I would like to switch from my Samsung Rant to a Blackberry, and the 8330 seems to be in my price range. One of the main reasons I would like to get a Blackberry (or smartphone) is for the interneet. Ive read one of the cons to the phone is the browser, but see that people have been downloading third party browsers like Opera Mini. Does this fix the poor internet browsing issue , or am I better off spending more money on a phone like the HTC Touch ?
    10-02-09 06:49 AM
    The BB browser is not the greatest but is not that bad either it gets the job done! There are 3rd party browsers you can use like Bolt and Opera Mini (Personally I like Bolt better, is my everyday browser) renders pages fast and like on a regular desktop...
    10-02-09 06:56 AM
    I would like to switch from my Samsung Rant to a Blackberry, and the 8330 seems to be in my price range. One of the main reasons I would like to get a Blackberry (or smartphone) is for the interneet. Ive read one of the cons to the phone is the browser, but see that people have been downloading third party browsers like Opera Mini. Does this fix the poor internet browsing issue , or am I better off spending more money on a phone like the HTC Touch ?
    I have the storm, and while it's not the best browser, Its good enough to use when I'm bored off my *** and need something to keep me occupied for a bit.
    10-02-09 07:08 AM
    I prefer the BB browser to the 3rd party ones, although I have seen that there's going to be a big update for OM if it hasn't already happened.
    10-02-09 07:09 AM
    i would definitely go into a store and play with each phone in order to see which fits YOU best. the browse on the 8330 is not the greatest and even though you can install 3rd party browsers, to me it just a band aid solution. Blackberry does email very well. If you don't need the email function as much as the web, i would probably look at a different device. Although i love my berry, if they dont make some drastic improvements before its time for me to renew, i will switch devices.
    10-02-09 07:25 AM
    The BlackBerry browser is not the best on the market. It gest better with later versions of the Operating System. If your phone comes with OS 4.5.xx (goto Options, About and read the 3rd line down) then you have the best Blackberry native browser for your phone.

Both Bolt, my fave and Opera-Mini use external servers to assist speed and display.

SkyFire, much vaunted, never seen is reputed to be the best yet but it needs to be released first.

None of the browser (except maybe the enigmatic SkyFire) support Flash. RIM say that they intend releasing a version of the native browser that support full Flash. However this is just a rumor today.

YouTube may be viewed by using a couple of different apps depending on how you like your vids. Facebook is supported by a facebook issued app.
    10-02-09 07:38 AM
    Skyfire was awesome on my windows mobile device, but on the BB I have no problems with the curve's browser.

Verizon curves now ship with 4.5.0.77 os (I think) mine is turned off right now...company policy
    10-02-09 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD