I'm on att and upgraded like 6 months ago from a razr to a bb8300. I was able to keep my $20/month unlimited data and 200 txts. I contacted sales to see if a BIS plan would be faster and they said it was the same and I'm lucky b/c I'm not supposed to be able to have that plan. I've had random internet connection issues and today I finally decided to contact support to see if there is anything I can do(I randomly completely lose internet with full signal while stationary). The lady I talked to said that my connection was unstable b/c I don't have a bb plan.
    AFAIK, internet connection is handled completely by att and all BB services just connect to BB services and traffic runs through my ATT connection. I tested my connection thru a computer and when the internet goes down, I can't ping the DNS servers or anything.
    Am I way off here or what?
    (PS I don't really care about the bb services or I wouldve gotten a bb plan to begin with)
    06-26-08 06:05 PM
    Anyone know how this works?
    06-27-08 09:13 AM
    You need to contact att and just tell them you want the BB data plan... That's all, then you'll be able to set up e-mail on your BB or on att's BIS page... Post back if you have anymore questions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-08 09:16 AM
    A picture is worth a thousand words:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

The first picture is BES+MDS. The second pic is what you have, BIS. Click for a bigger view.

The connection between your phone and the towers belongs to AT&T. The connection between the tower and the BIS box belongs to AT&T.

The BIS box is either owned by or rented by AT&T, it depends on how they set it up. The connection from the box to the internet cloud will be AT&T if they own their own BIS box, or RIM if they rent it from RIM.

--Qfg
    06-27-08 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the info. I didn't realise there was blackberry hardware on att's network. I thought it was all handled over the internet and therefore just an extra step to the web.

I called support to try one more time before giving in and paying for a BlackBerry plan. The guy had me pull the battery and he said he' change the tower I'm using and it'd probably resolve the issue(apparently data and voice use seperate towers). He also said he'd push some updates to the phone. I thought he was just feeding me some BS, but whatever he did changed my ip from a 192.168.x.x to 10.x.x.x

Connection seems a bit faster and I haven't lost it yet.
    06-28-08 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD