hey guys... i fly out tomorrow late late at night on my way to puerto rico. my concern is the data roaming charges i'd encour while my phone is on. i need to have the phone function on, just in case i need to contact another party that will be with us... but i want the data/email/blah off so its not pushing my phone bill Up Up and AWAYYYYY

any help?
    07-20-08 04:37 PM
    Verizon doesn't cover PR? Wow. Go to Options then Scroll down to "mobile network" and change the "data services" options to off. This is the path I take on an 8100 on AT&T. Hopefully it's the same on your side.
    07-20-08 04:41 PM
    Yea its the same for the vzw curve. There is also an option for "off while roaming" which I might try first just in case there is some home network coverage for where the OP is going to be staying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 05:19 PM
    excellent... thanks guys. Is US Cell through verizion? i thought they used sprints crappy towers? all i know is sprint sucks out here and US Cell is the best there is all around this area where i live... we just got a Vzw store so who knokws.

but i'll do the off when roaming thing. appreciate it!
    07-20-08 06:01 PM
    I want off while roaming. Why doesn't my sprint 8330 have that? EDIT: I just realize it does dunno how I over looked that. My BB went to roaming for a short while during a heavy storm we had recently. I didn't even know it switch to roaming while I was using data. When I got my bill I had data roaming charges. It was chump change about 20 cents for almost 1MB. But imagine if it switches to roaming just after I start using it and do a lot more like steaming video I wouldn't want to find $5 $10 $20 in extra charges not knowing it changed to roaming. I think it's stupid that data isn't included in the free roaming that is part of the plan. Unless of course they screwed up a data usage is supposed to be included in the free roaming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 01:01 AM
    I'm confused... I have Verizon with the "Blackberry Nationwide Email & Messaging (900min)"... I was under the assumption that just like voice minutes, data was also free when available. The CS told me that if I had a signal and could make voice calls that the call was included in my minutes, so, I assumed that if my data was available and working that it would be covered in my package...! I thought when you have the "Nationwide" plan, if the VZW network were not available the voice minutes or data wouldnt work?
    07-21-08 07:13 AM
    I'm confused... I have Verizon with the "Blackberry Nationwide Email & Messaging (900min)"... I was under the assumption that just like voice minutes, data was also free when available. The CS told me that if I had a signal and could make voice calls that the call was included in my minutes, so, I assumed that if my data was available and working that it would be covered in my package...! I thought when you have the "Nationwide" plan, if the VZW network were not available the voice minutes or data wouldnt work?
    I suggest you chat with Customer Service so that you can have tangible evidence that this is what you were told. That way, if you ever incur a charge, you have something to back it up with.

I am on the Nationwide plan as well as I was under the impression that Nationwide means that my phone works in all of the US except for some spots, but being charged for roaming? I don't think so, go to myverizon and check what your plan consists of. I am pretty sure that on mine, I saw something about roaming unlimited. If they can do it with minutes, they can do it with data. find out and post it please.
    07-21-08 07:54 AM
    I have a similar question, I would like to use only the wifi portion of my blackberry (no accidental incoming calls/Data consumption), when i travel out of the country... Guys, is that possible like on the iphone/android "Airplane Mode"... Am concern of coming back to calls/data roaming charges. I will need to ck my emails/etc while away.
    07-24-13 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD