Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've owned my Curve for 9 days now and love it. This site has been wonderful, I downloaded the 4.5 OS, Opera Mini, youtalk (although I haven't done anything with that yet!) bought a silicone skin for it, and installed a 2gb microcard. I feel like a blackberry pro. (yeah, right).

Anyway, I bought my curve from lets talk dot com (sorry, trying to get around the URL thing) and I don't believe I have any insurance on it. I did visit their FAQ secton and saw that I can purchase third party insurance for $49.99 a year. Well, I was able to take advantage of lets talk dot com deals and purchased my little beauty for $50. So - how sturdy are these little guys? Should I purchase the insurance or not?

(I do tend to drop my phones, I haven't dropped this one yet, but I do have the skin on it...)
    01-23-09 08:55 AM
    50 bucks a year sounds like a deal, depending on the rules of course and the deductible... I would check that for fairness before you buy.

Insurance through my carrier is 7 per month or 84 per year.
    01-23-09 09:22 AM
    You can add it through AT&T if you are within your 30 days.
    01-23-09 09:24 AM
    They are pretty tough but I would highly suggest the insurance if it's only that amount each year. It's better to be safe than sorry...believe me I was safe bc I had insurance when my first curve bit the dust. Glad I had it that's for sure.
    01-23-09 09:28 AM
    You can add it through AT&T if you are within your 30 days.
    AT&T will insure a phone not bought through them?!?
    01-23-09 10:01 AM
    Here's what the site says:
    LetsTalk works with a third party vendor, National Cellular Owners Association (NCOA), to offer a device protection service for $49.99/year with no deductible. This covers the cell phone, original electronic accessories and batteries provided within the box. It does not include any aftermarket accessories purchased. When a claim is made, NCOA will decide if the insured product(s) should be repaired or replaced. The protected device and original included accessories are covered up to the replacement value or up to the limit of liability for each occurrence, whichever is less. If a covered item is not available for replacement, you will be offered a model of similar value.
    01-23-09 10:02 AM
    Never have, never will buy supplemental insurance for a phone.
    Covered in my homeowners policy. I believe renters insurance
    will do the same.
    01-23-09 10:04 AM
    Renters do yes, thats how mine is, Im very careful with my phone, never needed it anyways, and in the offchance something happens, Ill use renters ins.
    01-23-09 10:19 AM
    I would get some type of insurance for sure. I am trying to get my homeowners to give me an answer about adding it but they are clueless so far. I hope for a call back today to add mine to my plan, much cheaper to boot!
    01-23-09 10:23 AM
    The only problem with homeowners insurance is that if you make too many claims, eventually your premiums will be higher. At least that's what I've been told multiple times. In NH we had a severe ice storm last month, some people were without power for 2 weeks. Not that I was going to, but I was told not to file a claim for something that was only a few hundred dollars. Like all the food in my upright freezer or repairing a burst pipe.
    01-23-09 10:42 AM
    Never have, never will buy supplemental insurance for a phone.
    Covered in my homeowners policy. I believe renters insurance
    will do the same.
    AG - Is your deductible that low on your homeowners policy? I believe mine is at $500 and I would say most are set higher than just buying a new phone.

I agree with chele that I would never make a claim on my homeowners policy for something like this, because I have seen it happen, after a couple of claims, your homeowners policy is suddenly dropped and then you have a really hard time trying to get a decent price on a new policy because one of the questions they always ask is your claims history...
    01-23-09 11:22 AM
    If I were going to get insurance, I would buy it from squaretrade.com
    I buy all of my extended warranties/insurance from them, they're great. You can get 2 years of insurance with accidental damage coverage for $96 ($67.20 with coupon). If you don't want the accidental damage coverage (I highly recommend that you get it) then you can get 2 years of coverage for $48 ($33.60 with coupon). Also, use coupon code THIRTY30 for 30% off.
    01-23-09 11:23 AM
    When I got my Pearl (now have a curve) ATT told me they DIDN'T offer carrier insurance on BB. They gave me a business card for a place that would do supp insurance, but.. .I passed. These things (the pearl and curve) are ~$120 on ebay if I junk the phone before the contract is up.. its a wash between the insurance and deductible IMAO.
    01-23-09 12:02 PM
    When I got my Pearl (now have a curve) ATT told me they DIDN'T offer carrier insurance on BB. They gave me a business card for a place that would do supp insurance, but.. .I passed. These things (the pearl and curve) are ~$120 on ebay if I junk the phone before the contract is up.. its a wash between the insurance and deductible IMAO.
    I think a lot of it is luck too! Like rachel0179 says, I too am very careful with my phones, but 2007 was a bad year for me to own a phone, as I went through two Moto ROKRs with no insurance. Ouch! That hurt my wallet and a $50 accidental damage policy would've been a deal, versus the $400 I spent to replace them.

The first one went swimming with me while on vacation. My excuses are numerous: very hot after an all day ride in the desert on my Harley, alcohol may have been involved, out of my element in a hotel, armful of stuff to carry to the pool with phone in my swimsuit pocket, did I mention heatstroke...?

Off to Wal-Mart for a cheap phone to finish the trip with...

The second one was in my sweatpants pocket when my wife scooped them off the bed and threw them in the wash with the rest of the laundry.

My lesson learned - cell phones NEVER go in my pocket anymore!
    01-23-09 12:48 PM
    Does anyone know if sprint will insure a phone of it wasn't bought thru them? I got mine new from craigslist

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 01:00 PM
    I'm not sure on Sprint, but I do know, from first hand experience, that Alltel will not.

Just being proactive here...
    01-23-09 01:11 PM
    alcohol was not involved! stop lying!
    01-23-09 01:21 PM
    Ok. But only because it may not have made it from my stomach to my brain in the time it took to walk to the pool!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 04:52 PM
    lol *G*

this is to make the message longer. ignore.
    01-23-09 04:54 PM
    Alcohol WAS involved when my pearl took a swim... but I was pushed!

If I hadn't been impaired, I'm sure I could have gotten the battery out in time. Sadly, it was a salt chlorinated pool. I think the electrolyte content of the water exacerbated the electric contact destruction.

I guess you're right, if you need to get more than ONE phone in a year's time, insurance is a good deal.
    01-23-09 07:00 PM
    Try asurion for insurance, I believe as long your ESN is clean they should be able to hook you up.
    01-23-09 09:22 PM
    Try asurion for insurance, I believe as long your ESN is clean they should be able to hook you up.
    WOW! I'm thinking not with Asurion, I looked it up and the deductible is $125 for a phone that I received free after rebate! Squaretrade has a much better deal without a doubt.
    01-24-09 12:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD