My DH and I are complete newbies to the instant messaging thing. Up until now we have had text messaging on our phones but when he upgrades in November to a smartphone we will probably drop down to smallest text plan that we can get away with. We want to use an IM program between the two of us that would use the data service on our phones since we will have unlimited data but limited text messages per month. What programs are out there and which ones are good? I am trying to research well in advance so that when the time comes we can just set it up and go. Thanks.
    08-22-08 02:05 PM
    all the IM programs for blackberry use data
    08-22-08 02:13 PM
    this ones seems very popular!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/jive-talk-43841/

i'm sure you will get some info from other users about it as well. i don't personally use it!
    08-22-08 02:13 PM
    all the IM programs for blackberry use data
    the Mobile IM i use on my BB that i downloaded from the VZW page uses SMS.
    08-22-08 02:16 PM
    the Mobile IM i use on my BB that i downloaded from the VZW page uses SMS.
    really?

what program is it?
    08-22-08 02:19 PM
    this one: VZStart

it's a free app it's called Mobile IM and with it you can access AIM/Windows Live/Yahoo messengers.
    08-22-08 02:24 PM
    OP - if you both get BlackBerries (I assume that's what you're leaning toward, since you posted on a BB forum...), you can use the built-in BB messenger between each other. It uses data, not text messages, so no text message charges.

I think that's what you have in mind, right? To be able to message back & forth, but you don't get (or want) other messaging? Besides, with your unlimited data and a BB, you can e-mail back and forth to anyone, using only data and no text charges.
    Last edited by AbeFrohman; 08-22-08 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clarified poor grammar.
    08-22-08 02:25 PM
    and you are sure it doesn't use data?
    08-22-08 02:25 PM
    Does BB messenger use data? Yes. OP said she and her hubby will have unlimited data plans, but limited texting. Sounds like they message back & forth. BB messenger sounds fairly ideal for them, no?
    08-22-08 02:30 PM
    Does BB messenger use data? Yes. OP said she and her hubby will have unlimited data plans, but limited texting. Sounds like they message back & forth. BB messenger sounds fairly ideal for them, no?

ooops

sorry, i was actually meaning that for chrisy520 in regards to her saying that VZStart doesn't use data
    08-22-08 02:32 PM
    yup. it states that each IM sent/received is an SMS right on the download page.

sorry, went OT answering the Mobile IM question.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 08-22-08 at 02:36 PM.
    08-22-08 02:33 PM
    it does, yes! BBM is probably the best solution!
    08-22-08 02:34 PM
    yup. it states that each IM sent/received is an SMS right on the download page.

sorry, went OT answering the Mobile IM question.
    thats cool
    08-22-08 02:39 PM
    since we weren't v helpful to the OP the least i can dois give a link to explain BBM: lol

Lecture 8: How To Use BlackBerry Messenger | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 08-22-08 at 02:50 PM.
    08-22-08 02:41 PM
    Unfortunately, my DH is leaning towards a different phone due to the BB not being 3G and he wants streaming video (silly baseball highlights ). So BBMessenger won't work. Thanks for all the other advice and links though.
    08-22-08 02:59 PM
    Well, there's always divorce.

Kidding. Thought you were both going with BBs. Good luck.
    08-22-08 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD