Hey all-

I joined the crackberry forums a few days ago because my husband ordered me a Curve 8330 for Valentines Day. I received it today and am now a little more than overwhelmed. Yes, I did try and search for the answers that I needed, but was having a hard time locating them...

I read the book. I've been trying to read the forums, and I still feel hopelessly lost.

I did manage to get the email set up and it works fine. I can't figure out where the ****-o to put contacts, how to get on the internet, how to add themes, and ringtones...the phone is smarter than me, I swear. I will say that I have a friend who says I will love it when I get used to it, but at this point I wonder if i will.

Help? Please? I want to be a crackberry addict...I really do!
    02-17-09 08:52 PM
    Welcome... Your best bet is to check out this section and also the newbies section at the link up top. It will help you quite a bit.. My first day I read it and it answered all my questions for the most part. I am sure it will help you.

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-17-09 at 09:04 PM.
    02-17-09 08:56 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry! You will figure it out, just keep reading and searching. There are great folks around here that are willing to help with most any problem you might run into. Enjoy your new phone!
    02-17-09 08:58 PM
    JNichole1074... I felt 100% the same way when I got my BB. It is , for me the hardest phone to get use to. Having said that you did the right thing by joining here. These people are great with us newbies, just try to use the search function as much as possible.

For me & my contacts it was very simple because I was already using Outlook on my laptop to store them. The syncing was pretty straight forward.

By the way....Welcome to CB & don't worry ask away!
    02-17-09 08:59 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry! I think a lot of us felt the way you do with our BB's at one time or another. It does get a lot easier with time and you get comfortable in the knowledge that it is not really as easy as it seems to break your new BB. Don't be scared to ask for help or ask questions. Everyone here is willing to help you on your way to the addiction.

No need to stress. It will become like second nature to you in no time ata all!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 09:21 PM
    I came to BlackBerry as an experienced power user of a Treo. And I felt exactly like you do! I couldn't figure out how to do even the most simple things. Fortunately this stage lasts only 10 days and then you're addicted for life! LOL!

02-17-09 09:27 PM
    Well I had looked at alot of the newbie 101 posts when I signed up the other day, before I had this little device in my hands. I found a browser to get on the internet and figured out how to put that on, so that was a start.

I think I am going to stop at the Verizon store tomorrow with this and my old phone and pay the $10 or whatever it is to transfer my numbers over because I have so freaking many of them. Any thoughts on that???

Thanks,

Jess
    02-17-09 09:37 PM
    interesting. for me, i think it was the KNOWLEDGE that it was a smart phone that kinda threw me off initially. but the phones feel to me, to be natural once you get down some of the very basics. i really tried to follow the guide, and i wish i had come here first. i am by no means an expert, but i do feel like the phones intuitively guide you as you use them. i had a pearl for a year, then recently went to a curve, mostly for the screen and keyboard. once you figure out the basics, the rest of the knowledge begins to come through fairly naturally.....i'm glad to be a new member of this community, where people support people in using the best phones ever built!
    02-17-09 09:37 PM
    My cousin had to talk me down a little. He helped talk me through installing an internet browser, he helped me download a desktop (because the one on there was just so boring...), a ringtone....helped me figure out how to at least put it on vibrate and showed me how to add contacts. I just have entirely too many contacts to add!
    02-17-09 10:09 PM
    You won't and can't learn everything in a few day...especially since there are always new thing showing up. Just learn a few things or even just one thing a day. Some things you will become genius at and others you won't use so often. Just read the forums..you'll learn a lot.
    welcome and enjoy...
    02-17-09 10:51 PM
    Hey all-

I joined the crackberry forums a few days ago because my husband ordered me a Curve 8330 for Valentines Day. I received it today and am now a little more than overwhelmed. Yes, I did try and search for the answers that I needed, but was having a hard time locating them...

I read the book. I've been trying to read the forums, and I still feel hopelessly lost.

I did manage to get the email set up and it works fine. I can't figure out where the ****-o to put contacts, how to get on the internet, how to add themes, and ringtones...the phone is smarter than me, I swear. I will say that I have a friend who says I will love it when I get used to it, but at this point I wonder if i will.

Help? Please? I want to be a crackberry addict...I really do!

Start by reading this if you haven't already. You will get there...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...ht=101+lecture
    02-17-09 10:56 PM
    J, the complicated things are easy, and the easy just seems to be hard.

First, remember the magic is in the Blackberry button to the left of your trackball. When you click an icon, the fun is in the menu.

Two, you're gonna make mistakes. We all do.

Three, most of the minor glitches you get can be corrected with a battery pull while your berry is on, waiting about 20 seconds, and letting it reboot.

As for the rest, with a little practice, you will grow to love you new BB.

Welcome to the Crack!

02-17-09 11:05 PM
    And here I am the next morning...posting to the crackberry forum from the crackberry...

02-18-09 05:55 AM
    We got another one! Woo hoo.

Welcome to CB.

Keep on posting.
    02-18-09 06:09 AM
    It took me a week to finally find out how to change my ringtones. I am over the newbie status thank god, I have fallen in love each day I turn it on.
    02-18-09 10:15 AM
    It took me a week to finally find out how to change my ringtones. I am over the newbie status thank god, I have fallen in love each day I turn it on.
    Turn it on. I never turn mine off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-18-09 10:21 AM
    Mine is never off either.

I've had Blackberrys for over a year now and still am learning new things all the time. I think I have a handle on having the device itself work best for me so now I'm moving on to theme and application building.

Welcome you'll love it
    02-18-09 10:57 AM

I think I am going to stop at the Verizon store tomorrow with this and my old phone and pay the $10 or whatever it is to transfer my numbers over because I have so freaking many of them. Any thoughts on that???

Thanks,

Jess
    I can't imagine that they will charge you the $10. When we got new phones in December they didn't--and I don't think they ever have before. However, if they insist, I do think I would. Much easier.

You will love your phone! We have had ours almost 2 months. I would cry if I had to give it up!
    02-18-09 11:25 AM
    dont worry i felt like that a couple of months ago youll get through it
    02-18-09 11:53 AM
    They didn't charge anything to transfer the numbers over for me. I remember the last time I got a new phone and asked about it, they did charge for it. So that was good.

The guy at the Verizon store was really nice and helpful. He transferred my numbers and then brought my phone over, but was looking at it....apparently I had a billion applications open....because I didn't shut them down properly. So he showed me how to do that and then printed out a handful of pages of helpful tips and links to free softwares and ringtones and stuff. So yeah....I'm doing better.
    02-18-09 07:21 PM
    Yeah, a billion open apps will suck the life right out of a BlackBerry! LOL. So� you now close them using MenuKey > Close rather than just using the "back" button, right? :-) See, you're already getting it!

02-18-09 07:42 PM
    I just got my curve a few days ago, Much harder to get used to than the treo 800 I had previously and the Moto Q9c
    02-18-09 07:48 PM
    Yeah, a billion open apps will suck the life right out of a BlackBerry! LOL. So� you now close them using MenuKey > Close rather than just using the "back" button, right?
    Ok, this brings up a (dumb) question. How do you tell what apps are open? How could the guy look @ the phone and tell? (See, I told you it was dumb!)

02-18-09 08:01 PM
    ^^ ALT+BackKey. That would be the little curved button to the right of the trackball - you know, the one you *used* to use to close your apps LOL.

Or MenuKey > Switch Application

Then scroll the trackball side to side to see the open apps. Four never close: Phone, Browser, BBM, Home Screen

Last edited by jbeachy; 02-18-09 at 09:33 PM.
    02-18-09 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD