Looked around for this and couldn't find a good answer! I know txts have to be added to your plan, but using IM is just part of the data plan per month, correct?
    10-12-07 04:28 PM
    to my knowledge, yes. its part of internte plan.
    10-12-07 04:42 PM
    There's more than one BB data plan. BlackBerry Unlimited add-on ($19.99) to a voice plan seems to not included IM's. It seems to depend on the voice plan. My voice plan says:

"Each instant message sent or received is charged or deducted as a text message. You may also be charged for all the administrative functions such as buddy list updates or signing on and off."

But, the BlackBerry Minutes and Mail plan ($59.99) which has 1000 whenever minutes plus unlimited email and internet, includes unlimited domestic text and instant messages.

I did receive 2 IM's the first day I had my phone that I think were not charged, but most of my calls over wifi don't show on my account either.
    10-12-07 06:08 PM
    No they are not. I was understanding that using an instant messenger program like yahoo was part of the unlimited data plan. My $450 phone bill one month was proof that they are not. Any instant message counts towards your text message count. The one thing that I did not ask about was blackberry messenger and if that counts towards the count also. As soon as I get back to the states I will find out though.
    10-13-07 07:34 AM
    BBM is like Pin to Pin messaging and therefore only BB to BB and should be included in your plan. As i from the UK i wont want to be quoted on that but there are plenty of people on here who could clarify this.
    10-13-07 08:21 AM
    at least t-mobile has the option for a cheaper bb plan. I'm on the AT&T unlimited and was scared to see this thread...but verified that it only counts towards my internet usage
    10-13-07 11:46 AM
    Looked around for this and couldn't find a good answer! I know txts have to be added to your plan, but using IM is just part of the data plan per month, correct?
    From what Tmo reps have told me, IMs and Text Messages are part of the unlimited text messaging package -- NOT the unlimited BlackBerry data plan.

I recently got my Curve (and am loving it). When I called to change my plan I asked it the unlimited BlackBerry data plan would allow me to cancel my unlimited text message plan and I was told NO.
    10-14-07 01:36 PM
    It really depends on my instant messaging program you are using. Some use text messages and some use data.

For example, BlackBerry Messenger (PIN) and Jivetalk use data. If you have data plan, they come out of that.

There are also IM programs that use text messages. I think there is one call OZ or something like that. If it says it uses SMS text messages, they are not counted in the data plan.

It is stupid that an unlimited data plan doesn't really get you unlimited data, but that is just how it is.
    10-14-07 02:16 PM
    Yahoo uses txt?
    10-14-07 02:57 PM
    I very simple answer your questions,

just dial #MSG# , then tell me how many meters of text msg left you have now?? mmmm

Like dial #646# as whenever minutes you used..
    10-14-07 07:36 PM
    The old OZ Messenger programs included on some of the T-Mobile Blackberry's uses SMS/text messages and not data. The new Curve 8320 has built-in native IM clients that use data.

If you aren't sure which one you are using, then call T-Mobile and ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-07 02:24 PM
    Or you could just download JiveTalk and not have to worry about text vs data
    10-17-07 10:52 AM
    The instant messaging other than the BB messenger aren't part of the data plan. You gotta get the unlimited messaging bundle which includes IMs, picture, text, video
    10-17-07 12:46 PM
    Just go with Jivetalk and never worry about it again. It is by far the one MUST HAVE program for any BB user
    10-17-07 01:33 PM
    Kasperapd is right. I work at T-Mo. The new IM clients that came with the 8320 and are available for free download for the 8800 both work over data, hence no charges if you have a data plan. The OZ messenger that was used for older BB's works over txt, hence charges unless you have a SMS feature added.
    10-18-07 09:28 AM
    hi, im a noob here... just bought a curve (8320) last week from tMo... i did not avail of their tmo internet ($20/month), is this the reason why i can't use all the built in messenger (ym,gtalk,bb msngr,icq,aim) in my curve even if i have wifi at home?

TIA
    12-17-07 02:08 PM
    I very simple answer your questions,

just dial #MSG# , then tell me how many meters of text msg left you have now?? mmmm

Like dial #646# as whenever minutes you used..
    Seems simple, to you, maybe. But, my phone won't let me dial # !!!!!
    12-17-07 04:29 PM
    When i signed up for the blackberry plan, i was able to cancel my unlimited text messaging with no problems. It seems kind of odd that you weren't able to do so.

From what Tmo reps have told me, IMs and Text Messages are part of the unlimited text messaging package -- NOT the unlimited BlackBerry data plan.

I recently got my Curve (and am loving it). When I called to change my plan I asked it the unlimited BlackBerry data plan would allow me to cancel my unlimited text message plan and I was told NO.
    12-17-07 07:27 PM
    if you have unlimited text its free same as a text on tmobile
    12-17-07 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the information! I had stopped using my I'm because I moved from a company phone to my own (wanted @home service) and didn't know the IM my Curve uses data. Sweet!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-07 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD