My wife and I just got new phones and a new two year service plan. I got the BB and she got a Delve. She hates it and I wondered if there was any way I could get her a blackberry without having to pay full price through the carrier. Then if I can, how do I turn it on, etc.? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 08:38 AM
    FIrst off make sure the device you looking at will work on VZW.

When you fond one, check the sellers record of selling, I call it their report card. Then ask the seller for the ESN or MEID number. If they refuse to provide it, stay away, if they do then call VZW with it and make sure it clean, not lost or stolen.

When you get the device and it is clean, call VZW had they can activate for you.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-01-09 at 08:53 AM.
    03-01-09 08:51 AM
    Sweet! Are there other options of buying a phone? Will my carrier get mad if I buy a phone somewhere else? What about blackberries at wal mart? Will they come with what I need? Do yo know if her plan will be exactly the same or if their are extra fees for doing this?

03-01-09 09:00 AM
    If you get one wal-mart again make sure it will work on her carrier. Whi is her carrier. I speak for VZW, if she goes to a BB she will need the data plan. Also since I do not know what plan she is on now, I cannot answer if her plan will need to change or not.
    03-01-09 09:15 AM
    She is currently on a data plan. The delve phone is a smart phone too. Basically she just wants a blackberry and I am trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest way to do it. I really

03-01-09 09:22 AM
    Then Again delve does not familier to me, as to being a VZW phone. As for the BB, it is cheaper to get it online for the most part. If you are getting used one, even if the ESN is clear this is always a risk (buyer beware). If it is a new one then chances are better that it will work okay
    03-01-09 09:30 AM
    You say you just got them. If it is still within your grace period (14-30 days depending where you live) just take it back and get the Blackberry.
    03-01-09 09:40 AM
    It is beyond our grace period she may just have to wait two years lol

03-01-09 09:43 AM
    If you buy the phone from another source other than your carrier grace period does not matter. you can add a device anytime you like.
    03-01-09 09:48 AM
    Yeah, I bought mine over Craigslist..... I made sure that the seller gave me the ESN to check and see if the BB had a balance on it. Sprint checked that it was clear and I bought it. Just make sure that you explain to them that you are trying to purchase a phone over eBay or something like that, and you want to make sure that you will not throw you money away...... most of the time they are willing to help......
    03-01-09 10:35 AM
    You can buy a blackberry on ebay for about 250$. Then you can sell the delve on ebay for I'm sure about 200$. Then your only out roughly 50$.

03-01-09 10:42 AM
    Yeah I would def check out eBay and Craigslist.org. You may be able to find someone right in your town and they may even want to trade straight up. Just make sure you have checked the ESN before purchase.

03-01-09 10:59 AM
    You can activate your BB online at verizonwireless.com if you sign up for a free account. Just click on the activate my phone link. The Verizon system will know the phone is a Blackberry by the ESN and will prompt you to add the data plan automatically.

If you buy a phone from eBay, you can even buy a warranty for it through squaretrade.com (1 or 2 year warranties available) for far less than insurance through the carrier on their equipment.

No one has mentioned the 2nd most important thing about buying a phone through eBay. The first is the ESN must be clean/clear, and the second is always pay using PayPal because you will have some recourse should the Blackberry phone you receive have problems either with activation, or hardware defects that weren't mentioned in the item description. You can get full refunds including shipping charges, refunds without shipping charges, and partial refunds depending on the situation and the willingness of the seller to work out a solution with you. However the seller is usually pretty motivated if their PayPal account is frozen by Paypal during the dispute resolution.
    Last edited by xliderider; 03-01-09 at 01:31 PM.
    03-01-09 01:26 PM
    I got my curve online at $200 used its in great condition. I love ebay and use it more than often. So one piece of advice I would give you is try not to go with a phone from a powerseller or someone who doesn't have pictures and uses ratings such as fair good and average instead. I got mine from a seller with not much feedback but had good pictures and good explanation. Read the whole listing. Also remember that they are legally bonded to provide true information and if you have paypal it will cover you . Make sure you educate yourself with ebay and paypal policies before buying.
    03-01-09 01:34 PM
    I honestly recommend craigslist and do a face to face meeting to get the phone. I have done 3 interactions like that and you can activate the phone on the spot and pretty much avoid any surprises with the deal. You get to look and the phone and even play with it before paying your money. You can meet in a public place to avoid any uncertainty you might have about meeting with a stranger. You play, activate, pay, and go on your way.

With ebay you might get a faulty phone, you might get a used ESN, and shipping is another process. Go the craigslist route imho.

03-01-09 03:20 PM
    I would also have to recommend activating online. If you call or go in the store it costs $20 . But if it does. Make sure you tell them over the phone or in the store that you tried online and they will wave the fee
    03-01-09 03:43 PM
    I would also have to recommend activating online. If you call or go in the store it costs $20 . But if it does. Make sure you tell them over the phone or in the store that you tried online and they will wave the fee
    I believe they meant if you can't activate the BB online then call or go in to a store and they'll waive the activation fee as long as you tell them the online activation didn't work.

03-01-09 06:27 PM
    No one has mentioned the 2nd most important thing about buying a phone through eBay. The first is the ESN must be clean/clear.....
    I mentioned that previously in the post right above yours....

If you purchase a used Phone in general, you must always check the ESN. How are you to know if someone didn't just drop their plan and go with another service provider..... If the phone is free and clear..... you can always activate. Just make sure that the ESN is the same as the one that they give you when you pick up the phone...... if they are the same you can activate at a later time.......
    03-01-09 07:05 PM
    You make sure they have a good feedback, you thoroughly read the whole description, then you sign up for paypal, conect it to your bank account,(paypal is the most secure way of online payment in the world) and tada!
    03-01-09 07:17 PM
    I mentioned that previously in the post right above yours....
    I know, I just repeated it for clarification. My first most important thing about buying on eBay might have been different than what you said previously. I was trying to avoid confusion.

I wasn't trying to negate what you had previously posted. ;o)

03-01-09 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD