I am deploying to Iraq very very soon. Should I try to set up or change anything on my phone prior to going or should I just buy a cheap pay as you go phone? If you answer me me keep in mind my geek level is not very high, but im getting better.
    08-13-08 09:57 AM
    yeah, suspend your contract and put your phone in a safe place til you get home. or give it to a buddy and get the bold when you get back. Good luck and stay safe out there.
    08-13-08 10:20 AM
    Good luck there stay as safe as possible man thanks a lot for serving our country

With regard to your question stop your contract and if your allowed to get a cheap phone there because buying a pay as you go phone here wont make a difference there and if you dont want to do that you could just buy minutes on a card and when your in contact with a phone use that
    08-13-08 10:24 AM
    Stay safe over there
    08-13-08 10:30 AM
    I not sure suspending my account is a good idea since I am on a family plan. That would suspend everyone on the account would it not?
    08-13-08 10:31 AM
    yah i would stop the contract here before you go
    08-13-08 10:31 AM
    Thank you for the concern from all of you. It nice to know the majority of the american people are behind us.
    08-13-08 10:34 AM
    You would need a SIM unlocked GSM-900 compatible phone. There is little or no cellular service anywhere north of Baghdad. Telecommunications as a whole, while getting better, is still pretty dismal overall. Many of the phone systems are "neighborhood" systems, meaning you can only call people in that neighborhood with no outside connectivity. Those that can afford it will often use satellite phones or depend on military comms to call the states. Good luck to you.
    08-13-08 10:36 AM
    I not sure suspending my account is a good idea since I am on a family plan. That would suspend everyone on the account would it not?

not sure about that, maybe you should ask ATT, maybe they will understand and deactivate your phone for free, if not i wouldnt really matter since your on a family plan, you could leave the phone home
    08-13-08 10:38 AM
    When I was there in 2003-2004 there where lots of prepaid phones for cheep in kuwait, and i am sure there are even more now. u could get an unlocked nokia over there for less than 1oobucks or just buy one from someone who is leaving and buy the cards. its cheeper and u can use yahoo messenger to keep in touch with the fam. much cheeper than calling. Again good luck and be safe. 88th MP Co. 377th TSC
    08-13-08 10:39 AM
    You would need a SIM unlocked GSM-900 compatible phone. There is little or no cellular service anywhere north of Baghdad. Telecommunications as a whole, while getting better, is still pretty dismal overall. Many of the phone systems are "neighborhood" systems, meaning you can only call people in that neighborhood with no outside connectivity. Those that can afford it will often use satellite phones or depend on military comms to call the states. Good luck to you.
    Ok.......thank you for the info, but exceded my geek level with that one (GSM-900). I am dumb when it comes to this stuff. Please dont think I am insulting you. I want to increase my geek level. I say that in a respecful way.
    08-13-08 10:44 AM
    Hoooooooooah sarge....B safe over there man!
    08-13-08 10:46 AM
    Ok.......thank you for the info, but exceded my geek level with that one (GSM-900). I am dumb when it comes to this stuff. Please dont think I am insulting you. I want to increase my geek level. I say that in a respecful way.
    Ahhh, not to worry... a GSM-900 compatible is the type of phone Jerry010 is talking about. Once you're there his suggestion to find someone heading home and take over theirs is a good one.
    08-13-08 10:47 AM
    I would suspend the contract for sure. They will allow you to do so. And definitely get a pre-paid phone. You don't want sand and grime to get all into your BB. Also, remember the ROE, but make sure you stay safe and don't hesitate you lay one down brother!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-08 10:49 AM
    If you go through Arifjan, they have a lot of unlocked phones there cheap, cheaper than here. You probably want to wait until you're there to see what is allowed. My wife goes regularly and said they don't want military to have cell phones so they can black out information - to prevent injury info from getting back to the States. She also said everyone has one anyway, but you wouldn't want to have your Berry confiscated and locked up. You'll get internet time, so keep us posted about how you're doing and if you need anything. One of your crackberry brothers or sisters will certainly help. Feel free to pm me if you need anything at all while you are there and I'll get it to you if I can.

08-13-08 11:06 AM
    I am deploying to Iraq very very soon. Should I try to set up or change anything on my phone prior to going or should I just buy a cheap pay as you go phone? If you answer me me keep in mind my geek level is not very high, but im getting better.
    when i went to iraq, i just told att (cingular at the time) that i was deploying and they just put a hold on the phone. But i kept my phone active until the day i left the country just to stay in touch as long as you can. Good luck over there.
    08-13-08 11:08 AM
    Thank you. I will have my laptop with me over there. I will keep in touch with my "geek" related questions. This is the best place I have found to assist me in my quest for a higher level of geekness. Maybe I should change my username to grasshopper.
    08-13-08 11:38 AM
    God bless you, get home safe.
    08-13-08 12:09 PM
    I can't thank you enough for what you do. I give you the most genuine thank you I can. Thank you for serving us. I will pray for your safety.
    08-13-08 12:15 PM
    Good luck and keep safe I am in the UK and are very proud of the Job you and our guys do
    I salute you
    08-14-08 05:09 AM
    I'm pretty sure your gona stop at Kuwait before heading to Iraq. If so, then you should know that unlocked phones are pretty cheap here. Infact, all phones are unlocked in Kuwait. Also, a pay as you go sim is for FREE in Kuwait International Airport. You can top-up online from over there. Minutes are quite expensive on pay as you go though...
    08-14-08 08:54 AM
    Damn you can have phones over there now?

When I was there back in 05 our unit made us turn in all the phones we hadn't shipped back home unless you could manage to find a way to hide it. I'm pretty damn sure its still against OPSEC to have a phone of any type and actively use it. Not to mention when the **** would you have time to use it or a place to use it without getting caught.

We were at Camp Fallujah for a short time and the only place you could make calls was the phone center on the ITC or mainside
    08-15-08 11:06 PM
    Thank you so much for serving and let everyone know that we really do care and appreciate the sacrifice all of our men and women in uniform make.

Good luck and stay safe over there.

God bless you and keep you.

Also keep us posted when you can get online.

08-15-08 11:34 PM
    Be safe, bro.

Wear your helmet and flak vest at all times, or the private contractors will write you a ticket (if you think im kidding, ask someone returning home)

And when you get back, if you have an extra M4...... im looking to buy, lol.

PS.... thank you.
    08-16-08 01:37 AM
    Damn you can have phones over there now?

When I was there back in 05 our unit made us turn in all the phones we hadn't shipped back home unless you could manage to find a way to hide it. I'm pretty damn sure its still against OPSEC to have a phone of any type and actively use it. Not to mention when the **** would you have time to use it or a place to use it without getting caught.

We were at Camp Fallujah for a short time and the only place you could make calls was the phone center on the ITC or mainside
    My daughter is over there now, and she can have a cell phone. She couldn't have one when she was in Taji but now in baghdad she can, so I guess it depends on where your at.
    08-16-08 04:35 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD