when I was connected to the computer there wasn't anything there to delete... would love to free up some space. can't find any info here... although I know it's on the forum somewhere. I'd like to delete ringtones and oringinal themes, etc...
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    04-11-10 03:53 PM
    Deleting the OEM themes usually won't work because most custom themes are built on them. You can usually delete your carrier themes, but you have to keep BBDimension Zen. The original ringtones are very small and probably not worth deleting either. There were some reports of problems that suggested the ringtones are required by the OS. The CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig will show you a number of items you can safely delete to free up memory.
    04-11-10 03:58 PM
    if its a theme or a ringtone that comes with the phone(os) that can't be done.. but if it's a downloaded theme or ring tone. for a theme you would go >options icon>applications>find the theme you wanted to delete>click it >and click delete

for ringtones>media>ringtones>my ringtones> pick the one you want to delete> and click the delete button on your bb
    04-11-10 04:00 PM
    Thanks a lot Jeff. Appreciate your quick response.
    04-11-10 04:01 PM
    also if you feel your device is getting slow try making sure your closing all your applications correctly. to see whats running in the background, from the home screen hold down the menu key until icons appear. scroll left to right. thats whats running in your background i beleive you should have about 5 icons always running. anymore than that and they are not closed correcty.

to close an app correctly. click on the app then once it opens click the menu key and scroll down to close/exit if the app does not close correctly repeat that process until it does. then try the first process i explained and see if it's running in your background
    04-11-10 04:05 PM
    Fedge... I've tried that with the pre-loaded ringtones and it doesn't work (there are so many I don't want them all). Also, thanks for the tip on closing apps... I just recently figured that out by checking on here not too long ago and I've been careful to close out the app once I am finished.
    Thanks so much for the help :0
    04-11-10 05:07 PM
    you absolutely can delete the ringtones. however, its all or none -- deleting the file frees up about 1 megabyte of memory (1205 KB). I found a file online that had all the ringtones at MIDI or MP3's, and thus I only loaded the 5 I use onto my memory card, and set ringtones using those files.

To delete the ringtone file, you'll need to use BBSAK and delete the net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_8330.cod file.

See attached zip file for the ringtones.
    Last edited by docsmody; 04-11-10 at 07:03 PM.
    04-11-10 06:59 PM
    you absolutely can delete the ringtones. however, its all or none -- deleting the file frees up about 1 megabyte of memory (1205 KB). I found a file online that had all the ringtones at MIDI or MP3's, and thus I only loaded the 5 I use onto my memory card, and set ringtones using those files.

To delete the ringtone file, you'll need to use BBSAK and delete the net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_8330.cod file.

Are any files dependent on that cod?

As far as themes, use maxmem. In my experience, you only need zen and today to run custom themes. Today and L are unnecessary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 09:00 PM

As far as themes, use maxmem. In my experience, you only need zen and today to run custom themes. Today and L are unnecessary.

04-11-10 09:02 PM
    No files are dependent on that COD. I've had the file removed from both when I was running OS 4.5 and now running OS 5.0.

Its just a massive file with every ring tone in it. When you only use a few, no need to keep the entire file.
    04-12-10 01:39 PM
    Awesome. Thanks doc.

04-12-10 01:41 PM

I found that out the hard way yesterday. lol
    At least I was smart enough to back it up before I deleted it.

EDIT:
    So what do you do if you don't have a net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_8330.cod?

Last edited by sickboy719; 04-12-10 at 03:11 PM.
    04-12-10 02:17 PM
    EDIT:
    So what do you do if you don't have a net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_8330.cod?
    Please see my post above. I explained it.
    04-12-10 08:51 PM
    EDIT:

Same thing here. I went to delete that cod and it wasn't there.

04-12-10 08:54 PM
    Please see my post above. I explained it.
    I must have missed something. Your last post above says to use BBSAK to delete the COD, but that COD isn't on my device. And deleting ringtones with MaxMem has no effect.

EDIT:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/how...gtones-232642/

It's net_rim_bb_medialoader_qualcomm.cod apparently.
    And deleting it broke the vibrate on my phone, but the ringtones are gone.

Last edited by sickboy719; 04-13-10 at 12:08 AM.
    04-12-10 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD