i am trying to restore files/apps onto a brand new 8320, from auto saved backup files of my old 8320 that took a swim.
    i took the latest backup file, but it seems as though nothing got restored.
    i tried application loader, but its saying there are no apps to load.
    So im trying to figure out how to get back all my themes, settings, OTA installs, etc. that i had on the old phone?
    The memory card is fine, it is showing pictures, etc.
    08-05-08 12:30 PM
    unless you made a backup from within the device switcher, you will not be able to recover applications... only backed up database files.

a backup file is in the .ipd format. a saved "device switch" file is in the .alx format.

to restore backed up databases from a backup file, you can use the DM's backup/restore function. the only things you'll restore are your databases... addressbook, calendar, tasks, memos, password keeper, device settings, etc. you'll have to manually reinstall all of your previous applications.

to create a FULL APPLICATION BACKUP, you can use the device switcher, and halfway thru the process, save the .alx and .cod files created in your temp folder combined with a backup .ipd file to be able to completely restore your device should another tragedy occur in the future.
    08-05-08 01:13 PM
    allright. thats where i went wrong. i assumed the backup was a full backup.
    08-05-08 03:04 PM
    It is alright man... refer to this in the future : http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/
    08-05-08 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD