How can I tell if the Blackberry Curve 8130 that I purchased last May is unlocked or not. The phone hasn't had service since August of last year and we just went ot a new carrier. We were under the impression that the phone was unlocked, however when I put my new sim card in it I get a message that says "invalid sim". What do I need to do to correct this issue?
    01-15-09 09:50 AM
    How can I tell if the Blackberry Curve 8130 that I purchased last May is unlocked or not. The phone hasn't had service since August of last year and we just went ot a new carrier. We were under the impression that the phone was unlocked, however when I put my new sim card in it I get a message that says "invalid sim". What do I need to do to correct this issue?
    It seems like you have already discovered that it is not unlocked.
    You have to call the service provider for that specific phone and ask for an unlock code. I think they usually transfer you to someone from RIM and they go through the process with you. You get a code, some instructions and you should be set.
    01-15-09 10:22 AM
    If the SIM isn't recognized, I don't think you will be able to do the checking sequence on your BB anyway.
    01-15-09 10:40 AM
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card

Type MEPD (not sure how on the Pearl with Suretype)

Look under "Network". Enabled=Locked, Disabled=unlocked

That was the only difference on my phone after I unlocked it.

Better description here:
    How to unlock the BlackBerry Pearl and enter Blackberry Unlock Codes | AskStudent
    01-15-09 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD