Can any 8320 users please tell me what's the minimal amount I have to pay T-Mobile to use IM (Gtalk or Aim) so I can IM my girl in China?(she could be IMing from her laptop... for all i care)

Thanx a lot
    Last edited by leroypinto123; 10-19-08 at 05:30 PM.
    10-19-08 04:34 PM
    It should be ok if you have the Data Plan on your phone.
    10-19-08 06:55 PM
    It should be ok if you have the Data Plan on your phone.
    will it work if I only get the $9.99 unlimited email??
    10-19-08 07:28 PM
    I dont think so..

the blackberry data plan.. its 19.95 a month I think..

Call T mo to make sure for certain..

YOu dont have the data plan as of right now?
    10-19-08 07:31 PM
    Just get the BIS package for $19.99. What's the point of a Blackberry without FULL data (internet, email, etc, etc)...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-08 07:31 PM
    I dont think so..

the blackberry data plan.. its 19.95 a month I think..

Call T mo to make sure for certain..

YOu dont have the data plan as of right now?
    I got my blackberry so I can TEXT... and frankly, that's all I cared about. I would have gotten the sidekick if it weren't so bulky.

Eventually I'll get the BIS when I REALLY need to use data and see the weather, or the news on my phone, but for now, I want the IM feature since my gf is going to china for a few months.

Thanx for the replies though
    10-19-08 07:42 PM
    Will she have an american # still? her cell.. or is she not taking that?
    10-19-08 07:43 PM
    Will she have an american # still? her cell.. or is she not taking that?
    Oh no, she wont have her current phone with her, but the point is that she can go online on a laptop when she is free, and we can IM each other (me using my curve, obviously)
    10-19-08 07:46 PM
    I see..

really though.. you should get the data plan, you wont regret it.. and to talk to your gf.. worth it more yes?

You can always drop it when she gets back...
    10-19-08 07:49 PM
    Yeah I will.... seems like the best solution to keep in touch with her... and if I get used to the data plan (which i think i will), then I may not end up cancelling it....
    10-19-08 07:53 PM
    You will need the data plan to I'm. Email will only work for email.
    10-19-08 07:53 PM
    Yeah I will.... seems like the best solution to keep in touch with her... and if I get used to the data plan (which i think i will), then I may not end up cancelling it....
    I bet you wont :P its like a mini laptop.. for real...
    10-19-08 07:54 PM
    Hey Rachel, also, I see u have the 8320, and u have the 4.5 os... I upgraded mine once and the speaker volume had dropped, and my mute button did not function the way it was supposed to.... did that happen to u??
    10-19-08 07:55 PM
    oh yea, i just remembered that this one rep from tmobile told me I can IM with the $5.99 tzones data... is that true... I'm assuming its not the same push IM stuff u get with the data plan
    10-19-08 07:57 PM
    I noticed that it the alert volume dropped a TAD but thats ok as I found even the low settings was quite loud for me on 4.2. so Ive had no issues whatsoever..

I had to get a new curve Friday, so updated that OS also, when I plugged in this to the DM it switched everything for me, and prompted me to upgrade.. just had to remove the vendor file, and bam... no issues either time updating.. I love it..

The mute button at the top? whats wrong with it?
    10-19-08 07:57 PM
    I wouldnt even mess with T zones, soooo slow.. regardless..
    10-19-08 07:58 PM
    well first, I'm in school and there are some nights where i dont get sleep. In fact I should be studying right now... lol. But alarm volume is VERY important to me, so it wakes me up even if i'm sleep deprived.

As for the mute button... when i mute it, the screen WILL go blank, but if I pressed either the back key or call key, the screen would light up again....

But I hear the official release for the 8320 4.5 os is coming soon. So i'll wait for that..
    10-19-08 08:00 PM
    I wouldnt even mess with T zones, soooo slow.. regardless..
    Oh, I see,

Thanx for the warning!!

You guys are so much more helpful than the reps at tmobile... lol
    10-19-08 08:01 PM
    well first, I'm in school and there are some nights where i dont get sleep. In fact I should be studying right now... lol. But alarm volume is VERY important to me, so it wakes me up even if i'm sleep deprived.

As for the mute button... when i mute it, the screen WILL go blank, but if I pressed either the back key or call key, the screen would light up again....

But I hear the official release for the 8320 4.5 os is coming soon. So i'll wait for that..
    Yes, thats the standy thing.. if you are not on a call, you hit the mute button, it puts it to sleep.. saves battery...

I think that is what you are talking about.. right...
    10-19-08 08:04 PM
    Yes, thats the standy thing.. if you are not on a call, you hit the mute button, it puts it to sleep.. saves battery...

I think that is what you are talking about.. right...
    Yup... thats it.... the silver button on the top left...

I use it extensively
    10-19-08 08:05 PM
    Whats the issue with it then? LOL Im confused..the standby on 4.5 works differently than 4.2 which I prefer it this way, just hitting the escape or call key to wake up, then standby again.. I didnt like the 4.2 way LOL
    10-19-08 08:07 PM
    oh.... so it DOES wake up when u hit the back key on the 4.5

See thing is that I dont want the screen to light up in my pocket if the back button is hit accidentally. I may dial someone, or just waste battery.
    10-19-08 08:11 PM
    oh.... so it DOES wake up when u hit the back key on the 4.5

See thing is that I dont want the screen to light up in my pocket if the back button is hit accidentally. I may dial someone, or just waste battery.
    It does wake up, but it should also prompt you to hit the standby key again to get it functionable.
    so if you are in standby, and in your pocket, it really shouldnt come outa that at all unless your pen hits your standby button LOL

You can also lock the keyboard too, if its in your pocket..
    10-19-08 08:16 PM
    It does wake up, but it should also prompt you to hit the standby key again to get it functionable.
    so if you are in standby, and in your pocket, it really shouldnt come outa that at all unless your pen hits your standby button LOL

You can also lock the keyboard too, if its in your pocket..
    An IM thread turned into a standby button thread.... lol

See, the 4.5 os i put on my curve just turned on and was ready to use when I hit the back button, which meant that i COULD accidentally call someone.

But i see what ur saying. If the 4.5 os u have works the way u say it does, then thats fine for me too.

gtg... Thanx for all ur help Rachel
    10-19-08 08:22 PM
    Well, another option too, is to turn off Dial from Home screen, which I have, and prefer..

Bye Bye
    10-19-08 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD