Good luck over there texas.

I think ppl in the states really appreciate our service men/woman reguardless of what they think about the war.
    08-16-08 06:13 AM
    Hi, I certainly can't answer your question about the coverage...but wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU for serving our country.

People like you keep me safe every night when I lay down my head and I'm so thankful to you and all of our men and women who serve.

God Speed
    08-16-08 07:55 AM
    If you're going to be in the IZ you'll be able to get a fairly cheap phone in the PX along with an Iraqna sim card. I forget the per minute charges for calls to the U.S. but it wasn't too bad as I recall. Most FOBs have little marts with phones and Iraqna sim cards available. Internet access is pretty common and you should not have too many problems keeping in touch with home one way or another.

On a side note, the embassy DFAC ain't half bad if you're in the area.

Good luck and safe travels.
    08-16-08 09:22 AM
    SFCTexas, I would put it on hold too. Get a cheap phone. I have a good friend that's over in the sandbox right now US Marine Corp. He told me that sand gets into EVERYTHING over there. Won't be a good thing for a Blackberry for sure.

Watch your six and keep your head down! Take care my brother and good luck to you!
    08-16-08 11:29 AM
    Hi, I certainly can't answer your question about the coverage...but wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU for serving our country.

People like you keep me safe every night when I lay down my head and I'm so thankful to you and all of our men and women who serve.

God Speed

A BIG +1!
    08-16-08 11:42 AM
    God speed buddy and thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 01:05 PM
    Thank You Texas and stay safe over there!
    08-16-08 01:15 PM
    I think this is the first post I have read on Crackberry that has given me a heavy heart.

Thank you my friend for your sacrifice and know that you are in many people's prayers. Be strong, be careful and be safe.

Godspeed.
    08-16-08 02:36 PM
    I was there in 03-04 and there were plenty of "Hodgie" phones that you can get VERY cheap!

Good luck over there & stay safe!!!
    08-16-08 03:15 PM
    i heard there is plenty of "free" phone time to call home, and even webcam internet phone, all courtesy of Uncle SAm. I wouldn't worry about ATT or whoever suspending your contract temporarily, as you are in the service (I assume..). Be safe and God Bless.
    08-16-08 04:41 PM
    First off good luck, was there in the beginning 03 to near end of year(combination of having 2 rotations back to back in different countries).

Since you have a family plan see if ATT will just suspend your phone or put it on hold for your deployment time. Get a cheaper phone as I would go nuts if something happened to my BB. There are allot out there that could work well with you.

Don't know your MOS but also see what commo set up you are going to have over there. I work in logistics and got lucky enough to use the warehouse phones we had and DSN numbers to call the bases back home and have them transfer my call home for free. (Find the one closest to your home). I am sure there are computer hubs around to use as well.
    But look into the cheaper phones first.

I have another 15 to 24 months before we rotate back over there again.

SGT B
    Army Strong
    08-16-08 05:02 PM
    While you're there, if you're not worried about getting pics on your phone, get a Motofone F3. The F3 is super cheap, $30USD unlocked from Motorolla, has a really long talk time and best of all, the can handle the dust. The dust/sand is so annoying and gets into everything.
    08-16-08 05:15 PM
    Thank you for serving!!!! God's speed & stay safe!!!!

08-16-08 05:19 PM
    Good Luck brother, stay safe and keep you head down!
    08-16-08 06:14 PM
    Stay safe and if you need anything don't think twice about asking...
    11-14-08 12:02 AM
    Thank you for your service and do all you can to keep yourself, your fellow soldiers, and the civs you're protecting safe. Like everything else, you'll learn more about what kind of phones to buy and why when you're there. Obviously, you want to try to prep as much as possible before you ship out but the truth is you can only do so much. You'll be learning by doing, but I have no doubt you'll succeed. Please keep us posted and God bless.
    11-14-08 12:27 AM
    Good luck over there Texas, I know you heard this before, but stay safe, and THANKS for serving!
    Check in when you have time let us know how you are doing.
    Highest regards,
    clive
    11-14-08 05:45 AM
    Stay safe and thanks for serving. Get home safe and sound.

11-14-08 07:37 AM
    SFCTexas has not posted since August.

Hope you are well.
    check in with us Soldier!!
    11-14-08 09:58 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD