Alright sorry guys for all the questions but this one is actually the most serious one ive had so far.

I just put a song into my BB using the roxio program and when I go to play the song it wont play nor will my other ringtone that I got yesterday thru bluetooth. I deleted the song but now my ringtone wont work. When I press play it jus goes back to the press play button. The question is how do i get my ringtone to play again nd why this happened?

EDIT: i can play the ringtone in my roxio music manager but not on the phone!!

sorry for all the questions nd if it seems like im being annoying!
    Last edited by HensBerry; 09-13-09 at 12:15 AM.
    09-13-09 12:10 AM
    ok so i tried playing my other ringtones that came with the BB and none of them can play either...can neone help me out here
    09-13-09 12:26 AM
    It looks like software issues to me. I would recommend backing everything up and do a complete wipe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 12:33 AM
    I would also check to make sure you have the most recent os at the same time.

09-13-09 12:54 AM
    Just do a battery pull, before you do anything drastic like a wipe.

Roxio $ucks, just use Mass Storage Mode to transfer your music and ringtones if you have a media card.

09-13-09 02:27 AM
    LOL...I love it when someone with 4 posts tells someone to do something drastic...lol. It's either a wipe or an OS reload when all that was needed is a battery pull.

Like many posters sigs say...."When in doubt, pull it out." I hope they are referring to the battery at least..lol.
    09-13-09 02:33 AM
    battery pull is the shorthand version to fix it...

the long hand version is to go to media>bb button>explore>go through and delete the bbThumbs.dat files in each folder (for good measure), they're hidden so once you've hit "explore" prolly wanna hit the bb button again and choose "show hidden" so you can see them

also can be done from PC via windows explorer...

and i'd suggest not using roxio unless you absolutely have to, i recommend just using explorer and copy/paste...and i use WMP to sync music to my device, it's just easier, not faster necessarily, but also allows me to use my PC while i'm doing it, vs the roxio that practically freezes the whole damn rig!
    09-13-09 02:47 AM
    LOL...I love it when someone with 4 posts tells someone to do something drastic...lol. It's either a wipe or an OS reload when all that was needed is a battery pull.

Like many posters sigs say...."When in doubt, pull it out." I hope they are referring to the battery at least..lol.
    How is making sure you have the latest os something drastic? Aren't os updates used to fix bugs like these? ...

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-13-09 at 10:31 AM. Reason: content moderation
    09-13-09 10:29 AM
    Does anyone know what causes this issue? I've had a few customers mention this before. Everything was great, and then all a sudden...nothing will play. Weird :/

Let's not hate on a newbie lol

09-13-09 10:35 AM
    OS doesn't fiv this though. Like I said delete the bbThumbs.dat files.

They are the data files that store info about media files, where they are, etc. If the file didn't overwrite properly when you added new media (it should scan the memory card any time you reboot or unplug from a PC)

If you can't find files or they don't play properly first place I'd look would be bbThumbs.dat.

Now if no media played at all, I'd look at the OS. But since its an intermittent experience (they were able to access the files before, only thing that changed was they added more media) then I'd look elsewhere before I suggest reloading the software. However, knowing which version someone is on is important.

09-13-09 12:58 PM
    How is making sure you have the latest os something drastic? Aren't os updates used to fix bugs like these? ...

Because when you are troubleshooting you always do the easiest things first. That's why a battery pull is RIMs recommended first stick. OS upgrade would be well down the list since an OS upgrade would not fix an error on the SD card.
    09-13-09 04:19 PM
    would having content protection enabled cause this ? ?

09-13-09 05:04 PM
    would having content protection enabled cause this ? ?

Possibly. Disable it and see if its fixed?

09-13-09 05:07 PM
    Also, I can't see what devices you all have this problem on, but the .138, and .160, and .169 OS builds for the 8330 all have problems with the profile.cod files where ringtones and custom profile settings sometimes get lost. A battery pull will reset the problem, and is a temporary fix.

A permanent fix is to replace the profile.cod files in your OS with the .131 equivalents.

09-13-09 05:16 PM
    Alright guys I did the battery pull and it works perfectly now...i hope this problem doesnt occur in the future.

Btw, would an SD chip work for memory for my BB?
    09-13-09 11:41 PM
    What OS is on your BB? Options, About, third line down.

As mentioned above, some OS builds are prone to having the loss of ringtones and profiles problem.

Yes, a micro SD memory card is a wise investment for your BB. I recommend a 4GB card or larger.

09-13-09 11:45 PM
    What OS is on your BB? Options, About, third line down.

As mentioned above, some OS builds are prone to having the loss of ringtones and profiles problem.

Yes, a micro SD memory card is a wise investment for your BB. I recommend a 4GB card or larger.

v4.5.0.160 (Platform 3.4.0.41)
    09-13-09 11:55 PM
    That is one of the OS builds known to have the problem you experienced. There is a hybrid OS by blackngray70 that specifically addresses the problems you are having. Look for the .160/.131 hybrid OS for 8330 in the Beta OS discussion forum.

Since you have .160 already on your PC it is easy to convert to the hybrid OS.

09-13-09 11:59 PM
    Here's the link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/hyb...-131-a-242109/

09-14-09 12:00 AM
    Alright guys I did the battery pull and it works perfectly now...i hope this problem doesnt occur in the future.

Btw, would an SD chip work for memory for my BB?
    An SD card is a great investment as storing pic and tones on your device wil reduce your available memory. I keep only the pic I use for the wallpaper on my device, everything else is on the SD Card.

I don't know anything about these "hybrid" OSs so I will refrain from comment on them. I just say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it happens again, then do some research right here on CB.
    09-14-09 12:25 AM
    So it was os related

09-14-09 12:15 PM
    So it was os related

no it was a directory file issue...the battery pull caused the phone to re-scan the media and overwrite the directory file, and everything worked...
    09-14-09 12:42 PM

Although they are probably referring to battery pulls, it's generally a good concept to live by
    09-14-09 01:34 PM
    Although they are probably referring to battery pulls, it's generally a good concept to live by
    LMAO Too funny
    09-14-09 05:59 PM
    Patches152,

That's not what he's saying. The fact that the problem is a known issue on certain versions of the Blackberry OS makes it OS related. You are confusing the cure and the fact that there are no RIM patches to fix it with the problem itself.

To make it easier:
    1. You upgrade to Windows Vista.
    2. Everytime you load pictures off your Camera you can't view them.
    3. Resetting the computer makes you able to view them.

This does not mean that the problem is resetting the computer.

So if someone tells you that if you replace "Photos.dll" in the Windows\System32 directory it will make it so that you no longer have to reset your computer to view the pictures then... It is OS related!

--- Just saying! Though "reload your OS" was kind of drastic for a first round solution.
    09-14-09 07:07 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD