Genius me, decided she wanted to "downgrade" the OS because one of the applications on my phone (myalarm) wanted to ask permission before going off, therefore defeating the purpose of the alarm all together!!

Anyways.. I deleted the newest OS from my computer using control panel. I backed up the computer the other day when I downloaded it so there was no need to do a backup again. I then opened device manager, application loader, etc etc.

Basically I FEEL i followed all instructions, but now my fone is on some generic ish!!! there's no AT&T logo anywhere, no "edge" in the corner. no color no themes i downloaded.. NOTHING!! My screen is str8 black & white!!! *hyperventilating*. So.. i figured... ok lemme do a restore from the backup i did the other day. NADA.. still generic-ville. So then I decide to download the newest os (.81) again. Downloaded, deleted the vender.xml.... darn device manager does not find it... AT ALL.

It has "no" applications when I go into applications.. lawd what did I do!?!

I'm bout to pass out!!! Someone please help. I dont know if I should just treat it as a nuked BB or what?!?
    Last edited by lyrikah; 10-23-08 at 07:57 PM.
    10-23-08 07:55 PM
    Do a clean install. First install the OS that you wanted to install into your BB on your PC. Second make sure to delete vendor.xml. Then use JL_cmd to wipe the phone and then use desktop manager to load your new OS.

if the above does not work, go to cmd prompt on windows. type: cd c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader then hit enter
    then type: loader /nojvm hit enter. Then just follow the instructions
    This method will do the job for sure.
    Last edited by nartac; 10-23-08 at 08:07 PM.
    10-23-08 08:04 PM
    From Desktop Manager, click on help / about. There should be a tab that lists what OS's you have installed. Make sure they match your device model. Second thing is to check the installation of the os. Just browse to the folder it was installed to (can't remember off the top of my head), I think its in the program folder/common files area. Make sure you have the dimension and zen themes in there. It sounds like you are missing your base themes. Perhaps uninstalling all OS installations and reinstalling the os.
    10-23-08 08:05 PM
    All these are in the "newer" os that the desktop manager does not see?!? I already deleted the vendor.xml file so i dont understand...
    10-23-08 08:16 PM
    I think part of your problem is that you already have the most current OS installed on your PC, also installed on your phone, and you are expecting something to happen. Which it won't because the OS on your PC is exactly the same was what is on your phone already. Like I said, the problem most likely is that you some how lost the dimension and zen theme modules from the OS install on your PC. To correct this, you would just reinstall the OS on your PC, remove the vendor file if need be, and plug in your phone. Desktop Manager should recognize that there are new/updated files for your device, and the missing theme modules should be installed back to your phone.
    10-23-08 08:22 PM
    Do a clean install. First install the OS that you wanted to install into your BB on your PC. Second make sure to delete vendor.xml. Then use JL_cmd to wipe the phone and then use desktop manager to load your new OS.

if the above does not work, go to cmd prompt on windows. type: cd c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader then hit enter
    then type: loader /nojvm hit enter. Then just follow the instructions
    This method will do the job for sure.
    It said I do not have software for the device
    10-23-08 08:27 PM
    I think part of your problem is that you already have the most current OS installed on your PC, also installed on your phone, and you are expecting something to happen. Which it won't because the OS on your PC is exactly the same was what is on your phone already. Like I said, the problem most likely is that you some how lost the dimension and zen theme modules from the OS install on your PC. To correct this, you would just reinstall the OS on your PC, remove the vendor file if need be, and plug in your phone. Desktop Manager should recognize that there are new/updated files for your device, and the missing theme modules should be installed back to your phone.
    Not the case. I have .52 on my phone & .81 is the latest on the computer. The vendor file has been removed
    10-23-08 08:28 PM
    Alright here is what I recommend then since it seems you are having some conflicts here. Just completely uninstall any OS software from your PC. Then reinstall whatever OS you want and see if it will reinstall the missing themes.
    10-23-08 08:38 PM
    Alright here is what I recommend then since it seems you are having some conflicts here. Just completely uninstall any OS software from your PC. Then reinstall whatever OS you want and see if it will reinstall the missing themes.
    Being that I "thought" I did that b4. How should I do that?
    Using the CDML thing or CrackMem?
    10-23-08 08:51 PM
    Your making this out to be more complicated than it should be. Follow the simple instructions.

Uninstall any BB OS you have on your computer
    Reboot
    Install the compatible BB OS
    Plug in your BB
    10-23-08 08:59 PM
    I thought I had my phone up & somewhat working. it had the "at&t" theme w/no issues.. all of a sudden it went back to that black & white thing. i'm downloading the .81 os again.. hopefully this will fix anything that caused any issues.. i dont know what else to do.
    10-23-08 10:43 PM
    Your making this out to be more complicated than it should be. Follow the simple instructions.

Uninstall any BB OS you have on your computer
    Reboot
    Install the compatible BB OS
    Plug in your BB
    I'm sorry, but I'm not a professional or an expert at this. it's difficult because i'm frustrated & it's late
    10-23-08 10:44 PM
    The first time I saw the generic black and white screen, it brought back memories of my ancient Apple Newton.

You should be able to correct it with:

Options / Theme. Select one of the pre-installed themes and save the setting.
    10-24-08 11:37 AM
    Man I finally gave up, wiped the bb & reloaded erthang all ova again. that was the scariest thing I've experienced for a while. Whats even more scarier is the fact that I stayed up til 3:30am doing this...
    10-25-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD