Things that my BB now does randomly and frequently:

1.) Will just start spinning the hourglass for no reason and lock me out of any apps for 2-10 minutes
    2.) Lag/delay on just about everything I do (but not all the time)
    3.) Delayed ringer. Today I got phone call but the ringtone was actually delayed until after I received the voicemail. I powered off the phone (while it was still ringing), and when I powered it back on, it kept ringing!
    4.) Sometimes no ringtone, just a little beep or no beep and I will see the call on the screen but it doesn't ring
    5.) Freeze up completely if I try to send an MMS

If I do a battery pull during any of these symptoms it clears them up but gradually they will return with more frequency until I'm forced to do a battery pull again. This happens almost every day.

Info:
    BB 8320 (1 yr old)
    v4.5.0.81 (2.7.0.78)
    Kernel v3.8.5.32a

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,
    - Petronius

P.S. I mistakenly posted this in the Gemini area but am unable to delete it, sorry.
    06-29-09 12:03 PM
    What you file free?

Also List all apps on your BB.

Do you properly close all apps win done with them?
    06-29-09 12:05 PM
    Try taking your media card out and see if you still have problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 12:06 PM
    memory on the phone is prolly full. not the sd card thts a separate drive it wouldnt slow the phone down. it would more likely if you had a bunch of themes on there or 3rd party apps
    06-29-09 12:29 PM
    memory on the phone is prolly full. not the sd card thts a separate drive it wouldnt slow the phone down. it would more likely if you had a bunch of themes on there or 3rd party apps

Don't be so quick to say that it would have anything to do with the OP's problems. The card can corrupt the phone, has happened before and their are other problems that the card can cause.
    06-29-09 12:34 PM
    The best clue is the spinning hour glass. That indicates a high priority task is being serviced by Sun Java. The most common is dealing with low memory issues.

Ideally, you would like to see 20+ Mb of file free space after a battery pull. If it is less then 10 Mb, you would likely benifit by a memory optimizaton.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    06-29-09 12:41 PM
    And periodically you need to manage your memory to prevent resouces from being tied up. Always shut apps down when you are done with them - press the menu key and select close or exit. Check the apps running in the background by pressing the alt and the back key at the same time. That opens the device switcher. There will be 5 always open, call log, message folder, home screen and browser. All others can be closed.

Keep in mind that your file free memory is something to pay attention to, as well as your browser cache especially if your problems happen when you're in your browser. You do need to follow the memory optimization guide Reed linked above. Before you do that, you should take a couple steps to free up memory now - and these are the steps to follow if your ff drops to below 12mb again (I also put in good browser settings for you:-)). Check your file free number at Options-status:

First clear your cache:

To clear your browser's cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Then reset your Curve. A soft is usually good, but a hard reset is close to a battery pull:
    Soft Reset for the Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.

Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Or do a battery pull

Then set up your browser:Browser Settings:
    Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

And finally, take a good look at your apps and delete the ones you don't need.

Good luck!

06-29-09 12:55 PM
    Don't be so quick to say that it would have anything to do with the OP's problems. The card can corrupt the phone, has happened before and their are other problems that the card can cause.
    That's exactly right a corrupt media card can cause a BB to act crazy and another reason why I suggested taking the card out is because the OP stated having already tried battery pulls which frees up available memory and the problems aren't being solved.

06-29-09 12:59 PM
    May be a card, if it is, the first step would be to backup it's data on on the PC, then format the card in place, put data back on and see if that solves it first. The OP stated he does batt pulls and the problem gradually returns over a day or two. Often this is a sign of a file free memory problem. The steps Reed and I outlined are those all BlackBerry users should know and follow.

Last edited by exelant; 06-29-09 at 03:05 PM.
    06-29-09 01:26 PM
    That's exactly right a corrupt media card can cause a BB to act crazy and another reason why I suggested taking the card out is because the OP stated having already tried battery pulls which frees up available memory and the problems aren't being solved.

One of the first things the insurance provider says before replacing a device they sent out is take out the memory card...so I agree
    06-29-09 01:29 PM
    I guess I'll reply here since you responded here.

I frequently have "0" bytes free with no apps open. I thought it was an OS problem but I'm starting to think the internal mem is jacked.
    Posted in a parallel thread.

I belive you have indentified the problem, 0 memory available.
    06-29-09 01:29 PM

Your post was fine, it bugs me when someone say that your suggestion is not going to be useful. Memory cards have fried BB's, as we all know memory leaks are our biggest enemy. So every reply in this thread was useful except for that one from Wesatkins.
    Last edited by JoeyMoose; 06-29-09 at 01:40 PM.
    06-29-09 01:37 PM
    Yeah it bugs me immensely when people do that.

Thanks for backing me up

06-29-09 01:43 PM
    Yeah it bugs me immensely when people do that.

Thanks for backing me up

Anytime.
    06-29-09 01:47 PM
    by petronius:I guess I'll reply here since you responded here. I frequently have "0" bytes free with no apps open. I thought it was an OS problem but I'm starting to think the internal mem is jacked
    Yes, I would say the problem has been identified

06-29-09 01:48 PM
    Bugs me too Joey.

Last edited by exelant; 06-29-09 at 03:27 PM.
    06-29-09 03:08 PM
    Your post was fine, it bugs me when someone say that your suggestion is not going to be useful. Memory cards have fried BB's, as we all know memory leaks are our biggest enemy. So every reply in this thread was useful except for that one from Wesatkins.
    Part of the beauty of an interactive forum, we can all contribute something. It is the way we contribute that makes it work so well, instant feedback.

Until the problem is solved, all ideas and suggestions are welcome. When it is resolved, we all learn something from the process.

06-29-09 03:21 PM
    I apologize if anyone thought I didn't think their post was valuable. All the solutions posted were good ones. I edited a post to remove something that might have given that impression. My aim is only to help.

06-29-09 03:26 PM
    Part of the beauty of an interactive forum, we can all contribute something. It is the way we contribute that makes it work so well, instant feedback.

Until the problem is solved, all ideas and suggestions are welcome. When it is resolved, we all learn something from the process.

I guess i just have been noticing more and more flaming and rude comments lately?
    06-29-09 03:31 PM
    I guess i just have been noticing more and more flaming and rude comments lately?
    We have members that are roll models, exelant ranks near the top of that list. Leading by example.

As our membership has grown, we are welcoming members from varied backgrounds. We have the tools in place to manage the worst abuses, our members are empowered to report a violation of TOS or abuse. We can and do respond, we are driven by BlackBerry.

Those of our member that enjoy helping share in the rewards, we can do BlackBerry Magic.
    06-29-09 03:40 PM
    The question remains....how can I have 0 bytes file free with no apps open? I've done a gazillion battery pulls so what is hogging the memory?

Wish there was an app to show which app was using it up.
    06-29-09 09:18 PM
    Could you have pictures stored on the device memory?

06-29-09 09:35 PM
    Well I removed my 2gb memory card and rebooted. Still 0 bytes file free.

Not sure what to do at this point. I guess start uninstalling everything. Like I said b4...it would be nice to have some way of seeing which app is hoovering all my memory.
    06-29-09 11:26 PM
    What apps do you have?

Are you sure that your pictures are being stored on your media card?

Have you tried the memory optimization that was suggested?

06-29-09 11:36 PM
    Found the problem. Google mobile app was keeping the memory locked. After uninstalling and resetting the handset: 1727915 bytes free.

Thanks all.
    06-30-09 01:23 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD