I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly but I think I may be getting something for free. When at home on my FIOS provided Wireles Router and at Work on my Wireless Router I was able to setup and connect my Curve 8320. I get the WiFi/UMA connection indicators and am able to make and receieve calls, use e-mail, surf the web...etc. However, I am not subscribed to the T-Mobile Hot Spot or @Home plan for the $20 or so they charge. Should I be able to be doing this stuff? Is T-Mobile screwed up? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.
    11-27-07 09:27 AM
    I had the same question as I saw calls that were made using the UMA.

I called TMO and the rep said that if I had the BIS on my plan that it would use UMA for calls, texts and others services on the UMA if no wireless signal is being used.

I'm guessing the Hotspot is just for those phones that have WiFi and are not Blackberrys, like the TMO Shadow.
    11-27-07 12:50 PM
    All 8320's from T-mo have the ability to use Wi-fi for data and UMA for calling when an available wireless network is available, theoretically making calls clearer/more stable in areas with spotty EDGE service, and making browsing/e-mail quicker.

Hotspot@home means that any of the calls initiated over UMA will not be deducted from your monthly calling plan, instead they are unlimited as part of the $20 hotspot plan (or 10$ depending on where you live I guess).

IF you do not subscribe to hotspot you still get the benefit of data over wi-fi and calls over UMA, however these minutes are deducted as any other minutes are out of your monthly minutes package. .
    11-27-07 03:13 PM
    vwranger02 is correct and if you are on a smart access or flex pay account you cant even subcribe to the service
    12-02-07 07:32 AM
    I just added it a month ago for only $9.99. You can't go wrong with free calls at work and at home for 10 dollars.
    12-02-07 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD