Hey all...
    New to the site....
    I just got Fios, from Verizon installed in my home and they gave me thier wireless router (Actiontec MI424-WR) and it seems that it wont let me make any calls with UMA.....
    When I try making a call it will ring for 2 seconds and then calls fails. I can send and recieve text messages and get internet..... weird!!!
    When I go to my friends house it works fine with his router....
    I guess my question is, do I need to have any special settings for this new router I have looked on the site and can't seem to figure it out..... Without the UMA I can't get phone calls from my house, it was a big reason why I got this phone in the first place.... I appreciate your help!!!
    Ralph
    01-17-08 03:14 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I have called Blackberry help, Verizon FiOS help, and no gold. I have enabled port forwarding UDP any->500, UDP any->4500. I am still not sure about IPSEC passthrough. I have protocol IPSEC set to UDP 500->500 ESP AH. Still drops every call, and takes a while to re-establish a UMA connection on the BB. Anyone with some help?
    01-20-08 11:18 AM
    I am also having the same problem and been looking for an answer
    03-19-08 11:47 AM
    UMA is a maturing technology.

UMA Technology : Overview

In theory, there is a server watching over your unique device code. If you have adaquate WiFi or Bluetooth signal, the server changes a setting and UMA takes over. Everything is data, voice, email, messages and they should all find the right path.

A couple things don't appear to work as smoothly as they should. The difference between UMA and uma means loss of service. That should not be happening.

Have you surveyed your site to verify your Wifi signal strength? You can find that under Mannage Connections > Wifi Options > Wifi Diagnostics > Site Survey.

When you are close to your Router, you should be seeing a strong signal, -40 dBm or better. Further away, you will loose signal strength, but you can still maintain a reliable connection to -80 dBm.

Less then that, UMA is less reliable then EDGE and the server flips the setting back.

Simple in concept, still needs some tweaking for prime time.
    Last edited by Stoner; 03-19-08 at 12:25 PM.
    03-19-08 12:22 PM
    I had the same problem and I believe the problem is with the wireless access point part of the router. when I swithed off wireless security, things did seem to work fine. However, one thing I also noticed is that the wireless speed performance of the actiontec was not as good as my old router (Buffalo Technology WZR-RS-54G). On a wireless connection with the ActionTec, the best I could get was maybe 12-15Mbps. So what I decided to do was to use the Buffalo router as my wireless access point. This is very simple to do with any wireless router:

1) Disable the DHCP server in your old router
    2) Turn off the wireless in the Verizon Actiontec router
    3) Connect one of the LAN ports from your old router to one of the LAN ports on the Verizon router (very important that you use the LAN ports on your old router and leave the WAN porter empty)

So with this, i'm back to the full 20Mbps on my wireless connection and my 8830 is working fine on UMA.

Just to be on the safe side, I also created firewall and QoS entries for my UMA phones in the Verizon router.
    03-19-08 02:32 PM
    ok...I just read all these posts and they seem like foreign language to me and I am not computer illiterate. can u break this down for me a little more. And by the way, I am having these same issues with the T-Mobile router. Will things with my router be different then what you were talking about here. I am so lost and tired of trying to figure it out on my own...
    03-19-08 02:44 PM
    Nycflyguy has the answer I still have not found a true fix for the FIOS router just the work around posted above all the fios routers act the same with uma

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 02:49 PM
    ... can u break this down for me a little more.
    There appear to be two issues, first is connecting to your router. Some routers are better then others. T-Mobile reccomends their optimized router, a Linksys WRT54G. The stock model works well too.

Second is UMA preformance and the ability to stay connected to your email service. That is most likely a carrier issue, the geeks are pushing buttons like mad trying to make this work.
    03-19-08 04:09 PM
    I need to correct myself.

My phone is not Wifi so I guess that is one problem. If I get a USB Bluetooth Bongle I should be able to access my Verizon Router?
    I got a Curve 8310 with GPS and not WIFI I wish it had both
    03-19-08 04:55 PM
    The UMA specification includes Bluetooth, but I have not seen any reference to it being used for UMA connection.
    03-19-08 05:11 PM
    I'm mad at myself for spending over 2.5 hours on the phone with Verizon and T-Mobile. I should have remembered to come here first! I am having the same problem with my Blackberry 8320. So since it's a router issue, and I see that someone said they got nowhere with Actiontec, can you tell me what Actiontec's response was to this BS?

Thanks!
    Shannon
    03-27-08 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD