I have tried looking around the forums for a fix but I don't see one. I have a Black Berry Curve 8330 with Alltel and I recently updated my phones software. I found out that this has removed the feature where if I am typing a text message and run out of room, it just keeps going and adds multiple messages. Now it simply says Field Full and I have to go start a whole new message. Is there anyway to undo this, or undo the update, or even install another message program for SMS text. Due to my business I tend to send upwards of 1000 long text messages a day and this is really a huge time consuming issue for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    12-22-08 01:22 PM
    Sms text has a limit. The limit is with all of the OS versioms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 01:30 PM
    Untill I updated I was not getting the Field Full message that forced me to stop, it would just run on into another message.
    12-22-08 01:31 PM
    you have to send the SMS as a MMS message in order to be over 160 characters which is the limit in an SMS text I believe.
    12-22-08 01:42 PM
    Yeah, use MMS. It allows 1,000 characters rather then 160 with SMS. But make sure the receipient has an MMS package, otherwise they will get charged for it.

12-22-08 01:47 PM
    Guys I know you must think I am full of crap or crazy, but I know 100% for certain that until I updated it was stringing together multiple sms texts. I have had the phone almost two weeks and believe me, I text non stop because of my business, I know for certain it was working until this morning when I updated.
    12-22-08 03:39 PM
    With or without the update the blackberry curve only allows you to type up to 6 sms text continuously before it cuts off . . . are you saying that it only allows you to write exactly one?
    12-22-08 03:45 PM
    You were using EMS, or Enhanced Message Service (basically SMS on
    steroids). That was what was allowing you to send more than 160 characters. Did you install the OS from your provider? Different providers enable EMS and some disable it. I would try to get an official OS from your provider since they originally provided you with their version that enables it.
    12-22-08 03:47 PM
    I believe what you're saying. When I start a new SMS, I get a status bar at the top that says "160 / 1 of 6". If I type more than 160 characters, it goes to "2 of 6". Trouble is, I don't see a setting anywhere that will change it.
    12-22-08 03:49 PM
    I believe what you're saying. When I start a new SMS, I get a status bar at the top that says "160 / 1 of 6". If I type more than 160 characters, it goes to "2 of 6". Trouble is, I don't see a setting anywhere that will change it.
    It's based on if your provider supports it or not. It's not an option on the phone.
    12-22-08 03:50 PM
    here is what you do, click on your messages > click on your menu button > go to options > general options

then simple scroll down to where it says "Auto More", and make sure that the option is set to yes.
    12-22-08 03:59 PM
    I see that from your and bebe's posts. Guess I was too slow on the post..
    12-22-08 03:59 PM
    here is what you do, click on your messages > click on your menu button > go to options > general options

then simple scroll down to where it says "Auto More", and make sure that the option is set to yes.
    That doesn't change anything for me, but I'm not having the issue. I rarely text, and when I do, I never have a need to go more than 160 characters. I keep it short and simple.
    12-22-08 04:03 PM

I don't think Auto More is for SMS. I believe it's for downloading a large email. Besides, I have that option enabled and I cannot send more than 160 characters. Again, it's based on if your provider supports it.
    12-22-08 04:04 PM
    Thats exactly what I mean, it is cutting me off at 1, my provider allows multiple SMS messaging, but the update I installed has disable the option, is there a way to strip the update off or get a different one that allows it? I really need some help here because I can no longer return this phone, and there is no way I could use this to run my business.
    12-22-08 05:56 PM
    Thats exactly what I mean, it is cutting me off at 1, my provider allows multiple SMS messaging, but the update I installed has disable the option, is there a way to strip the update off or get a different one that allows it? I really need some help here because I can no longer return this phone, and there is no way I could use this to run my business.
    You didn't answer my question.. Did you install the update from your carrier? Or did you use a generic OS from elsewhere?
    12-22-08 05:59 PM
    I appologise, I installed the update from the alltel website and have since tried the one on blackberry.com
    12-22-08 06:13 PM
    NP! If you currently have the OS installed from Alltel then I don't have any other suggestions besides contacting Alltel and asking them.
    12-22-08 06:56 PM
    I have alltel service and have had 2 curves and a pearl. I have never been able to send over 160 characters in an sms. It says field full and I have to start a new one. I also have the auto receive more set to yes. No multi sms.

12-22-08 06:57 PM
    I just got back from alltel, they told me to find an older software update and install that.
    12-22-08 09:41 PM
    I to have alltel have never been able to send a txt with more than 160 char. Not on my old phone treo or my BB also I am still runnin the old OS 4.3 I haven't updated.

12-22-08 09:56 PM
    I don't know what to say to that, I could do it with my old LG forum and I am 100% certain that until this morning I could do it with this curve.
    12-22-08 11:21 PM
    I thought that capability was carrier-controlled. I'd call Alltel if you can't find a fix here. I don't think I've ever surpassed 160 since I got my Curve, but I did frequently on my Nokia 6230 with AT&T. Hope you find the answer!

12-22-08 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD