OK... I'm totally new to this... but I've searched the threads - and trying to find out why i'm losing all my old appointments (except recurring ones)... and I see all the references to going to the Calendar - Options - and select "keep appointments" to forever... however, I don't have that option coming up. There is no "appointments" at all.. (weird, because the "help" menu in the 8310 I have refers to it also... but it's not there!)

I see all the other things... "Show Free Time in Agenda View", "show tasks", etc... but nothing on appointments...

help?

Thanks!

Dahr
    06-06-08 12:42 PM
    If you're syncing to Outlook, "Forever" is 13 months. I have all my appointments back to May 1, 2007. April 2007 and earlier, I only have recurring ones. I am unaware of any way to change this in Outlook.

Just realized I misread part of your post. "Keep Appointments" should be between "Show End Time in Agenda View" and "Wireless Synchronization." But I'm sure you can read well enough that if it was anywhere, you'd have seen it.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-06-08 at 01:09 PM.
    06-06-08 01:04 PM
    could live with 13 months... however, I'm losing them within weeks... and I can't find the "option" to change how long they are being kept at all. I go to the Calendar, I pull up Options, and can't find any option for keeping appointments... how do I enable this Curve to give me that option????
    06-06-08 01:09 PM
    Sorry, I tried to edit my post before you read it, but you were too quick for me! I've never seen "Keep Appointments" not available as an option. Just for comparison, here's what I have:
    Initial View: Agenda
    Enable Quick Entry: Yes
    Default Reminder: 15 min
    Snooze: 5 min
    Start of Day: 7:00 am
    End of Day: 5:00 pm
    First Day of Week: Sun
    Confirm Delete: Yes
    Show Free time in Agenda view: No
    Show End Time in Agenda view: Yes
    Keep Appointments: Forever
    Wireless Synchronization: Yes
    Show Tasks: Yes

Do you have anything different, except for the Keep Appointments entry?
    06-06-08 01:15 PM
    Initial View: Day
    Enable Quick Entry: Yes
    Default Reminder: 15 min
    Snooze: 5 min
    Start of Day: 9:00 am
    End of Day: 7:00 pm
    First Day of Week: Sun
    Confirm Delete: Yes
    Show Free time in Agenda view: No
    Show End Time in Agenda view: Yes
    Show Tasks: No
    Number of Entries: 184

So mine is not showing either Keep appointments, or Wireless Sync.. Is there a connection here?

I don't utilize the blackberry yet for web browsing or email......

Dahr
    Last edited by dahrfry; 06-06-08 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...
    06-06-08 01:20 PM
    That must be it. So you're not syncing to Outlook or browsing. Do you have a data plan? You're holding the world's most powerful push email delivery system in your hand. Why not use it?
    06-06-08 01:27 PM
    this past weekend, and trying to adjust to all the nuances before getting in deeper. I have used a Palm PDA for years - synced to Palm Desktop... so the "Outlook" desktop is new to me, and not as user friendly (at least to me, because I'm not used to it) yet. The phone and the PDA functions are much more important to me right now than remote emailing or web browsing. Not that I won't get there... but right now that's not real high on my priority list.

Which brings me back to my original question... any thoughts on HOW do i get the calendar function to keep appointments after the day goes by... on BOTH Outlook AND the PDA (even if "forever" is only 13 months... that's a lot better than it is right now!)...

IF having "wireless synchronization" will enable the "Keep Appointment" function... how do I enable that - so it shows up? (I'm not convinced yet that the 2 are tied, but maybe they are....)

So I'm back to "HELP!"

Thanks!!

Dahr
    06-06-08 01:56 PM
    I used a Palm Vx until its battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore...switched to Windows Mobile and Pocket PC...Blackberry for about three years now...when you get used to the difference, I think you'll like it.

Given that you're new to the blackberry and presumably to the forum, what I'm about to tell you will sound like nonsense, but trust me...almost ALL aberrant behavior in blackberry's is caused by one of two things. Either the BB needs to be rebooted, or its free memory has gotten low.

To check the memory, go to Options/Status/File Free. If what you see there is less than 10 000 000 bytes, your memory is low. When the memory gets low, the phone goes into a memory recovery routine that deletes text messages and call logs and old appointments. It doesn't prompt you, it just does it. So that's the first thing to check.

Second, sometimes the phone just needs to be rebooted. To do that, remove the battery with the power ON, leave it out about a minute, then put it back.

Let me know what happens with both actions and we'll know how to proceed.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-06-08 at 02:28 PM. Reason: clarified and cleaned up grammar
    06-06-08 02:10 PM
    The memory is over 20,274,000 bytes...

I have found out, by running back to the AT&T store... that none of the new Curves' they pulled out - had the option to "Keep appointments"... which makes me wonder if you have to be signed up for Blackberry's data service for it to show up?

IF that is the case - there must be a way to keep the information on the appointment book... but what is it???

Thanks,

Dahr
    06-06-08 03:34 PM
    Ok, you have enough free memory, and the "every other curve in the store" scenario pretty well rules out the reboot option....There may be another curve user out there without a data plan that could offer suggestions, but honestly, you're wasting your money on a curve without a data plan. You won't get 10% of the benefits of it. Get an unlimited data plan. I don't have any suggestions for working without one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-06-08 at 06:16 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
    06-06-08 04:27 PM
    Reading what I just wrote, it sounds harsh. I don't mean to come across as demeaning. But the bb is designed for the internet in ways the original palms never were. Push email, for example. It's a big shift from the palm platform, but if you don't make it, you won't understand the point of bb's, and you might as well have any other phone. That's what I meant; not to sound insulting. Good luck, and welcome to crackberry!

06-06-08 04:34 PM
    no offense taken... I am well aware that i'm not utilizing much of the potential of the BB yet.... I am pretty sure I will in the future... I just want to be happy with what i really need it for, before I get into a lot of stuff I really don't need it for... (but I know it's really good at!). Emails and web surfing isn't something I'm too concerned about while i'm out and about presently...

Thanks again...
    06-07-08 01:23 AM
    wireless synchronization is available if you have BES (usual available with corporate email) or Unite (not available in the US). so, if you're only using BIS, wireless synchronization will not be an option (or if somehow appears, it still won't be useful for calendar).
    Last edited by b320; 06-07-08 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clarify
    06-07-08 01:37 AM
    question: do calendar items disappear automatically or only after a sync (since you've switched from Palm, you might be syncing every day)?
    06-07-08 01:48 AM
    Ok, you have enough free memory, and the "every other curve in the store" scenario pretty well rules out the reboot option....There may be another curve user out there without a data plan that could offer suggestions, but honestly, you're wasting your money on a curve without a data plan. You won't get 10% of the benefits of it. Get an unlimited data plan. I don't have any suggestions for working without one.

I am also in the same position without a "Keep Appointments" option. I personally have little need for internet and email access on my cell phone. I bought my 8310 mainly for the organiser functions, especially calendar. I also wanted (and use) GPS functions. I was able to buy my new 8310 for half price on an NZ auction site.
    I cannot justify a data plan as Vodafone NZ charge $35/month. I certainly use Calendar, every day. I seems weird to be forced to have a data plan to be able to clean up old calendar entries.
    07-05-08 08:13 PM
    I use google calendar, which synchs wirelessly and holds dates that have already passed. I am not sure how costly it would be for those without a unlimited data plan.
    07-05-08 09:12 PM
    I've seen several threads about how to keep all old appointments while using wireless synch. I think I found what works. These two articles from blackberry seem to nail it. I can't post the url's so I'm putting the knowledgebase article numbers here. One explains why it happens in the first place, the second is how to deal with it. The only thing I'd add is that AFTER you turn the wireless synch off, and BEFORE you synch with Outlook using the desktop manager, change the setting to "import" and check the "refresh" option. After that finishes, then turn the wireless synch back on.

I may be creating a memory problem on the device, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Good luck.

KB02871
    KB04808
    07-18-08 08:40 AM
    First time I've posted but this issue is DRIVING me (and our IT department nuts). My curve is deleting appointments that are older than 2 weeks old. I know it isn't driven by my outlook because I haven't connected the blackberry and outlook in a couple of weeks. The historical appointments in Outlook but gone from the blackberry. This problem may have started when I updated the blackberry software to v4.5.0182 (Platform 2.7.0.106). Before then, i didn't have this problem. I'm also noticing that the email on my BB no longer mirrors my outlook inbox after connecting the programs. I think this is a new problem, too. HELP!!!
    04-05-10 10:10 PM
    One cause of this problem on an 8310 is low free memory. Check your Options / Status / File Free. If the value is significantly less than 10 000 000 bytes, the device may be conducting memory triage to keep sufficient memory available to operate. Past appointments and text messages are two types of info that are automatically deleted by the OS when free memory is critically low. The CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that is linked in my sig will show you how to free up memory to reduce the risk of lost appointments and messages. You are using a 64MB device that may be at the limits of its capacity. The OS upgrade may be using enough additional memory to have triggered the problem.
    04-06-10 11:10 AM
    Piecing all the comments together, here is my solution:

This setting is only visible when Wireless Synchronisation is set to ON.

To modify, set Wireless Synchronisation to ON and save it. Now if you open calender options, you will see the keep appointments setting. You can change it to FOREVER and save it. Then you can turn Wireless Synchronisation back to OFF.

After this, the keep appointments setting is not visible anymore, but seems to be remembered.

Note that whan you take out the battery, both these settings are lost and you have to repeat above procedure.

Hope this solves the discussion.
    Last edited by prb5644; 04-03-12 at 11:04 AM.
    04-03-12 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD