Hey! I have a quick question...

I just bought a green housing for my 8330 Curve. I really like the color (and the fact that it will be different from all of my friends that have the same phone), but I was wondering if there are any negatives to changing the housing?

Does anyone have any horror stories? Does it do anything to the warranty? If so, if I put the standard housing back on, will it still have the warranty (if Verizon doesn't know...)

Thanks in advance!
    06-07-09 01:27 AM
    Yes it does void the warranty if you replace the housing. Will they know if you have to return it and put stock housing back on, probably not. Just be careful and read as much as you can about doing this brefore you attempt it. Even look on youtube and here for disassembly tutorials, etc. if you just have to do it Good luck...
    06-07-09 01:30 AM
    Changing the housing does void the warranty. Putting the original case back on it may work for taking it back, however I have heard there is a small sticker over one of the screws and if that is missing than your carrier will know you removed the housing. If you have insurance you shouldn't have to worry about that too much, just pay the deductible and get a new phone if something happens to it.

As for horror stories, I haven't heard too many but I have seen a few where after changing the housing the headset jack or usb port stops working. Just be careful and make sure you watch one of the disassembly videos on youtube abd look for instructions on how to change the housing (there is a thread until the "How To/Tips" section of this forum.)

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 04:51 AM
    Thanks guys!

Anyone else have any information? I love my Curve and everyone already has my PIN so I don't want to ruin it so I am trying to get as much info as I can get before the housing arrives...

Thanks again!
    06-07-09 05:22 PM
    as long as you are careful, and you know what you are doing, you should be fine
    06-07-09 05:23 PM
    I haven't changed the housing with a BB, but I did with a regular VZW phone. It was extremely messy, as the old housing was glued on. Naturally, the housing I bought didn't come with glue so it wouldn't stay on properly. There were several prongs on the top of the new housing that were supposed to align with the holes in the bottom to "snap" on.

A few of them snapped off instead of snapping on. I tried to put the old housing back on, but once it was off, it wasn't going back on (the glue thing). So i just jammed it in a leather case and left it until I got a Moto Q, then my Curve.

I would advise you to not change the housing. Buy a spiffy looking case or theme to rub in ppl's faces. Or use nail polish and stickers like my wife did lol (I think that voids the warranty, too)
    06-07-09 09:13 PM
    Things to be careful about when changing your housing:

1) Use the proper tools. T5 screwdriver.
    2) The T5 screws are very easy to break, both loosening/tightening.
    3) The side rails should be left alone. Moving them may render your headset jack dead.
    4) Be careful not to gouge or scrape the thin antenna under the small bottom cover when you pry it off.

Basically, take your time and go slow. Don't force anything, except maybe the bottom cover.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 09:23 PM
    Hey guys! Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to some threads and videos of how to change just the housing faceplates?

Everything I have found deals with messing with the side rails and stuff. I read in this forum that that wasn't necessary for changing just the faceplates....

Any thread, video, or post would be of great value!

Thank you!
    06-17-09 08:39 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/hous...change-201687/

Here's the tutorial I followed, didn't mess with the siderails and besides me screwing up the trackball, everything is good.
    06-17-09 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD