I've been rolling without any insurance on my little 'Berry, so far so good. It had a near death experience this morning when it slipped out of my hands and hit the pavement, no malfunctions yet but that got my attention.

My question is to those of you who have insurance (not carrier provided), what are some good after market insurance vendors and what has been your experience when requiring service?
    02-23-09 11:06 AM
    The best insurance I've ever owned is called "Taking care of my stuff".

Insurance is a waste of money.
    02-23-09 11:07 AM
    The best insurance I've ever owned is called "Taking care of my stuff".

Insurance is a waste of money.
    Absolutely agree with you, this has been my mantra up until this morning when I saw little dude flying through the air and take a nose dive onto the concrete. I try to be careful with my stuff but that was just a moment of clumsiness that coulda been expensive. Makes ya a little edgy.....
    02-23-09 11:17 AM
    Fair enough, some people occasionally have these problems. Here's some math for you though....

Monthly insurance for Verizon BB's new I think is $5 a month, in a year, that will be $60. When you need to use the insurance, IF they say you're able to, you will get a refurbished phone to replace it, and you will pay $50 for it, that's $110 so far.

Go on craigslist, find a Curve someone doesn't want anymore for $100 and leave it around the house in case you need it. You won't wait a few days for a new one to come (unless you go to the store and get it), instant fix.

If you don't use your insurance, it's gone, money wasted. If you don't use the Curve you bought as an extra, sell it to someone else, or even just give it to a friend.
    02-23-09 11:25 AM
    You gotta love when someones response has nothing to do with the question asked. My wife has an Iphone. Our home/auto insurance company, Allstate, as a policy meant for smartphones called "personal article policy" I believe its ~$40/yr with no deductible. We have not used it yet, but I would check with your ins company. They might have a similar policy.
    02-23-09 11:53 AM
    You gotta love when someones response has nothing to do with the question asked. My wife has an Iphone. Our home/auto insurance company, Allstate, as a policy meant for smartphones called "personal article policy" I believe its ~$40/yr with no deductible. We have not used it yet, but I would check with your ins company. They might have a similar policy.
    Thanks for the useful info. I had thought of that and will certainly follow up on it. If I have a disaster in the family (i.e. loss of Little Dude, my trusted 'Berry) I want to be able to get a brand new replacement or maybe a new upgrade utilizing the utmost in economic frugality.
    02-23-09 12:32 PM
    I just got my Curve off of craigslist. It was $200 but it was brand new, an old lady was selling it because it was too confusing haha. It had all the discs, manual, charger, case, usb cable, etc and looked like it was never used. I'm sure you'd be able to find one that is just the phone or has a couple scratches on the side or something for cheap. Like it was said above, if you add up all the $6 for every month and the $50 deductible, you are paying a lot to wait a few days and get a refurbished phone.
    02-23-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD