So I am suddenly not receiving any SMS messages, but I can send just fine. Every now and then, I'll receive a message but it will immediately disappear from the list. Same applies for the call log/history, any numbers I've dialed/received appear in the call log for a few minutes then disappear. This is probably a total newbie question but I'm an old fart and can't seem to figure out what the issue is. It's a 8320 on T-Mobile. Any help would be appreciated.
    08-17-08 05:22 PM
    Check your memory options>staus>free file, post the number here then do a battery reset. If you do not have SD card highly reccommend you get one

Welcome to CB - we are here to help
    08-17-08 05:24 PM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. Stoner developed this procedure to guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    08-17-08 05:24 PM
    Hey jeff

Can I get of your macro for this
    08-17-08 05:27 PM
    hehehe...I took typing when typing wasn't cool...
    08-17-08 05:30 PM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. Stoner developed this procedure to guide you:

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    This post really helped, thank you much. As it turns out, File Free: 44604 Bytes. Yikes! In the process of removing stuff I don't need and following Stoner's guide. Again, thanks for the prompt help, it's much appreciated!
    08-17-08 05:32 PM
    You're very welcome. And welcome to the forums! When you're finished with Stoner, there's a wealth of good, general information in the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    08-17-08 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD