I'm in ft. lauderdale and im on the road alot lately...I used to be able to use my blackberry curve (sprint) as a modem for my laptop but I haven't been able to do it lately. I've used sprint smart view and it says that the remote doesn't connect and I'm also trying the Dm 5.0.1 and that doesn't work either. If anybody would help me I would greatly appriciate it. I need to catch up on my virtual schooling.

Thanks all,Dill
    11-26-09 11:49 AM
    I had the same issue with Sprint, and I called their customer care. They told me that the reason you used to be able to tether your blackberry was a network mistake, and if you want to use it as a modem you have to buy a modem plan. Dumb, huh? So as far as I know, there's no way to do it. If someone knows a way, I'd be interested too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 12:12 PM
    I sooo hope that that's not the case, but it definitely seems like it is. I sure hope someone comes out with a different way or sprint makes another mistake and we can do it again cuz i don't know too many ppl that are willing to spend extra money for that.
    11-26-09 03:26 PM
    Buy Tetherberry, either now or when they run a sale on it.
    11-26-09 04:07 PM
    I tried the same thing on ATnT. The guy that loaded my wife's phone transferred frm AllTel told me that the modem function cost an Extra $60 a month. Yeah, well. Whtevr.

11-26-09 05:14 PM
    I'm on Verizon, which has always required a tethering plan, but I've read similar complaints from Sprint recently. Be aware that using Tetherberry will violate the terms of your contract and there are countless horror stories of large monthly bills of thousands of dollars.

11-26-09 06:51 PM
    I'm on Verizon, which has always required a tethering plan, but I've read similar complaints from Sprint recently. Be aware that using Tetherberry will violate the terms of your contract and there are countless horror stories of large monthly bills of thousands of dollars.

Tetherberry is actually being recommended by Sprint reps as an alternative because they do not offer a separate tether plan (or the didn't a couple of months ago when they cut it off). Tetherberry is an app so runs as if you are surfing on your phone...I have it and love it. Bought it when it was 50% off. Works great! I don't use it all the time...I use it when wi-fi is not available, and worked perfect for me while I was traveling between states on a long car ride so wanted to surf on the laptop to kill the boredom (I wasn't driving the car of course ).
    11-26-09 07:28 PM
    so tetherberry would be my only other option?
    11-27-09 11:41 AM
    Unless you want to pay a monthly tether fee if Sprint offers one, yes.
    11-27-09 12:15 PM
    There is a story on this site about a guy using TB and got busted by VZW to the tune of 3 grand, i do believe they worked out a deal but he had to pay something
    11-27-09 12:24 PM
    That's because he was using it 24/7! I only use mine when wi-fi is not available; that's main purpose of tethering to begin with. If you plan on using your BB as your main source of internet connection, then best to call Sprint and see if they have a tethering plan. Sprint reps recommended Tetherberry as an alternative; it's an app that runs like all other apps off your data plan. Even though our plans say "unlimited data" there is a cap of 5gb.
    11-27-09 12:27 PM
    the website Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | TetherBerry has it on sale for 50% off now thru monday....

i downloaded a trial and held off buying it until today... i love it!
    11-27-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD