a long shot but since I have a degree in electronics I will throw this out there.

Another possibility is an improper voltage/current coming from your computer's USB port. If your computer is somehow malfunctioning and/or shorting out the USB port you could get some problems or even cook your BB. Your "Port error" message could possibly be pointing to a problem with your computer and not necessarily your BB. I only mention because your computer is also a common denominator. Possibly try using a different computer or at least a different USB port on the one you have.

Just my nickles worth.

Good call. The op should definitely test through another pc.

07-07-08 09:19 PM

Just my nickles worth.

Tried my mom's laptop same results. I can wait til wed to try my pc at work but thats a long time to wait lol.
    07-07-08 09:20 PM
    Hmmmmmmm!! Faulty usb chord??

07-07-08 09:21 PM
    Just tried using the same usb cord on my mom's laptop with my old bb and everything works fine.

Also tried charging old bb though the outlet and that works fine too. The outlet does not work for the new bb.
    07-07-08 09:28 PM
    Hmmmmmmm!! Faulty usb chord??

Here I was thinking of something complicated and someone else smacks me upside the head with a perfectly reasonable and simple reason for the problem....

I bow to your common sense
    07-07-08 09:30 PM
    Just tried using the same usb cord on my mom's laptop with my old bb and everything works fine.

Also tried charging old bb though the outlet and that works fine too. The outlet does not work for the new bb.
    That definitely sounds like you just got boned with a faulty Blackberry.

Well, on the upside.........you won't need to buy a new laptop!
    07-07-08 09:31 PM
    Here I was thinking of something complicated and someone else smacks me upside the head with a perfectly reasonable and simple reason for the problem....

I bow to your common sense
    Lol... I'm blonde. I like to keep it simple

Anyhow. OP: when you say everything is fine, does this mean your issue is resolved or...??

07-07-08 09:33 PM
    Lol... I'm blonde. I like to keep it simple

Anyhow. OP: when you say everything is fine, does this mean your issue is resolved or...??

Everything is fine= nothing has changed for the old bb. As far as I can tell, the bb is responding in the exact same way as it does on my personal pc. I have no idea if the error is still there because it happens randomly and the last error occured at 5:30am this morning.
    07-07-08 09:44 PM
    Hmm. I am getting stumped here..

07-07-08 09:47 PM
    Well thanks for everyone's help You guys had some great ideas that I never thought of. Another reason why I love CB!

I may take this replacement bb into AT&T tomorrow and have a cs rep tinker with it while I wait for yet another replacement. And yes, thank God I do not have to get a new pc ! That was a scary thought lol.
    07-07-08 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD