Hey everyone! I've been browsing your boards for the last few hours, trying to decide if I should go ahead with the 4.5 OS upgrade. I have the curve, 8320 and am with Tmobile (USA).

so i'm scared as crud to do this... I talked to Tmobile about it a few days ago and they said that if I were to upgrade and something were to go out of whack, I'd be SOL for tech support.

I'm REALLY nervous (as I've seen some people were) to do this. I've been trying different sites to see if I can decide either way. I was hoping someone here would have a messenger of some sort and walk me through this because I'm still really new to the blackberry world (only have had mine a few months). you all have been so nice and supportive of each other, especially to the nervous individuals, like myself, so I'm hoping someone will be willing to help me out!

thank you for your time!!
    10-15-08 11:03 PM
    Lol I was in the same boat as you are in right now. I too have the 8320 w/ tmobile. I did it a few weeks ago and very happy w/ the outcome! First off do you have warrenty w/ your phone? If you do, it'll void it once you upgrade. So you have to think twice about it. But if you dont then why not? =p If you make a mistake and brick your bb, its recoverable. Just a minor set back and you can retry again and again as i read many others have done.

I was really nervous too at first, but i braved up and hope for the best, and it did! So if you follow each step carefully step-by-step, you would too. It's so much worth upgrading b/c of all the new featured apps, and the awesome themes that members create for 4.5 users
    10-15-08 11:30 PM
    Oops also forgot, Welcome to crackberry! you'll be a crackberry addict in no time lol
    10-15-08 11:32 PM
    thank you sooo so much for the warm welcome!

yeah i do have a warranty/insurance! plus on top of it all, i'm so new to blackberry that i'm SCARED to death to upgrade because i am gonna FREAK if i nuke it! lol!

i'd feel better if i had an blackberry support person over my shoulder walking me through the whole process. i've been so close to doing it (my brief moments of bravery) but then i freak out again. lol! i'm so pathetic it's ridiculous!

plus it's 12:44am here and i'm still up and mind whirling about pros and cons to upgrading! lol!
    Last edited by ucsdgirl04; 10-15-08 at 11:48 PM.
    10-15-08 11:44 PM
    oh and if you downgrade to the original 4.2.2 does it reactivate your warranty?
    10-15-08 11:45 PM
    This is literally easy as pie. Anyone that can't do it shouldn't have a blackberry. End of story.
    10-15-08 11:52 PM
    i'm not sure if i'm supposed to take that as an insult or not.
    10-15-08 11:59 PM
    no prob, IMO you really dont need a BB support person to be walking you through. Anybody that upgraded successfully w/o problems can help you! Or you can just read the step-by-step procedure. Like what ^Chris said "it's literally easy as pie" =p But if you're not confident enough yet, just give it time to familiarize yourself w/ what you need to do in order to upgrade from the sticky thread.

and for the downgrading, I've read somewhere here in the forum that it will reactivate you warrenty. But don't take my word for it. Someone might chime in and hopefully they'll know the correct answer
    10-16-08 12:07 AM
    I was also scared of majorly screwing something up before I upgraded. However, the process went much better than I thought. Just make sure you do a back-up first, and pick the most current OS version for your phone. I read and re-read the "how to" posts several times before I made the leap. I'm sure it will be fine, and as others have said, there are several people here willing to help you out if you run into a problem.

Welcome to CB!
    10-16-08 12:13 AM
    i'm not sure if i'm supposed to take that as an insult or not.
    I am right there with you......just got my first blackberry a little while ago and there are so many functions that come with the upgrade that I would love to have but I'm terrified that I'm going to screw up my new baby. I know that sounds corney and that other dude is probably right I shouldn't be allowed to have it but these bb kick some major ***!!!!
    I want to upgrade but there are so many different instructions on how and what to do, how am I going to know which one is the right one that won't f up my bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 12:18 AM
    Here's the link to the newest upgrade:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/

This is the one and only instructions you should follow in order to successfully upgrade your bb.
    10-16-08 12:25 AM
    This may or may not be a stupid question.
    Is it okay to upgrade to that newest os 4.5.0.81 directly from the one I have now 4.2.2.180?

10-16-08 12:29 AM
    of course you can! =p thats what i had when i upgraded directly to 4.5.0.81
    Everything worked out fine and lovin it..
    10-16-08 12:37 AM
    I was ballsy enough to do it w/o asking any type of questions to any of the members of what could possibly go wrong lol...It was my first time upgrading too..After i kept on reading postive things about the new OS, it took me a couple of days to brave up, and then i just went on and did it w/o any problems.
    10-16-08 12:40 AM
    You know that 4.5.0.93 is out, right?
    10-16-08 12:49 AM
    Yea i've heard about it, but i don't really wanna read up on it. As of right now im content w/ the .81 ... can you tell me whats new about the .93?
    10-16-08 12:54 AM
    ok i see:

Download here for 8310/8320 multilanguage...

Download here for 8300/8310/8320 for English & East Asia...

two separate links. which one do i choose?
    10-16-08 12:55 AM
    oh so there's a newer version aside from the .81?
    10-16-08 12:56 AM
    Honestly, I haven't upgraded to it. I just wanted to throw it out there in case someone wants it.

I'm happy with 81 and the neat things it comes with.
    10-16-08 12:59 AM
    you can choose either one. I choosed the 2nd link cuz i dont need multi language in my bb
    10-16-08 12:59 AM
    oh so there's a newer version aside from the .81?
    there is a new os out there.
    10-16-08 01:00 AM
    ooh ic.. you dont need to worry about the new version. I dont know much about the .93, but from what i read about the .81 everyone is enjoying it cause its been the most stable OS from its previous OS's. Supposedly fixed all the bugs i guess. I wouldnt know exactly what it was b/c i just went from 4.2 to 4.5.0.81 lol
    Last edited by VillanBB; 10-16-08 at 01:05 AM.
    10-16-08 01:02 AM
    LOL...I went from 4.2 to 4.5.0.69 to 4.5.0.81

Luckily both upgrades have been problem free for me.

UCSD, added
    Last edited by solxsurfer; 10-16-08 at 01:08 AM.
    10-16-08 01:05 AM
    thanks! sorry i just got your messages. i sent you more on bbm
    10-16-08 01:18 AM
    Should I remove my media card before installing the upgrade?

10-16-08 01:40 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD