I'm also of the opinion that if you only want one because others have it, then you don't need it. I love my curve, but if it weren't for my career, I wouldn't have got it. If it was my child, I would also say no, sorry to say. If you really want one, get a part time job and get one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 08:53 PM
    Get a job buddy

06-23-08 08:55 PM
    Get a work study on campus.
    06-23-08 09:11 PM
    I didn't say they should help him... I agree if he *can't* pay for it himself, then no, he shouldn't get it. But if he is planning on paying for it by himself, then I don't see why his parents should have any say in whether or not he gets it.

Also, I didn't see him say that he only wants it because other people have it. If that's the reason he wants it.. Then I take back what I said, as I am very opposed to doing something because it's "trendy".
    06-23-08 09:13 PM
    True, but this isn't a baby. This is a grown, going to college adult. He want's it because, everyone else on the train has one (his words) and make him feel bad that he doesn't. All the justification in the world should not mean his parents need to pay to fix his bruised and wounded ego.

Also, if he does not know why he needs it, how on earth are we supposed to.
    *** spoken as if we were twins!
    *** get a part-time job... give instead of receiving!
    06-23-08 09:21 PM
    I guess you can tell them it will improve your image... thus making you more attractive to the opposite sex. You will then have better odds of meeting a potential spouse, and lessen the odds of moving back home with your parents.
    He may need his parents for this too.

I have a problem with a grown man asking for his parents to pay for his luxury; a luxury he "who is in college," cant find the words to convey- to HIS parents; not OURS!

My niece graduates college next year. She rec'd a full 4 year scholarship and overall is just an outstanding human being. Her grades are impeccable!! She doesnt miss classes, takes care of her son AND has a part time job. For those reasons alone, when she needs or WANTS something, she's got it!!!
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 06-23-08 at 09:45 PM.
    06-23-08 09:33 PM
    I say job too. I worked 54 hours a week and took 18 and 19 credits my last sememster. If there is a blackberry there is way. Lol.

06-23-08 09:57 PM
    Haha, thanks for all these posts. I am reading them and kind of laughing to myself because I really didnt make my thoughts clear. Last semester I used my Q and it REALLY helped me keep organized with all my classes, meetings, and homeworks. and my parents know this. So it is more of an issue as to why I would upgrade.

I do not want a blackberry because everyone else has them, but seeing everyone with them reminds me how badly I want one. I see so many kids, even adults, who do not know how to use these devices and in my opinion do not "deserve" them from a technical point of view and it makes me cringe. I have 50 posts on this forum and have helped people out, while I do not even own, nor have I ever owned a blackberry. I just love new tech.

To all who say I should get a job, I have had a bunch. I do not mind upfront costs like buying the phone, but monthly payments really erk me. Guess I should have not played WOW for those few months
    06-23-08 10:01 PM
    Why would the monthly payments erk you if you really want and need this device? I think every extra cent I pay for my berry is worth it.

06-23-08 10:04 PM
    Get a job, get a berry, get a data plan.
    06-23-08 10:09 PM
    I played WoW for 3 years lol... I paid for it myself. Now it just seems boring as crap.
    Last edited by Skormm; 06-23-08 at 10:11 PM.
    06-23-08 10:09 PM
    Unfortunately sometimes sacrifices are required. If you want the BB then maybe dropping WOW for a while would help.

06-23-08 10:10 PM
    To give you an idea of what I am thinking of for reasons to get a blackberry:
    -I am thinking of uploading everything I do to google docs and with a blackberry I can access it anywhere
    -I have the same scheduling and calendar that I have on my Q
    -Sync calendar with Google Calendar and Outlook, so I always have my appointments (although no tasks, DAMN GOOGLE!)
    -I have instant email (although I rarely get time sensitive email)

any others?

Why would the monthly payments erk you if you really want and need this device? I think every extra cent I pay for my berry is worth it.
    Recurring payments are bad because, I know I have the money to pay for it right now but who knows that the future will bring.
    06-23-08 10:11 PM
    if you are going to buy one, buy one without GPS, might be able to save some coin... dont get the $30 plan, get the $15 or something...
    try to negotiate a deal with the customer service of verizon lol
    06-23-08 10:12 PM
    .....I do not mind upfront costs like buying the phone, but monthly payments really erk me. Guess I should have not played WOW for those few months
    So you dont consider paying for data an "upfront cost?" If monthly payments for a cell phone "erk" you, I'd hate like h3ll to see how you'd handle a mortgage. Cry Baby?
    06-23-08 10:13 PM
    To give you an idea of what I am thinking of for reasons to get a blackberry:
    -I am thinking of uploading everything I do to google docs and with a blackberry I can access it anywhere
    -I have the same scheduling and calendar that I have on my Q
    -Sync calendar with Google Calendar and Outlook, so I always have my appointments (although no tasks, DAMN GOOGLE!)
    -I have instant email (although I rarely get time sensitive email)

any others?

Recurring payments are bad because, I know I have the money to pay for it right now but who knows that the future will bring.
    If this is the case, then why are you trying to trick your parents into paying it for you?
    06-23-08 10:14 PM
    Yea that's one thing about monthly payments... I'm only 18 so I don't really have much job security to speak of, if I get fired or "let go" I'm boned. I definitely don't have seniority over anyone! lol.
    06-23-08 10:16 PM
    No job security = no blackberry

IMHO... Bills are part of being a grown up. Not trying to sound harsh, but if you're not ready to commit to honouring your end of a contract (ie- your promise to pay,) you shouldn't have a blackberry. Sounds like prepaid is more of the route you should follow.

06-23-08 10:22 PM
    So you dont consider paying for data an "upfront cost?" If monthly payments for a cell phone "erk" you, I'd hate like h3ll to see how you'd handle a mortgage. Cry Baby?
    Could not have said it better. And I tried

If you can't make it work, let it go until YOU can.
    And I'm curious, how much is your parents paying
    to put you through school? Give 'em a break.
    Get a job or get over the envy.
    06-23-08 10:24 PM
    No job security = no blackberry

IMHO... Bills are part of being a grown up. Not trying to sound harsh, but if you're not ready to commit to honouring your end of a contract (ie- your promise to pay,) you shouldn't have a blackberry. Sounds like prepaid is more of the route you should follow.

Maybe his parents will have to pay for that too.
    06-23-08 10:24 PM
    1. If you need to research something it will save you a lot of time because you can find info via the BlackBerry instead of having to trek all the way to the school library or back to your dorm to use the computer, if you have a laptop then this will just help you save time because you won't have to find a place to sit down and take it out, wait for it to boot up, shut it down, and pack it back up again, over the course of a month you could save hours!

2. When you're paying more money for something you tend to take better care of it.

3. You will always have access to email in case you have an emergency question to ask a professor classmate, you can store email addresses and phone numbers.

4. If you are going somewhere that you can't take your laptop (if you have one) then you can still take your BlackBerry, a BlackBerry can go anywhere a phone can go, anywhere you can get am EDGE/EV-DO signal, you can access the internet. (I think VZW uses EV-DO.)

Hope these help, it's all I could think of at the moment.
    This post, so far has really been the only one with a response along the lines of what I am looking for. Thank you Skormm
    06-23-08 10:26 PM
    My parents make a lot of money and they have the exact same feeling about recurring payments. I guess that is where I get it from
    06-23-08 10:27 PM
    This post, so far has really been the only one with a response along the lines of what I am looking for. Thank you Skormm
    Because it helps you leech off your folks?
    06-23-08 10:28 PM
    Because it helps you leech off your folks?
    Exactly AG!! And those are going to continue to be the only type of post he's interested in reading.
    06-23-08 10:30 PM
    Lol I have an internship this summer in NYC which is part of the reason I want it, for the 1.5hr commute. And every blackberry user I see on the train rubs it in my face that I dont have one lol

maybe your imagining that Lol, I have lived in nyc for over 20+ years, and people on the train pretty much stay to themselves unless there is a crazy person on board making weird statements. But your right though, sometimes you have a few people who have something new and want to showoff.

I remember once a guy had some portable dvd player. he was truly showing off..... until some dude grabbed it and ran off the train as the doors were closing.
    06-23-08 10:35 PM
455 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD