I have a new BB 8310. Is there any way to turn on the phone and not the email? I plan to travel in Europe soon where the KB rates are rediculous. I get about 50 pieces of email a day and would like to travel with my BB off until I need to make a call. Problem is that when I turn on the BB, it goes to download the email and after several days of being off, I don't want to pay European rates to download several hundred emails that I will kill. I can download email cheaper from other places while traveling, so my question is: Can the BB 8310 be set to not download email when first turned on but only when manually requested and if so, how do you do it?
    07-18-08 01:57 PM
    Easiest way is to logon to your blackberry email account and turn off the email forwarding your email addresses, then when you return you turn the forwarding back on. At least that's how I handled it in a similar situation...but I'm sure you'll get about 1000 ways to solve this issue. Just wait.....
    07-18-08 02:02 PM
    Not sure if this is the best or not but if you are on a BIS you can delete the accounts before you leave and then add them again when you return. Its not too hard and then you don't have to worry when you are abroad. If you are on a BES then you would have to ask your admin to set it up for you.
    07-18-08 02:03 PM
    Options, mobile network, data connections off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 02:04 PM
    Is there any way to turn on the phone and not the email?
    I like to turn down the lights, play some latin music, pour some wine, grab her in my hands, caress her keys, hold her close and then whisper softly into her ..........

Whoa! Time for a smoke.
    07-18-08 02:13 PM
    I see in the profiles. (Where you can set it to vib. Etc). There is an option for Phone only. Might give that a try.

But I agree just delete the accouints from your phone (if bis) then add when you get back. That way you will be 100% sure ther will be no data charges from e-mail.

But Options, mobile network, data connections off. Seem to be the easiest.
    =8')

07-18-08 02:15 PM
    Not sure if this is the best or not but if you are on a BIS you can delete the accounts before you leave and then add them again when you return. Its not too hard and then you don't have to worry when you are abroad. If you are on a BES then you would have to ask your admin to set it up for you.
    Problem with this suggestion (which I have tried) is that when you turn add the deleted account back, you only get the email that comes in from that time forward and not any prior emails, so you would not be able to catch up.
    07-19-08 11:51 PM
    Options, mobile network, data connections off

Problem solved
    07-19-08 11:56 PM
    Also, deleting the email accounts only soves half the problem, as your BB will still try to connect to any other apps that use data, such as Viigo, weather apps, etc.

Jorgeed's suggestion is the best approach.

07-20-08 12:21 AM
    I like to turn down the lights, play some latin music, pour some wine, grab her in my hands, caress her keys, hold her close and then whisper softly into her ..........

Whoa! Time for a smoke.
    You might want to have your SCBA mask fit tested again! PRONTO!!
    07-20-08 12:26 AM

Whoa! Time for a smoke.
    hahaha lol you are quite witty and I enjoy reading your posts
    07-20-08 12:28 AM
    Like another poster said you can turn off data from the device level which solves the data/email. But if you just want email done log onto bis and for each email account just click on do not forward to device - not sure the exact location maybe in filters or the email itself on the bis website. You don't have to delete your email addresses then readd.

07-20-08 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD