My boyfriend wanted me to post a question on his behalf. He has noticed that his blackberry's internet is constantly running .. meaning that the little arrows are flicking constantly on the icon in the top right corner where it says 1XEV and there are signal bars. Neither of us are technical experts when it comes to blackberry's (we're pretty new to the area) .. but the reason we both agree that it's probably not supposed to be happening is because we compared it to mine and the arrows only show up like that on mine when I'm using the internet browser or sending something. Sorry for the confusing and not-well-detailed question but if anyone can make any sense of this and let me know if there is an explanation or solution to it that would be awesome! Thanks a million in advance!
    : )
    11-12-08 09:59 PM
    An application is either running in the backround or updating all the time. Start off with a battery pull>remove battery while device is ON, wait a minute and re-insert. After it boots up you need to close your applications out properly after using them by hitting menu>scroll down and hit close...
    11-12-08 10:04 PM
    yay! fast and well detailed response! thank you! i will tell him to give this a try!
    11-12-08 10:08 PM
    Hold down the Alt key, then while keeping it depressed, press the counter-clockwise arrow key immediately to the right of the trackball. That will bring up the list of programs that are running. 5 are always running and cannot be closed: Messages, Messenger, Call Log, Home Screen, Browser. Anything else that's running is potentially your culprit. Be sure he closes each program when he finishes with it, and doesn't just press the red phone button. That will keep programs from remaining running in the background.
    11-12-08 10:08 PM
    It shouldn't be constantly doing that but it will occasionally do that. Mine does the same thing.

If is contantly doing that do as jeff suggested and that should fix it. Does he have a lot of 3rd party apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cereal killer; 11-12-08 at 10:14 PM.
    11-12-08 10:11 PM
    I can always count on you guys for answers. I had always thought that hitting the red phone button was all I needed to do. I also didn't know how to find out what was running in the back ground.
    This did bring up one question, for things like gmail and stock quote apps, will these not refresh until they are opened?

11-13-08 03:45 AM
    I can always count on you guys for answers. I had always thought that hitting the red phone button was all I needed to do. I also didn't know how to find out what was running in the back ground.
    This did bring up one question, for things like gmail and stock quote apps, will these not refresh until they are opened?

I think they have to be running for anything to refresh...so you have to keep your stock quote apps running in the background to get uptodate details. Btw which app you use for stock quotes?

Thanks

11-13-08 09:00 AM
    I had been using the WSJ [Wall Street Journal] app until a couple of days ago. It stopped working on my 8320 and I haven't found anything to replace it yet.
    11-13-08 03:05 PM
    You may have already fixed this, but my Blackberry 8830 was constantly sending and receiving and depleting my battery within 2 hours...took it in to Sprint. The tech did a hard reset...saved all of my info...and works normal again....

Chris
    11-22-08 08:33 PM
    You could have done the reset yourself, pull your battery...
    11-22-08 08:35 PM
    Or alt+right shift+del x2

11-22-08 08:52 PM
    I am having the same problem over the last few days. My curve (8320) is constantly sending/recieving and draining the battery in a few hours.

I took out all applications that I installed the last few weeks. Did many battery pulls. Also took out Facebook which seems to run all the time. When I reboot I only have the 4 applications running, nothing else.

I called TMO and all they could come up with is to do a wipe of the device. They did try putting the device back on the network.

Anyone else have any ideas other then a wipe?

Thanks!
    12-21-08 08:55 PM
    Is this with WIFI or Edge?
    12-21-08 08:57 PM
    It actually happens on both. When I am on Edge it on all the time. On WIFI it sending/recieving every couple of seconds.

Either way it will kill my battery in 4 hours or so.
    12-21-08 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD