hey i just got my blackberry and got unlimited text but no data. r there any IM applications that uses text and not data?
    08-01-09 10:58 AM
    SMS, or Small Message Service, only allows you short text messages, no file transfer and no smilies. That is as close to an IM client as you can get, without a BIS and data plan.
    08-01-09 11:50 AM
    I'd look at canceling the txt plan and apply $$ to data plan. I think there are apps that will let u txt from an application. Anyone confirm this?

I thought google voice was one of these options?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 11:53 AM
    ok, thanks for the help. i'm just kind of disappointed because my previous phone which was not nearly as good as a blackberry could use SMS based IM's. And i can't switch plans because for t-mobile the data plan is twice as much as the text.
    08-01-09 08:19 PM
    More than 1 of my friends has a smartphone without a data plan. But I don't get it. I think it's like having a wife without the "love" (take that however you will)

With texting you can text whoever you want. OBVIOUSLY. But with a data plan you can BBM/MSN IM/Gchat/AOL IM/ Yahoo IM/accessing ANY website / everything else. Depending on who you are talking to maybe a data plan will work best. Maybe a texting plan will work best.
    08-01-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD