This all worked on my 8800 and I thought I'd post this in the 'Tips & How Tos' but I don't have permission so...

Environment

* BlackBerry� 7130 Series
    * BlackBerry� 7200 Series
    * BlackBerry� 8100 Series
    * BlackBerry� 8300 Series
    * BlackBerry� 8700 Series
    * BlackBerry� 8800 smartphone
    * BlackBerry� Desktop Software 4.1 and later
    * Microsoft� Windows� 2000 and XP

Note: Research In Motion (RIM) provides some support for the tethered modem; the installation of the Standard Modem Driver is supported. See KB05178 for more details about support for the tethered modem.

Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem.

Procedure

A BlackBerry smartphone with tethered modem capabilities can be used as an external modem to connect a computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later (one time only).
    2. Set up the Internet access point name (APN) (one time only).
    3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only).
    4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Task 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2

Set up an Internet APN.

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. Click Change Settings.
    6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile� customers only:

The extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
    8. Click OK.
    9. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:

Microsoft Windows Vista

Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options

If you are opening Phone and Modem Options for the first time, a dialog box displays prompting you to enter an area code and access codes.

Windows XP operating system

1. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.

Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:

Under the networking tab in the properties window for the dial-up connection, clear the Enable LCP Extensions check box, as well as every other box beneath the PPP window.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry� Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.

Last edited by Adlen; 02-04-08 at 04:11 PM.
    02-04-08 04:08 PM
    This all worked on my 8800
    Very helpful.

I figured this out on my own with a LOT of trial and error awhile back. This should be really valuable to those who want to get their BB to serve as a modem when they don't have alternative access to the Internet.
    02-05-08 04:23 AM
    I use it when I'm on the road with my laptop. Hotels charge for internet access sooo...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-08 06:29 AM
    adlen, thank u so much. this was extremely helpful. didnt realize it was that easy awesome
    02-07-08 05:30 PM
    When trying to tether, I am getting this error message after Verifying Username and Password:

The PPP link control protocol was terminated.

This used to work fine. What happened?
    03-07-08 08:49 PM
    I have AT&T, I'm guessing they'll charge extra for me to do this? Plus I'm out of the country.

03-08-08 06:55 AM
    i need this for Vista.
    04-17-08 09:08 AM
    i need this for Vista.
    BB Drivers don't support tethering with Vista yet. Known issue.

Edit:
    Sorry, I should be specific... they don't consistently work with Vista, and bluetooth tethering with Vista does not work, and is a known issue.
    Last edited by ssadowski; 04-17-08 at 10:23 AM.
    04-17-08 10:14 AM
    When trying to tether, I am getting this error message after Verifying Username and Password:

The PPP link control protocol was terminated.

This used to work fine. What happened?
    I'm having the same issue, did you get this resolved. It use to work fine.
    04-18-08 12:53 PM
    Well, they do charge more for their plans that include tethering, but how are they going to know? I could understand if you were doing huge amounts of data transfer, but the "unlimited" plans allow you 5GB of data use. Unless you exceeded that limit...

Maybe someone else can chime in here?

I have AT&T, I'm guessing they'll charge extra for me to do this? Plus I'm out of the country.

04-18-08 01:42 PM
    I have AT&T and called to ask. They charge an additional $30 a month for tethering. It is a $60 rate plan, but with the BB we are already paying for a $30 plan so it is just an additional $30. We went ahead and signed up, I"m not sure if they would know if we didn't.

To use an aircard it is a 2 year contract and and additional $60 a month. Tethering was cheaper and the better deal for us.
    04-19-08 06:22 PM
    I've done everything you say and when I try to connect the connection keeps failing giving error 628, the modem is not responding. I diagnosed the modem and it is communicating with the laptop. What can I be doing wrong?
    07-28-08 12:06 PM
    Awesome, good write up! I have T-Mobile with the unlimited data plan with email and such and this works perfectly with it. I have the 8800 smartphone and also am using Vista Home Premium with my laptop and everything works perfectly. Im going to call and make sure that I am not going to be charged for this.

EDIT: I called T-Mobile and I have the unlimited internet and email for $19.99 a month. This is truley "unlimited" and I made sure that If there was not going to be an excess charge if I went over say 5GB and they double checked and told me that it is truley unlimited. This plan includes internet, email, instant messeging, all that good stuff. Also when I got the plan I got an automated sms with my login info and password to use for tethering or a tom tom or gps device .
    Last edited by jmannumber7; 07-28-08 at 07:42 PM.
    07-28-08 07:31 PM
    BB Drivers don't support tethering with Vista yet. Known issue.

Edit:
    Sorry, I should be specific... they don't consistently work with Vista, and bluetooth tethering with Vista does not work, and is a known issue.

I was Tethering my Telus BB 8330 2 days ago on Vista-64bit just fine.
    it pritty much sets itself up too, you just enter your connection number, for Telus its #777 and bingo , your tethering
    07-28-08 08:45 PM
    I'm trying to tether my BB Curve 8320, it connects to the modem. Everything says that I'm online but when I try to log online I get a error window Internet Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution. Can any body help me out. I'm running windows vista. Any help or suggestion are welcome just email me.
    03-28-09 12:15 AM
    Anyone got this working on a Verizon Storm?
    03-28-09 08:36 PM
    I have read through all the posts on this topic and still cant seem to get it to work.

I have entered the username and password as 'web'

I am a t-mobile uk customer and have been on the website and read this blurb

Already a T-Mobile pay monthly customer? You can add Mobile Broadband Plus to your account and use your phone as an enabled device like a USB modem. If your pay monthly plan already includes web'nwalk, Mobile Broadband Plus will be �5.00 extra a month and if you don't, it will be �12.50 extra a month. Mobile Broadband Plus will stay on your account until you ask us to remove it. You'll need a compatible laptop, compatible phone and mobile broadband coverage. Remember that you can't use your plan to make internet phone calls. If you use your plan outside of the UK, we'll add roaming charges to your pay monthly account, please see t-mobile.co.uk//broadband for more details. This plan comes with a fair use policy of 3GB a month. We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our Mobile Broadband customers. If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use your plan, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much.

has any one who is a t-mobile uk customer got it to work without having to pay the additional cost of this?

I am at my wits end I hope someone may have the answer i am desperatley seeking.

I am running vista BTW.

thanks for your time all

Jono
    03-31-09 06:11 PM
    Make sure you have BB Desktop manager open before you try to connect. If it is not open, you will get the modem error.

04-01-09 12:35 AM
    Thanks for the advice....

I have the DM window open and all goes accordingly it says that it is registering my pc on the network and then it says unsucessful. The data transfer arrow comes up in the top right hand corner of the blackberry so the two devices are obviously communicating with each other.

IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Its a BB Bold that im using does this change the process in any way?
    04-01-09 10:05 AM
  20. blackberrycurveinmississippi's Avatar
    Has anyone been successful with tethering their 8330 with Cellular South?
    If so, what is the APN for Cellular South?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by blackberrycurveinmississippi; 08-23-09 at 11:42 AM.
    04-24-09 06:21 PM
    I'm having the same issue, did you get this resolved. It use to work fine.
    wow same here
    05-10-09 02:56 AM
    Does anyone have any idea what additional costs would be incurred by using tethering on sprint? We've got 2 blackberry curve 8330s and the unlimited everything except minutes which we have 1500 of. Thanks!

05-10-09 04:21 PM
    I've done everything you say and when I try to connect the connection keeps failing giving error 628, the modem is not responding. I diagnosed the modem and it is communicating with the laptop. What can I be doing wrong?
    Hi. I'm receiving the same error (628) that you mentioned in the tethering thread. Did you manage to resolve that issue? If so, would you be so kind as to share the solution?

Blackberry 8320
    Windows XP
    Error appears when dialing.

Thanks all.
    06-18-09 02:51 PM
    i am running Windows 7 OS ... can someone show me how to do on Windows 7 please?
    01-06-10 07:28 PM
    I'm open to any recommendations anyone has on how to go about remedying this problem. And by any recommendatinos, I mean that solving my specific problem with my specific setup is desirable. However, if abandoning it and upgrading my phone is a better option, I'd be open to recommendations of models that have been known to work well with Vista. Furthermore, I'd be open to any recommendations at all. I really value being able to pay one phone bill and be able to use that same data plan with my PC anywhere I have coverage.

First some instructions I have been looking at and have tried:

<removed because I haven't posted enough>

The Problem in a nutshell:
    On a clean install of Vista which I got imaged from the company I work for, I did the steps below. Tethering via Bluetooth worked fine. Then it stopped, and I don't know why.

Possible ways to persue the solution:
    T-Mobile: (they are probably not at fault as others are able to tether)
    Vista: Perhaps my work image is non-standard in some way? I have another laptop with Vista which I could test...
    Blackberry 8320 Curve: 2nd replacement (3rd phone) from assurion.

What I have done so far:

• I have had various of my 3 Blackberry 8320 Curves working with tethering in the following configurations:

• Linux (USB)
    • Windows XP (USB and Bluetooth using the Blackberry desktop)
    • Vista (Bluetooth using only Vista's support)
    • I've had 3 Blackberries because I lost the first two. So this is my third and final one having been replaced by Assurion. :-)

26. Last night, I did the following using Windows Vista and my Blackberry:

27. - downloaded and installed the latest Blackberry Desktop software, v5.0.1
  28. - used Blackberry Device manager to connect to Blackberry 8320 Curve, and verify that the blackberry showed a bluetooth connection while the device manager told me it was connected.
  29. - Started Desktop which refuses to connect via Bluetooth, telling me "Before you Begin, verify that your Blackberry device is connected to your computer."
  30. - Close both the device manager and the Blackberry desktop and rebooted.
  31. - set up the Blackberry as a Bluetooth modem in Windows Vista with the following settings, and setup a dialup connection with the following settings:

32. Phone and Modem Options > Modems tab > (my modem) > Advanced Tab > Extra Initialization commands:
  33. +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
  • Dialup connection (following are all changes, everything else set to default)
  • General tab:
  • Dial *99#
  • In "connect using" only check the bluetooth modem corresponding to my blackberry
  • configure:
  • Maximum speed (highest possible which is 921600. Of course the actual connection wont' be this fast, but want to ensure communications between computer and phone are not hindered)
  • Don't check any boxes here.
  • - Started the connection and it worked just fine! Did this a few more times to make sure.
  • - rebooted machine, pulled battery, and tried again and it still worked.
  • - Then it just stopped working and hasn't worked since. Behavior now is:
  • Dialing *99#
  • Verifying Username And Password
  • Registering your computer on the network (less than a second)
  • Failed to connect to Blackberry
  • And in the log (Phone and Modem Options > Modems tab > (my modem) > View Log ) I see the following just before and after the failure:
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.318 - After waiting 20ms CD is still low.
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.349 - CD never went high, Proceeding with connection.
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.349 - Connection established at 921600bps.
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.349 - Error-control off or unknown.
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.349 - Data compression off or unknown.
    04-04-2010 02:40:27.349 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_CONNECTED
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.301 - TSP(0000): Dropping Call
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.301 - Hanging up the modem.
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.316 - Send: ATH0<cr>
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Interpreted response: OK
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_DISCONNECTED(0x1)
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_IDLE
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x00010200) Status 0x00000000
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP(0000): Dropping Call
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x000102bb) Status 0x00000000
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - TSP(0000): Closing Call
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Session Statistics:
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Reads : 30 bytes
    04-04-2010 02:40:28.426 - Writes: 63 bytes

• Complete log here:
  • <removed as I haven't posted enough>
  • Unfortunately, I do not have an example of a log from when it was working.
  • Since then I have tried several APNs in the Extra Initialization Commands for the modem which I found in the article linked to above on t-mobile's site.

• The phone has always had wap.voicestream.com as the APN with blank username and password in Options > Advanced Settings > TCP.
  • 04-04-10 03:05 AM
    Like 0
    LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD