Hi, so first off, I'm new to Blackberries. I had a few Samsung phones that didn't work out so well, so I made the switch a few days ago, and I love it.

Only problem is.. when I first got my phone, there were a few problems actually setting up the internet. I called a Sprint representative and they got it fixed. Now most of my internet-based aps work (UberTwitter, Facebook). But Opera doesn't work at all. And the native browser often gives me the following message:

"HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout

The gateway timed-out while waiting for a response from the server. Please try loading a different page. Contact your service provider if this problem persists."

And this problem has been pretty persistent, but I don't feel like going through the hassle of contacting Sprint again. So is there any solution? I tried the 30 second battery refresh thing, but no dice. Also, playing Youtube videos doesn't work either.
    02-11-10 01:45 PM
    Are you attempting to load Opera, or http://mini.opera.com/ ? There is a difference, so for the moment I will go with what you've posted. If you had Opera Mini already, delete and reload.

YouTube videos are hit and miss on the Curve. I generally use Vuclip web video search , as you can see YouTube and other vids, and if they're not BlackBerry friendly, they will automatically convert given a couple of minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 02:47 PM
    It is possible that you may have BIS WAP browsing enabled, but not TCP Web browsing.

BOLT browser is quite good at playing youtube videos.

RIM browser gives me timeouts on WAP pages. This has something to do with the service books and I'm aware of the limitations of my data contract. My RIM browser works fine for web pages though. If you can find a pattern to the types of pages that don't work for you then you may narrow down the problem. RIM browser is the only one that can do OTA installs so you can't delete it, unfortunately.

Opera Mini 4 is quite good. The interaction design is superior to both of the above. However, it is less functional than BOLT. In Opera, go to settings and select Protocol: Socket. If you are not using WiFi then disable it at the same time. In BlackBerry OS, go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP and type in the APN for Sprint (google the values). Please check that your contract allows unlimited TCP browsing as its separate from BIS browsing.

Opera Mini 5 looks really promising but its still in beta and sometimes its really hard to follow a link. The interactions need bug fixing and feature set is currently not significantly better than Mini 4.
    Last edited by flop; 02-11-10 at 06:22 PM.
    02-11-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD