I been trying to add my school email to my phone since i got it but every time i try it says,unable to set up,Can someone help me?
    12-10-08 10:53 PM
    Did it give any other information as to why it was unable to add it? Is it just a POP3 email?
    12-10-08 10:57 PM
    I have to find that out tomorrow,What's a pop3 account?
    12-10-08 10:59 PM
    How do you access your email currently?
    12-10-08 11:05 PM
    most common web-based email. you might have manually insert the domains or whatever. what did the error message say?
    12-10-08 11:05 PM
    I couldn't get my school email to work on my phone either so I found a way around it .... I set my school email to a gmail account and put that on my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 11:44 PM
    Newbie - You have not really provided enough information here. What school are you attending? How to you access your email when working from home? Depending on this information, you may not be able to. If you can setup an email forwarding from your school account to a GMail or Yahoo account, you can easily add those to your Blackberry.
    12-11-08 12:19 PM
    Could it be your school email server has a firewall set up on it to stop outside access? As one person stated the simple solution is to have your school email forwarded to or redirected to an email address you can access.
    12-11-08 01:35 PM
    If this BlackBerry is your personal smartphone, you might want to reconsider having your school email on it.

The school's email addresses and mail servers belong to the school, and everything that comes through them is public record. Thus, through the Freedom of Information Act, every email you send or receive on your school address could be accessible to the public. for that matter, all the web sites you visit, any shopping you do, can all be tracked.

If you choose to have your school email address linked to your 'Berry, there exists the possibility that everything on your Berry's hard drive could then become accessible.

This is part of the reason President-Elect Obama is having to give up his 'Berry.

I woun't choose to have my school mail come to my 'Berry even if I could.

that's the other factor. It is possible that your school doesn't allow that kind of access to it's email.

I hope this helped.

Sue
    12-11-08 01:41 PM
    If this BlackBerry is your personal smartphone, you might want to reconsider having your school email on it.

The school's email addresses and mail servers belong to the school, and everything that comes through them is public record. Thus, through the Freedom of Information Act, every email you send or receive on your school address could be accessible to the public. for that matter, all the web sites you visit, any shopping you do, can all be tracked.

If you choose to have your school email address linked to your 'Berry, there exists the possibility that everything on your Berry's hard drive could then become accessible.

This is part of the reason President-Elect Obama is having to give up his 'Berry.

that's the other factor. It is possible that your school doesn't allow that kind of access to it's email.

I hope this helped.

Sue
    Um, can you give some sort of documentation for this? I haven't heard of anything even remotely similar to this. The reason Obama is giving up his BB is because any e-mails he sends become part of public record, because he is the president. I'm not sure the same rule applies to every college student in the country.
    12-11-08 02:15 PM
    Sue:

I agree with you and is why forwarding or redirecting to another email address he can access is the perfect solution. There may be some school only email he needs to read but he can send via the other email address to keep things off of the school server.
    12-11-08 02:21 PM
    I'd say the first step is finding out if you can access your school account from a third party PC. If your system use MS exchange server and you can get web based access from a PC you should be able to set it up on your BB. If not, you will need to redirect the account.
    12-11-08 03:24 PM

I hope this helped.

Sue
    The only parts of this that are accurate are that the mail servers belong to the institution and that President-Elect Obama is having to give up his BlackBerry.

First of all, the institution would have to be a PUBLIC institution (ie funded with tax payer money). Private institutions are not subject to FOIA.

Second, the BlackBerry user would need to be an EMPLOYEE of that university. Simply being a student and using the university's mail servers would not subject the person to FOIA. And even if it were the case, if you are already using the institution's email from some other venue (ie a computer), then having the email sent to your phone wouldn't change anything. It seems likely that more college students would "be in trouble" for what's on their computer compared to what's on their BlackBerry were this to be the case.

Third, the part about websites and shopping being tracked is completely false. Simply having your email from said institution sent to your phone would in no way permit the institution to view this information.

And, of course, BlackBerries don't have hard drives.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 12-11-08 at 07:12 PM.
    12-11-08 07:06 PM
    The only parts of this that are accurate are that the mail servers belong to the institution and that President-Elect Obama is having to give up his BlackBerry.

First of all, the institution would have to be a PUBLIC institution (ie funded with tax payer money). Private institutions are not subject to FOIA.

Second, the BlackBerry user would need to be an EMPLOYEE of that university. Simply being a student and using the university's mail servers would not subject the person to FOIA. And even if it were the case, if you are already using the institution's email from some other venue (ie a computer), then having the email sent to your phone wouldn't change anything. It seems likely that more college students would "be in trouble" for what's on their computer compared to what's on their BlackBerry were this to be the case.

Third, the part about websites and shopping being tracked is completely false. Simply having your email from said institution sent to your phone would in no way permit the institution to view this information.

And, of course, BlackBerries don't have hard drives.
    Well, let me try a couple of those too quickly written sentences again. It sounds to me like I made a couple of assumptions about the original question, and that, subsequently, other made assumptions about me and my frame of reference.

First, this individual talked about setting up "school email." My frame of reference, and my experience, is as a public school teacher.

A public school is an institution owned by "the state." So, yes, my school emails, that go over the school server, are public record. It was a fairly recent ruling by the US Supreme Court, but I would have to now go back and find the exact case number. So, to the person who asked for documentation, I apologize, I just don't have it in front of me anymore.

Finally, the thing about being tracked was in reference to the servers that the school owns, and should have been stated more clearly as such. Too fast with the typing.

But, it is true that having school email delivered to my Berry could become problemmatic in that regard, and so I simply avoid it so there is no confusion. Also, it helps me separate my work and personal lives a little.

Perhaps this clears up the misunderstanding.
    12-11-08 08:41 PM
    First, this individual talked about setting up "school email." My frame of reference, and my experience, is as a public school teacher.

A public school is an institution owned by "the state." So, yes, my school emails, that go over the school server, are public record. It was a fairly recent ruling by the US Supreme Court, but I would have to now go back and find the exact case number. So, to the person who asked for documentation, I apologize, I just don't have it in front of me anymore.
    Ah, this makes sense. Two different interpretations of the question. I didn't really think about a public school teacher asking this question.
    12-11-08 08:59 PM
    Yeah, my assumption, based on the typical posts here, is that the OP is a college student.
    12-11-08 09:46 PM
    And I went to college in the days before college students even had email...
    12-12-08 01:13 PM
    I dont have the option for a POP3 account. Where is that option?
    12-19-08 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD