Ok folks here's the deal...

Ever since I heard the Curve was coming to CDMA (I'm on Sprint), I've been excited. But then my ****** Palm started acting up like none other (I'm talking battery pulls about two or three times a day). I'm only 3 months into my contract with Sprint (not too pleased with their CS), and I'm itching to get a curve. Should I wait to get the Sprint Curve (meanwhile dealing with the agony of using the buggiest Smartphone ever), or bite the bullet, pay the cancellation fee, and switch to AT&T (just because TMo doesn't get the greatest reception in CT where I'm originally from, and I can get an education discount with ATT).

What do you think?
    02-25-08 04:12 PM
    I would wait (if possible). Those cancellation fees can be rough.
    02-25-08 04:27 PM
    I would wait (if possible). Those cancellation fees can be rough.
    Good point on the high cancellation fees. It might be worth looking into an unlocked Curve!!!
    02-25-08 05:31 PM
    Ok..so whats going to be more expensive...paying the $200 cancellation fee and getting the curve for $79.99 at best buy, or paying full price for the curve?
    02-25-08 10:36 PM
    paying full price for the curve, but just by a little. on ATT, an new curve is 299ish
    02-25-08 10:40 PM
    i can get it on sale at best buy for 79.99
    02-25-08 10:45 PM
    Yes, but what i mean is, to pay the 200 cancellation fee, plus 79.99 for the BB, is a little cheaper than buying the Curve for ~300 or so when it comes on sprint, because you wont be eligible for an upgrade when it comes to CDMA
    02-25-08 10:49 PM
    I agree with cjcarbone..

You definitely won't be eligible for an upgrade yet. So if you really don't like the service and want the Curve, I'd say cut the contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-08 11:20 PM
    Huh? The only thing I'm seeing on Bestbuy.com is $549 for the AT&T Curve. Who's got the Curve for 80 bucks?
    02-26-08 09:44 AM
    Huh? The only thing I'm seeing on Bestbuy.com is $549 for the AT&T Curve. Who's got the Curve for 80 bucks?
    They were probably referring to a sale price listed, also probably requiring a two-year contract. Places like BestBuy often make these look like the retail price of the phone when they are not.
    02-26-08 09:55 AM
    Yup...so I think I'm gonna go pick up the Curve at Best Buy. When you look at it, I'm going to be paying that 549.99 at least for the phone (CDMA versions seem to be more expensive than the GSM versions), when I can get it for cheaper at Best Buy and wind up paying 279.99 for it.
    02-26-08 11:05 AM
    Or...option number 32: start writing letters to sprint's corporate office stating that you have a bad phone that has caused you a hardship and want to be let out of your contract with no fee. It works. I know. I have done it. Most people don't want to take the time to look up the CEO of a company, find the address, write the letter, take it to the post office and send it as registered mail with receipt return. It took me only one letter to sprint to get out of a contract on a bad phone. So, $5 for a letter and your free, or $200 fee. Your choice.
    02-26-08 04:14 PM
    Or...option number 32: start writing letters to sprint's corporate office stating that you have a bad phone that has caused you a hardship and want to be let out of your contract with no fee. It works. I know. I have done it. Most people don't want to take the time to look up the CEO of a company, find the address, write the letter, take it to the post office and send it as registered mail with receipt return. It took me only one letter to sprint to get out of a contract on a bad phone. So, $5 for a letter and your free, or $200 fee. Your choice.
    Good point. These cell phone companies will do almost anything to avoid a fight.

If you stick it out and the Curve does come to Sprint, I've gotten phones many times before I was eligible for upgrade at the upgrade price. If you moan, complain, and threaten to leave their service, they'll work with you. They make their money off of your monthly service fee, not off of selling phones.
    02-26-08 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD