hi all.

i recently downloaded a star trek theme for my t-mobile curve from a website onto my pc. it downloaded as a zip file.

once i unzipped it, it appeared to be about 12 COD files and one JAD file.

the instructions on the website were the following:

First of all you need to make sure you extract all files to a folder in case the files would be in ZIP format.
    Then you can just copy the whole folder to the device memory or to a media card.
    Now you can use the blackberry to activate the OTA files on your device.

Open the Media application on the blackberry
    Press the left button next to the trackball
    Click explore
    Track down to Device Memory
    Press the left button next to the trackball
    Click Open
    Track down to your /Games Folder
    Press the right button next to the trackball
    Click Open
    Select the JAD file
    Select "Download"
    The Application will load on to your Blackberry and is now available in your application menu.

so, i unzip the file, then where do i copy it to? then, how do i get it onto my blackberry? i am stuck there.

also, i do not have the blackberry service, i can't afford it right now so i only have wi-fi. i only got this phone yesterday and i don't have a memory card yet.

thanks!
    Last edited by kirkthepirate; 11-14-08 at 08:02 AM.
    11-14-08 08:00 AM
    Welcome to CB!

You need to use your Desktop Manager to download a file like that. Add it to your application list and do a sync and it should transfer over to your device.
    11-14-08 08:03 AM
    JAD = OTA.. send the link to your blackberry email, once received, click on the link and it will prompt to download.

You use the desktop manage for AXL files, which you extract, and use your BB for JAD files.
    11-14-08 08:08 AM
    JAD = OTA.. send the link to your blackberry email, once received, click on the link and it will prompt to download.

You use the desktop manage for AXL files, which you extract, and use your BB for JAD files.
    I didn't know that that .JAD was an OTA file. You learn a new thing every day. Thanks Rachel!

Kirk, forget what I said and just listen to Rachel. LOL
    11-14-08 08:18 AM
    thanks for the responses. problem being, i don't have a blackberry email. i didn't get the full service.

how do i add the file to my application list?
    11-14-08 08:19 AM
    Are you able to access the internet?

Go to the page where yo found it, click on the link for download, and it should download..

You should go thru the 101 fact sheet in the newbie section, i think downloading themes is explained in there..

You may have to find another axl file that doesnt have all those instructions, and try again using your DM..

When you get a zip, it should have a cod file, and an axl file.. (once you extract)

Open your DM (desktop manager) plug in the BB.. app loader, browse to find the folder, and add the axl file, then click next on the app loader, if done correctly it will say its being installed on your device.. then your phone should reboot.. once up, to to options, themes, and it should be in there (if its for your OS) click and it will change..
    11-14-08 08:23 AM
    ok, sorry for any stupid questions...

but there seems to be no axl file, just COD and JAD.
    11-14-08 08:26 AM
    Because JAD is over the air.. you wont be able to use your DM for a JAD file..just the axl..

They are not stupid Q's it is confusing learning how to download a theme..

Go to Themes4BB.com| Free BlackBerry Themes|New BlackBerry Bold and Storm Custom Themes
    register there..
    now find a theme you like.. most of the themes there are OTA anyways..
    Now on your BB, go to that page, point your cursor to the link that says OTA here, or something like OTA link, your BB should start to download it, then once finished, look in yoiur options>themes..
    11-14-08 08:30 AM
    If you see a theme you like that has a zip file attached, unzip it and install thru DM..

You'll get the hang on it in no time.

Also keep in mind themes are quite large, so its best to only keep one or two on your phone at a time
    11-14-08 08:31 AM
    thanks for the help and patience. i am checking out that site.

some sites i cannot access sometimes, i am relying on wi-fi connection only.
    11-14-08 08:34 AM
    Tmobiles blackberry add on is only 19.99 a month, well worth it in my opinion, and cheaper than all the other providers,
    11-14-08 08:37 AM
    ok, maybe this is off-topic to my OP, but is it worth it? what do i get?
    11-14-08 08:42 AM
    ps, found the theme i wanted at the website you pointed me to. Thanks!
    11-14-08 08:42 AM
    Totally worth it, you dont have to worry about any over data charges etc, I never use my wi-fi.. always the Edge network... I love it.. I can basically use my phone as a laptop.. always works.. can do anything..

Great! Hope you get it installed
    11-14-08 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD