I sent myself an excel spreadsheet. I got it fine and am able to read it OK too. However, what I want to do is to save this attachment. Otherwise, I have to keep the original email to access the document.

Any help here?
    08-18-08 08:44 PM
    Unless you are using OS4.5 with the included Docs-to-Go, there is not any way to save an attachment directly, other than saving the email. If you have the email on your PC, you can save the attachment on your PC and copy it to the Media Card using Mass Storage Mode, but once it's on the card, you can't view or open the spreadsheet. The attachment viewers don't work with standalone files. That is an incredible source of frustration, which has only two solutions at the moment, eOffice, available now for all platforms, and Docs-to-Go, available for platforms running OS4.5.
    08-18-08 09:46 PM
    JeffH, your replies have helped me learn so much, but no matter how I search & work on this, I can't figure it out. I am running 4.5 with the excel upgrade on docs to go. I still cannot find a way to save a doc that I open from an attchment. If it is already on the card, open, edit, save, no problem. But when I receive it via email, I can open / read it, but i want to save it, not the whole email, just the doc, no option. I know I can use DM to transfer it, but I am on the road a lot and my bb is my 'laptop'. Am I thinking the software can do something it can't?
    08-21-08 07:31 AM
    Open the email, then highlight the attachment and hit Menu>Download Attachment. FOllow the prompts to put it where you want it to save.
    08-21-08 07:37 AM
    thats what I thought to do, but I dont have the dowload attachment option, only open attachment. When I click on open attachment, it does just that, it doesn't prompt of where to save or anything. then once it is open, I do not have option to save. did I maybe not download something up turn on an option correctly? Thanks for the help
    08-21-08 07:47 AM
    Make sure you follow the step to open in docs to go, then hit Menu>Save As. I just sent myself an email with an attachment and it worked for me. I'm using the same BB as you, it looks like.
    08-21-08 07:50 AM
    Make sure you follow the step to open in docs to go.. maybe that is the part I am missing. How do I make sure to do that?
    08-21-08 08:00 AM
    When you open the email, don't open the attachment, just highlight it. Then, hit Menu>Download Attachment.
    08-21-08 08:09 AM
    I don't have Download Attachment as an option. I only have Open Attachment.
    08-21-08 08:53 AM
    I don't have Download Attachment as an option. I only have Open Attachment.

What kind of attachment are you trying to save (word, excel, pdf, pp, etc.)?
    08-21-08 08:54 AM
    just now i emailed myself a word doc to test what you said to do, still didn't have the download option. I would like to do this with word, ppt, excel. Pdf i have been able to save as a picture to the card (only issue is it is really small when you re-open it)
    08-21-08 08:58 AM
    could it be yet another VZW quirk...
    08-21-08 09:43 AM
    When you open the email, don't open the attachment, just highlight it. Then, hit Menu>Download Attachment.
    On mine when I do that with an excel file it says "You are about to download a file that cannot be viewed on your Blackberry device. Continue?"
    08-21-08 09:46 AM
    "Quirk." That's a nice way to put it.
    08-21-08 09:46 AM
    On mine when I do that with an excel file it says "You are about to download a file that cannot be viewed on your Blackberry device. Continue?"
    You must be using an OS previous to 4.5.
    08-21-08 09:47 AM
    yea i know, maybe they will launch a special "vzw only" document saver... only $5.99 /mo!! ha
    08-21-08 09:48 AM
    You must be using an OS previous to 4.5.
    No, I'm using 4.5.0.56
    08-21-08 09:51 AM
    I just read on the BB suport page that if running BES, you may need a BES upgrade to be able to save attachments you receive via email. Anyone hear this?
    08-21-08 10:31 AM
    Some of the features of OS 4.5 require BES ver 4.1 or higher to function. HTML mail, I think, is one. It's possible that saving attachments could be another. BES controls just about every aspect of a BlackBerry. Our BES is at ver 3.6, so even if Verizon released 4.5 for the 8830 today, I'd have a wait...
    08-21-08 10:43 AM
    I figure this is my situation as well. I am at the mercy of my company as well for the BES upgrade.
    08-21-08 10:46 AM
    I just read on the BB suport page that if running BES, you may need a BES upgrade to be able to save attachments you receive via email. Anyone hear this?
    makes sense, viewing file is not the same function as downloading "THE" file.
    in post #2 by JeffH, the work around works for me. pain in the arse, yes, but works... :||
    08-23-08 12:17 AM
    Try resending your service books that worked for me + now I also have hmtl books

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-08 05:33 AM
    I see you guys mentioning the BES. I am have a curve with Verizon but on BIS. I don't have any option to download my attachments. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    10-27-08 02:33 PM
    If you have Docs-to-Go, have you tried the method described in Post #2?
    10-27-08 04:29 PM
    I see you guys mentioning the BES. I am have a curve with Verizon but on BIS. I don't have any option to download my attachments. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    You probably still have the original, and only authorized, OS. If you do still have the original OS, you cannot, you have to have 4.5OS.
    10-27-08 04:46 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD