I am a college student and I currently have a Moto Q without data. My parents are saying how its a complete waste of money to spend the $30 extra on the data plus the cost of the phone. Any tips on how I can justify this to them and maybe even get them to pay for part of it
    06-23-08 06:49 PM
    Say you need the berry's email fuctions for school.
    06-23-08 06:54 PM
    If you can't justify it yourself, then your parents are right.
    06-23-08 06:55 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    06-23-08 06:58 PM
    hmm i say tell them that the Phone will help you in school as you can use it for many different things such as GPS funtion for navigating the large school campus...Email so your always connected...if you take any online courses you can tie that in with validating the reason for needing to have your email at all times... and tell them youll sell the Moto Q on ebay and give them that money back to help reimburse them with the upfront cost of the phone plus maybe pay for the additional data yourself so thats one less objective!
    06-23-08 06:58 PM
    I'm with avt123 -- if you can't even justify it to yourself, your parents are absolutely correct and the money is better spent elsewhere, saved, or invested. Go get yourself a part-time job to pay for the Curve and the monthly plan, then you don't have to rely on your parents approving your vanity purchase.

Just my $0.02.
    06-23-08 07:03 PM
    I guess you can tell them it will improve your image... thus making you more attractive to the opposite sex. You will then have better odds of meeting a potential spouse, and lessen the odds of moving back home with your parents.
    06-23-08 07:03 PM
    I guess you can tell them it will improve your image... thus making you more attractive to the opposite sex. You will then have better odds of meeting a potential spouse, and lessen the odds of moving back home with your parents.
    LMFAO!!!!
    06-23-08 07:12 PM
    say you can use it as a modem for your laptop ...
    you need to have your multiple email accounts combined into one simple &convient place = phone
    accidental usage of data = bigger bill in the long run...better just to pay to have it

i dunno i just got my parents to buy it as an xmas present for me
    06-23-08 07:19 PM
    Exactly right.
    They are obviously willing to pay for what you need,
    don't make them have to pay for what you just want.
    06-23-08 07:25 PM
    Thee words.

Part

Time

Job

Sorry man. Welcome to the real world. Bundle up. It gets kinds cold out here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 07:30 PM
    Yup! A part time job will do the trick and you'll get real world experience.

06-23-08 07:50 PM
    Lol I have an internship this summer in NYC which is part of the reason I want it, for the 1.5hr commute. And every blackberry user I see on the train rubs it in my face that I dont have one lol
    06-23-08 07:55 PM
    In the words of Erykah Badu:

"I dont walk around trying to be what I'm not
    I dont waste my time trying to get what you got"

Put it on a Post-It note and tape it to your front door
    06-23-08 08:03 PM
    Your parents are right, you don't need it. I went through college just fine, and didn't even have a cell phone. If you want it bad enough, justify it to yourself and pick up a PT job to pay for it yourself.
    06-23-08 08:04 PM
    Come up with detailed reasons as to why you want one and why your Q isn't good enough. Then present them to your parents in a clear and organized fashion. That's it.
    06-23-08 08:09 PM
    if you get one with Wifi, on campus it should save plan minutes by routing calls through days instead of eating up voice minutes. You can organize your time better and keep track of necessary emails. You can also tether a laptop saving internet costs. Those are some good reasons. Now from a parent's perspective, try picking up a part time job and offer to cover the days plan. To show responsiblity. That will help a lot.

06-23-08 08:23 PM
    Edit from above, sorry I meant data. My Pearl is having an attitude. : /

06-23-08 08:24 PM
    1. If you need to research something it will save you a lot of time because you can find info via the BlackBerry instead of having to trek all the way to the school library or back to your dorm to use the computer, if you have a laptop then this will just help you save time because you won't have to find a place to sit down and take it out, wait for it to boot up, shut it down, and pack it back up again, over the course of a month you could save hours!

2. When you're paying more money for something you tend to take better care of it.

3. You will always have access to email in case you have an emergency question to ask a professor classmate, you can store email addresses and phone numbers.

4. If you are going somewhere that you can't take your laptop (if you have one) then you can still take your BlackBerry, a BlackBerry can go anywhere a phone can go, anywhere you can get am EDGE/EV-DO signal, you can access the internet. (I think VZW uses EV-DO.)

Hope these help, it's all I could think of at the moment.

p.s. To the people who are saying, if he doesn't know why he needs it, he doesn't need it. A baby doesn't *know* why it needs to breathe, that doesn't mean it should stop breathing. Just because he doesn't know why he needs it doesn't mean that it won't help him... I'm sure there are *tons* of reasons for him to have it, just reasons that haven't occurred to him because he is under pressure.
    Last edited by Skormm; 06-23-08 at 08:29 PM.
    06-23-08 08:27 PM
    Also, I just noticed where you said "hopefully help pay for it" which implies that you would be surprised if they did, so clearly you aren't expecting them to. I'm curious as to why they have any business telling you what to spend your money on if you're going to college and I assume working a part-time job if you have your own money.
    06-23-08 08:31 PM
    Start brown-bagging your lunch and lay off the lattes. That's an easy $30 bucks that you can put towards your BB plan.
    06-23-08 08:31 PM
    Start brown-bagging your lunch and lay off the lattes. That's an easy $30 bucks that you can put towards your BB plan.
    If he does buy daily coffee from Starbucks, I know that's like $2-$4 a day! If he skips that coffee for just 8 days out of the month, that's $30 right there!
    06-23-08 08:33 PM
    p.s. To the people who are saying, if he doesn't know why he needs it, he doesn't need it. A baby doesn't *know* why it needs to breathe, that doesn't mean it should stop breathing. Just because he doesn't know why he needs it doesn't mean that it won't help him... I'm sure there are *tons* of reasons for him to have it, just reasons that haven't occurred to him because he is under pressure.
    True, but this isn't a baby. This is a grown, going to college adult. He want's it because, everyone else on the train has one (his words) and make him feel bad that he doesn't. All the justification in the world should not mean his parents need to pay to fix his bruised and wounded ego.

Also, if he does not know why he needs it, how on earth are we supposed to.
    06-23-08 08:36 PM
    True, but this isn't a baby. This is a grown, going to college adult. He want's it because, everyone else on the train has one (his words) and make him feel bad that he doesn't. All the justification in the world should not mean his parents need to pay to fix his bruised and wounded ego.

Also, if he does not know why he needs it, how on earth are we supposed to.
    agreed...like usual...
    06-23-08 08:37 PM
    ahh ive had this conversation with my parents...

at first my mom refused to spend 30 a month extra for data when i "didn't need it"

i weasled a way into it. i told her i need it for college for email and everything else and its a good way to stay connected to her due to bbm cause she has a bb also...

and i got one as a gift for graduation from hs from my aunt and shes paying my data costs for a year...so that was perfect.

now i have one

tell her u need it for email for college and to save notes like homework so you don't forget it and you can look things up from whereever you are from internet.
    06-23-08 08:47 PM
455 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD