10-01-09 03:12 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi Everyone,

I have a blackberry 8310 by AT&T and the software version is v4.2.2.170, platform 2.5.0.30.

My concern is that while i am already on an existing call or listening to songs thru the media player....my phone reboots on its own. I have not been able to understand why would it be doing this. Does anyone have a clue about this or would suggest me what to do.

Thanks,
    Amish
    09-27-09 09:46 PM
    Just a suggestion, upgrade your OS. That can fix some issues.

Your BB OS is pretty old, there is a sticky with the latest OS available near the top of this forum.
    09-27-09 09:48 PM
    Along with old OS is an old battery?

If you haven't replaced your battery yet, I think it is time to get a new one. The radio transmitter in the phone is a power hog. When your battery has a bad cell, one of the first things to trigger a reboot/shutdown is a call. Media player is also causing this because it uses an amplifier to drive the external speaker.

Plug your BB into a charger. If calls and media player are fine, then it is the battery.

After you get a new battery, then you can upgrade to 4.5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 09:53 PM
    Thank you guys.....Can you also tell me whats the lastest software OS i should upgrade and how to go about upgrading.

I am a novice and dont wanna risk not updating it the right way. Also where should I get the link for the new OS.?
    09-27-09 09:56 PM
    Also what version of Desktop Manager should I download. I was checking RIM's website and it gives me so many options for 4.5 version download in the form of one with media manager one without media manager and one for USB. I am completely lost.....Please help friends....

Thanks
    09-27-09 10:02 PM
    I recommend DM 4.6 without media manager, or DM 5.0

The latest OS for your device can be found in a sticky thread at the top of this forum. Instructiions are in the first post of the thread.

You can also use this guide:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

09-27-09 10:11 PM
    Guys would upgrading to BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 suffice my problem?
    09-27-09 10:22 PM
    Thanks Xliderider. QQ - I just started downloading V 4.6 desktop software, is that OK. Also what's the difference between with media manager and without media manager.....

Thanks,
    Amish
    09-27-09 10:24 PM
    Ok....I may sound dumb while asking this but where do I find the sticky you guys are referring to .....I need to check the OS available for my fone. Can someone just give me the link?

Thanks
    09-27-09 10:26 PM
    Media Manager is useless IMO. You can use Mass Storage Mode to transfer pics, music, and vids to your BB, as long as you have a memory card installed. And you should have a memory card in your BB, because you don't want media taking up valuable system memory in your BB.

09-27-09 10:28 PM
    It's here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...s-back-314598/

But I really think you should get a new battery before trying to upgrade your OS.

09-27-09 10:30 PM
    Thanks for all your help Xliderider.......but why is changing battery before upgrading to OS so imp as per you. No offence but I am just trying to understand from your perspective.

Also, should i upgrade the OS using desktop manager V4.5 or 4.6.

Which one do you recommened?
    09-27-09 10:33 PM
    Also can i just upgrade the OS or do I have to use the crackmem thingy suggested in your post....?
    09-27-09 10:35 PM
    U still here or left.....sorry to bother ya so much but if u can shed some light on this....it would be great :-)

Cheers,
    Amish
    09-27-09 10:41 PM
    Sorry, had a dinner party. The reason why I suggest getting a new battery first is because your BB could possibly be bricked if you try and do the upgrade with a battery that is giving you problems.

Even if you manage to upgrade the OS, you will still have problems with the BB if you continue to use the old battery.

Like I said earlier, do the simple test of making or receiving calls with the BB plugged in to a charger. If tje BB doesn't shut down or reboot, then you have a bad battery.

09-28-09 03:56 AM
    No, you don't need to use CrackMem if you don't want to. It is an advanced tool to use if you want to have more memory available on your BB after the OS is loaded.

95% of users probably don't use CrackMem or Shrink a OS before loading their OS (before I get comments on that %, I admit I totally made that up )

09-28-09 03:59 AM
    No worries.....hope you enjoyed the dinner party. Now here is the deal......

I was able to successfully upgrade my OS to 4.5.0.110 and feel the GUI difference too but something is seriously wrong.

Earlier my fone used to work fine and only reboot randomly when I am trying to make a call or receive a call or while playing songs.....but after updating the OS, my fone has started to reboot after every 10 mins on its own.

Even while I am sending txt or reading my mails or connecting the fone to my laptop to transfer files to my media card......it's rebooting like crazy and its so madenning.....

What could be the reason....? Also, I will change the battery but it will take me sometime to get it.......

My concern is....if its really the battery now thats causing the trouble.....why would my fone reboot after every 10 mins or so on its own. Even when the fone is lying idle...its rebooting it on its own.

Please help.....cos its irritating me now :-(

Thanks XLIDERIDER
    09-28-09 12:58 PM
    Dude, chill out, I told you it might not be a good idea to upgrade before replacing the battery, but you did it anyway.

So you have two choices:

1) Go buy a replacement battery pronto.

2) Downgrade back to the OS that you had originally and hope the problem is as intermittent as it was to begin with. I'm going to tell you this is the more difficult route, because the old OS may be difficult to locate, and even though you go back to the old OS, your battery might be just bad already and it will make no difference.
    09-28-09 01:46 PM
    Thanks dude....downgrade is not an option but I will try to get the battery asap.....

Lets see if I have to bear this for some more days. I am just worried on getting disconnected from calls whenever someone calls me as I really need to be on the move and be in touch with peeps.

Also, how do I check out the free memory space. I have been reading the OS upgrade threads and everyone keeps referring to free memory space.....

Let me know
    09-28-09 01:57 PM
    Options, Status third line down is your free memory. Much less than 10 XXX XXX and you will have problems.

09-28-09 02:08 PM
    i had the same problem, bought a new battery and it worked perfectly fine. try it
    09-28-09 02:11 PM
    Xliderider - You are a saviour....thanks. QQ - Do you think the new OS that I have is good for me 4.5.0.110 or should I upgrade to any other version of OS. If yes, would you be kind enough to provide me with the right link that I should download and upgrade.

Sbkid2008 - Thanks, I will get the new battery in next 2 days. Thanks again.....
    09-28-09 02:18 PM
    Stick with this OS for a few weeks lol. It is a big change from 4.2

After you get your new battery and you still have the itch, then you can try out the stickied OS at the top of this forum for your device (4.5.0.16X).

09-28-09 02:21 PM
    Honestly its just the GUI which is different, correct me if I am wrong. Also, I never realized that the battery life is dependant on the OS you are running.....

Also, I have posted another thread about texting - protocol error. Check and see if you have any insights on that too......
    09-28-09 02:29 PM
    Big change from 4.2 to 4.5, better browser, better memory management, no preloaded wallpapers, video camera, support for larger capacity microSD memory cards (including high capacity SDHC cards).

09-28-09 02:40 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD