With an 8330 Verizon phone I used JL_Cmdr 1.90 and performed WIPE.

Then I removed Vendor.xml file from the Apploader directory

Then I installed the only vendor file I had downloaded which was US Cellular's most current v4.5066

I opened up the Desktop Manager V5.0 and ran the Apploader. Selected default which listed v4.5 (no other options found)

It showed success in each step, but when I look at the phone it shows the verizon background and a message from Verizon thanking me for choosing the Verizon Wireless Network. Also-- it shows the Verizon logo during O/S load.

Should I be expecting US Cellular background? Not sure where to look on the phone to double check vendor.

No vendor.xml file was replaced. I didn't go to the US Cellular store yet because I don't want to hand over a hacked up VZW O/S. Will the vendor.xml file replace itself or is it just gone for good now?

Finally... if it is indeed what it appears to be- that the Verizon OS reinstalled itself- what did I do wrong? Also, since it was a WIPE operation, and I had no VZW backups that I knew of, how did it replace the VZW operating system back onto the phone?

Little confused. Any help/clues much appreciated.
    Last edited by stabmaster; 07-26-09 at 07:07 PM.
    07-26-09 07:05 PM
    It will still show verizon stuff no matter what os you put on there. If u want to see what is installed go to options-about and a few lines down it will list what os is installed. You don't have to replace the vendor.xml file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 07:15 PM
    It will still show verizon stuff no matter what os you put on there. If u want to see what is installed go to options-about and a few lines down it will list what os is installed. You don't have to replace the vendor.xml file.

thanks. It showed v4.5.077 which is the latest O/S that is offered when i go to the verizon download page. The latest downloadable O/S with US Cellular is v4.5.066. From this I suppose it installed the latest verizon software.

The ONLY software I had downloaded is the US Cellular software. Under "Loader Files" directory, the only O/S directory is labelled 8330~v4.5.0.66 etc.

Also, I tried to do the O/S installation again- and this time I wiped and then restarted the phone. Got the code 506 which I believe indicates that there is no O/S left on there. Now I'm trying to figure out where the Verizon software came from in the first place???!!!!
    07-26-09 07:53 PM
    Hold on a minute. You can't just load US Cellular software on a Verizon branded BB and expect to use it on another network/carrier. It doesn't work that way.

07-26-09 08:17 PM
    "Then I installed the only vendor file I had downloaded which was US Cellular's most current v4.5066
    "

you dont need to do this.. you dont need to "put back" a vendor file.

Do you HAVE US cellular and were installing a vzw OS, or do you have VZW and trying to install a uscellular os?
    07-26-09 08:24 PM
    Hold on a minute. You can't just load US Cellular software on a Verizon branded BB and expect to use it on another network/carrier. It doesn't work that way.

According to the thread that I initiated a couple of weeks ago it does work that way (?!)
    forums.crackberry.com/f52/can-i-put-uscc-os-any-cdma-phone-270308/

rachel: Its the second one. I have a VZW phone and I'm trying to install USCC O/S for use on USCC plan
    07-26-09 08:29 PM
    Its not going to change everything to US Cellular, you will still see the VZW splash on boot up etc,
    07-26-09 08:32 PM
    Its not going to change everything to US Cellular, you will still see the VZW splash on boot up etc,
    That's cool - but I guess the million dollar question is will this work on a USCC cell phone plan assuming that the ESN is clear? Also assuming that the local shop is cool with it, which it is because I've done the same thing to a RAZR. Also I'm still wondering what O/S is on there presently since it is reading v5.0.77 which looks like verizon's latest O/S.
    07-26-09 08:35 PM
    Heh...

(10char)
    07-26-09 08:37 PM
    you want to switch carriers from vzw to us cellular with that specific BB?

VZW latest os, Im not sure what it is, I think .77 is an older version, you can load the 4.5.0.160 for the 8330 which the link and instructions are in the stickies above..on the forum page.

Im still not 100% clear about what your million dollar question is.. you want to take it all to us cellular?
    07-26-09 08:38 PM
    you want to take it all to us cellular?
    yes. I've done this with a RAZR or two before. I want to activate the phone on a US Cellular account. I have posed the exact question before - in the previously referenced link. Not sure where the communication is falling apart here.
    07-26-09 08:43 PM
    You all have me completely lost, you can load any OS, no matter the carrier, as long as the OS is for your device model. OS's are device specific, not carrier. This does not affect your cell plan or service, hope this sums it up for ya...
    07-26-09 08:46 PM
    Yes they are both cdma. As lon as the ESN is clear ans USCC is willing to activate you are fine. Just change theme to a generic blackberry theme. You can't change the splash start-up screen unless you debrand the phone (complicated and not necessary).

07-26-09 08:50 PM
    Ok NOW I understand lol

you want to unlock the VZW phone to work on US cellular, is us cellular a CDMA provider though? I know nothing about them.

See, you can unlock a gsm (tmobile, at&t) to work on all carriers, however you cant unlock a cdma (vzw, sprint, alltell) to work on a gsm network.. i think. unlesss its changed now.
    07-26-09 08:51 PM
    Yes they are both cdma. As lon as the ESN is clear ans USCC is willing to activate you are fine. Just change theme to a generic blackberry theme. You can't change the splash start-up screen unless you debrand the phone (complicated and not necessary).

and there you go
    07-26-09 08:52 PM
    So to the OP, the million dollar question is "will US Cellular allow that ESN on their network?

If not, you are SOL.

07-26-09 08:54 PM
    and there you go
    Thank you all!

As per my other question
    Any way to verify that I actually, correctly installed the US Cellular OS since the only information given in the "About" menu is the OS version number, not the carrier
    07-26-09 09:40 PM
    So to the OP, the million dollar question is "will US Cellular allow that ESN on their network?

If not, you are SOL.

I believe that the answer is yes - I've actually activated a few verizon phones on US Cellular network. So long as the ESN is not "bad," they'll activate it for me.
    07-26-09 09:43 PM
    From Home screen, hold the Alt key, then hold the left shift key, then press H. If the vendor ID is 105, then it is Verizon.

I don't know why you would expect it to be anything else though.

07-26-09 09:49 PM
    k i'm pretty sure I understand the communication breakdown here. US Cellular operating system doesn't change nothin' except installed applications, and the phone retains its verizon splashscreen, vendor ID, etc. Essentially, it's different from RAZR where the firmware is replaced with a new splashscreen, interface, etc.
    07-26-09 09:58 PM
    Yes, that is correct. The Blackberry phones have generic device specific software. All carrier related programs and functionality is pushed to the device via Service Books.

If you successfully activate your 8330 on US Cellular, the Service Books for US Cellular will be sent to your device. The Verizon splash screen will continue to display whenever the device is booted. There is a process for debranding a BB, but it can brick your device.

07-26-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD