I just got off the phone with a t-mobile rep and they told me that I can't use the browser to surf the internet with wi-fi without getting the blackberry services ( which is the internet). Now I'm wondering is that true? Do you guys use the wi-fi flawless without any interruption? I'm getting bugs to connecting to certain places. They also gave me an explanation on my "uma" issues with not having the Blackberry services. I also getting just "edge" and "gprs".
    10-22-07 06:09 PM
    My experience is without any services you can only get "wifi" "edge" and "uma" for browsing and yes some sites you wont be able to load. I believe capital UMA and EDGE will be for those who gets additional services. Meaning limited access but still able to surf certain sites.
    10-22-07 06:51 PM
    may work but without data feature you dont even get the browser icon so how will you load the pages
    10-23-07 11:08 PM
    Is this true? then what's the wi-fi feature for?
    i thought we can just surf the net whenever there's open wifi connections. like how we use laptops.
    Last edited by avjan; 10-24-07 at 02:39 AM.
    10-24-07 02:29 AM
    I am an advocate for a working wifi system. In this particular case though, H@H is really not to get you connected to the internet for free, but rather 2 different reasons.
    One that I need, I live in an area where I cant get any reception, no matter what provider, so using H@H is like having a small tower inside your home, I never miss calls or not drop most of them ( big issue before).
    The second reason is to get people to signup for the H@H $20 extra service plan. It allows people to make unlimited calls from there home if the call is initiated from H@H. If you read your manual it defines that the Uppercase letter allow you do to access more features.
    10-26-07 04:07 PM
    Is this true? then what's the wi-fi feature for?
    i thought we can just surf the net whenever there's open wifi connections. like how we use laptops.
    I have the BB 8320 with H@H and NO DATA plan.
    The phone works fine surfing the net via WI FI at home and at friends� houses, businesses that I have the security key for their routers.
    I �search for networks� all the time at all my different stops thought out the day. I find a lot of �open �networks here and there. When I find one (open network) I connect and then save it. The phone will auto connect to that network then next time I am near it.
    I surf get my pop email check weather news etc I have not found any limitations yet
    Hope that helps
    10-26-07 04:32 PM
    Question... when my Curve says UMA, and the WiFi is lit up, does that mean I am hooked in and making calls via my Wifi or am I still using my minutes? Don't have a "use Wifi and save your minutes" plan. Thanks!
    10-27-07 01:02 PM
    yes UMA is full service
    10-27-07 03:40 PM
    Question... when my Curve says UMA, and the WiFi is lit up, does that mean I am hooked in and making calls via my Wifi or am I still using my minutes? Don't have a "use Wifi and save your minutes" plan. Thanks!
    If you do not have the H&H plan, you calls will go out over WIFI with UMA but the minutes will be charged to your bucket of minutes that your plan allows. I have 5 phones so the extra $19.99 per month for all users allowed me to drop down $30.00 in my plan costs and we still do not use anywhere near the allowed 1,000 minutes because the majority of our calls now go out UMA with WIFI either at home, the office, school or the library and don't forget Starbucks. Hope this helps.

Doublekk2
    10-28-07 01:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD